Vandy ($15k), Minnesota ($25k), UCI ($40k), or Arizona (full Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Vanderbilt ($15k/yr)
50%
Minnesota ($25k/yr)
15%
UCI ($40k/yr)
17%
Arizona (full tuition scholarship)
19%

Total votes: 48

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Vandy ($15k), Minnesota ($25k), UCI ($40k), or Arizona (full

Post by FrankGallagher » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 pm

so I have no idea where I should go. Vanderbilt has been my top choice all along, but they gave me a lower offer than I was hoping for (is there any way I could negotiate based on these other offers?).

What complicates this is that except for Minnesota, the ASW's for all these schools are over the same April 5 weekend. And Arizona needs me to accept the full tuition scholarship by April 6. So I need a strategy for visiting - I'm hoping I can hit up UCI and Zona over spring break.

I'm somewhat debt averse as I don't plan on going into biglaw. I have no idea how to compare a small scholarship at Vandy to a full at Arizona. And then theres Minnesota with a solid offer, and then I dont have any idea on what to think about UCI since they're unranked. I'm basically panicking because I was hoping for a better offer from Vanderbilt and I just got it today.

What do you guys think? Is one of these a better offer than the others, or more value? What would you do?

I'm from Chicago and attend U of Iowa. Would love to go somewhere warm, which makes everything look better except Minnesota. But I also don't want to discount Minnesota just because of the weather because they seem like a great school. I just don't know. Help!

edit: should also add that I probably want to end up in the Midwest after law school. but at the same time I kind of want to leave the midwest for these three years since i want to live in another part of the country, and otherwise i'm living in the same area my whole life. sorry if that doesnt make sense

Nova

Platinum

Re: Vandy ($15k), Minnesota ($25k), UCI ($40k), or Arizona (full

Post by Nova » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 pm

FrankGallagher wrote: edit: should also add that I probably want to end up in the Midwest after law school. but at the same time I kind of want to leave the midwest for these three years since i want to live in another part of the country, and otherwise i'm living in the same area my whole life. sorry if that doesnt make sense
Since youre looking at regionals, you need to go to a law school that feeds into the market you wish to practice. Reputation and Alumni networks are invaluable. The time for exploration was undergrad, unfortunatily.

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 pm

well i should say that working in the midwest is just a preference, its not a must. i could work anywhere

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 pm

FrankGallagher wrote:well i should say that working in the midwest is just a preference, its not a must. i could work anywhere
Oh, I see. Could you calculate your total cost of attendence each(tuition + fees + cost of living) + any undergrad debt you have ? That number will give a paint a better picture.

What legal fields are you interested in? Do you want big law?

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 am

Nova wrote: The time for exploration was undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Nova wrote:
FrankGallagher wrote:well i should say that working in the midwest is just a preference, its not a must. i could work anywhere
Oh, I see. Could you calculate your total cost of attendence each(tuition + fees + cost of living) + any undergrad debt you have ? That number will give a paint a better picture.

What legal fields are you interested in? Do you want big law?
id be paying about the following for tuition at each school (over three years):

Vanderbilt: $98,000
Minnesota: $61,500
UC-Irvine: $39,000
Arizona: 0

idk about all the other costs...i assume they'd be somewhat comparable other than UCI might be more

i dont want to do biglaw. im not exactly sure what i want to do, im thinking public interest

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Add estimated costs of living to those totals. Otherwise they are misleadingly low. Most schools post estimated COL on their website, but if you really can't find it, add maybe 50K to each to get a rough sense.

Pumpkin_Pie

New

Post by Pumpkin_Pie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Arizona's employment stats are pretty good. Since you don't want big law, I'd go for free.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 pm

don't go to TTT UCI

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:38 am

I don't understand how people can go to law school just knowing that they "don't want biglaw" and want to do "public interest" when they don't know what either of these things really mean.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:06 am

ndirish2010 wrote:I don't understand how people can go to law school just knowing that they "don't want biglaw" and want to do "public interest" when they don't know what either of these things really mean.
Exactly why when someone asks me what kind of law I want to do, my response is, "Maybe become a DDA or work in the corporate world, but it could all change while I'm in law school."

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I don't understand how people can go to law school just knowing that they "don't want biglaw" and want to do "public interest" when they don't know what either of these things really mean.
i actually agree with this, but figured people would ask. its more just that id prefer to keep my options open, which is why having no or less debt would obviously be better as opposed to having a ton of debt and being forced to take the highest paying job i could get

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Add estimated costs of living to those totals. Otherwise they are misleadingly low. Most schools post estimated COL on their website, but if you really can't find it, add maybe 50K to each to get a rough sense.
And interest and fees, which is probably another 10. This is going to cost a lot more than OP thinks.

OP, you really didn't do a good job applying to schools, to be quite honest. If you're from the Midwest, you should have peppered the Midwestern peer schools (UIUC, WUSTL, Iowa, etc.). IMO, you shouldn't be looking at places like UCI and Arizona unless you have ties. I think a full ride in the Midwest is a better option than a full ride at Arizona given your background.

