Illinois ($) vs. Iowa (in-state)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Illinois ($) vs. Iowa (in-state)

Illinois (1/3 scholly)
89%
Iowa (in-state w/o scholly)
11%

Total votes: 9

padittme

New

Illinois ($) vs. Iowa (in-state)?

Post by padittme » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

I've been perusing this site for a while now and am hoping to get some suggestions. I have to decide pretty soon here between Illinois (1/3 scholarship right now, with the possibility of it increasing) and Iowa (in-state w/o scholly). This makes them fairly similar price-wise.
Illinois doesn't stack sections or have any stips so I'm told.
Although my family and friends are here in Iowa, I know that I don't want to work in IA upon graduation. I'd much rather be in a larger city such as Chicago, which is why I'm looking at Illinois pretty closely. Biglaw would be great, but I'd be fine without it (which is good b/c I know my chances coming from either schools are slim to none). I would be graduating with little to no debt with either option. My parents are helping me out. From what most of the people here have been saying, the whole scandal (and the subsquent drop in rankings) shouldn't have much of an effect on prospects, correct?
I am worried, however, that if I go to Illinois, given what everyone's saying here about how poor the current Chicago market is right now, I may not even have a job after graduation. What to do??? According to LST, Illinois has a pretty shitty employment rate (worse than Iowa’s) but is this mostly because Chicago was rough? Whereas IA kids stayed in IA where things are less competitive?
Before everyone says retake, the only school that I would consider waiting another cycle for would be Northwestern (