What are your numbers? Any chance to improve your LSAT on a retake?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 am

romothesavior wrote:And interest and fees, which is probably another 10. This is going to cost a lot more than OP thinks.
I was only looking at each schools tuition, because thats where the major difference in $ will be. I understand there are obviously other costs, but I'm assuming they will mostly be comparable between schools.
romothesavior wrote:OP, you really didn't do a good job applying to schools, to be quite honest. If you're from the Midwest, you should have peppered the Midwestern peer schools (UIUC, WUSTL, Iowa, etc.). IMO, you shouldn't be looking at places like UCI and Arizona unless you have ties. I think a full ride in the Midwest is a better option than a full ride at Arizona given your background.

What are your numbers? Any chance to improve your LSAT on a retake?
I did apply to those schools. I should reiterate that working in the Midwest isn't a make-or-break thing for me. It's a preference, yes, but it isn't necessary. It just gives a slight downgrade in value to UCI or Arizona for me. Anyways, Here's the breakdown of where I applied besides these four:

Accepted
Indiana - no substantial scholarship
Iowa - haven't heard about scholarships yet...I also go to Iowa for undergrad and don't really want to stay here for 3 more years
Illinois - 25% tuition scholarship. As a resident of IL, that's worth slightly less than $10k/yr

Waitlisted
UCLA
Texas

Still waiting to hear back
Chicago
NYU
GULC
UVA
WUSTL
BU

Rejected
UC-Berkeley
Northwestern
romothesavior wrote:What are your numbers? Any chance to improve your LSAT on a retake?
169, 3.31

I doubt retaking the LSAT would help me here - that's the strength of my application.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 am

You should have way better offers on the table with a 169/3.3. When did you apply? I'd take a year or two off, retake, and ED Northwestern.

And I get that practicing in the Midwest isn't a necessity for you, but since you're from here, it would give you the best job chances. Relocating to somewhere across the country puts you at a disadvantage.

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:38 am

i applied at the start of december to all schools except uva, gtown, and wustl...which i didnt apply to until a few weeks ago

what offers should i be getting with a 1.69/3.31? i thought id be borderline to even get into vanderbilt. my gpa is lower than every school's 25th percentile.

waiting a year or two isnt really an option. my gpa can't improve. it wouldnt be easy to improve upon my 169 lsat, and im not sure if a couple points would make a huge difference. i could be wrong though

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 am

FrankGallagher wrote:i applied at the start of december to all schools except uva, gtown, and wustl...which i didnt apply to until a few weeks ago

what offers should i be getting with a 1.69/3.31? i thought id be borderline to even get into vanderbilt. my gpa is lower than every school's 25th percentile.

waiting a year or two isnt really an option. my gpa can't improve. it wouldnt be easy to improve upon my 169 lsat, and im not sure if a couple points would make a huge difference. i could be wrong though
A 170+/3+ will make you competitive at the splitter-friendly T14s. I would have expected more dough from the splitter-friendly T20s.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 am

FrankGallagher wrote: waiting a year or two isnt really an option. my gpa can't improve. it wouldnt be easy to improve upon my 169 lsat, and im not sure if a couple points would make a huge difference. i could be wrong though
So instead you'll make a gamble by going to expensive schools with mediocre career options, with the exception of Vanderbilt, which is just way too expensive, and all of these schools are in regions in which it will be hard for you to get a job?

The time for exploration and picking up and moving somewhere new was undergrad. Sorry brah.

Retake and reapply is the only smart decision.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 am

Romo and rad speak the truth. Ignoring their advice would (will) be catastrophic.

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Romo and rad speak the truth. Ignoring their advice would (will) be catastrophic.

really? catastrophic? i dont think any of these four options would be as bad as you are making it sound.

its pretty interesting that minn/uci/zona are exactly even in the poll results, i would have expected some differentiation. still half the people are voting vanderbilt as the best even with only $15k. im gonna end up visiting all four of these and then reevaluate...and hopefully by then i will have heard from some other schools

Arcticlynx

New

Post by Arcticlynx » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I have no idea what UCI is like is a law school, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Arcticlynx wrote:I have no idea what UCI is like is a law school, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Any particular reason why? Being from around the area I am just curious. Now if you said you were a URM or LGBT, then I could understand why you want to avoid O.C. But I don't know if you are.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 pm

FrankGallagher wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Romo and rad speak the truth. Ignoring their advice would (will) be catastrophic.

really? catastrophic? i dont think any of these four options would be as bad as you are making it sound.

its pretty interesting that minn/uci/zona are exactly even in the poll results, i would have expected some differentiation. still half the people are voting vanderbilt as the best even with only $15k. im gonna end up visiting all four of these and then reevaluate...and hopefully by then i will have heard from some other schools
Go look at LST an get scared

Arcticlynx

New

Post by Arcticlynx » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Arcticlynx wrote:I have no idea what UCI is like is a law school, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Any particular reason why? Being from around the area I am just curious. Now if you said you were a URM or LGBT, then I could understand why you want to avoid O.C. But I don't know if you are.
Ok, subjective statement. compared with Portland, OR and Flagstaff, AZ I did not enjoy my time in Anaheim... I thought that there was comparatively very little to do, lots of people, lots of traffic and felt kinda trapped in a big city... I don't think it has much character, but that is my impression after living there for two months - so I should have qualified my statement.
I have no idea what UCI is like is a law school, but based on personal experience - Tucson is a better place to live in my opinion.
[/quote]

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

just got accepted to WUSTL, so ill have to see what scholarship they offer me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”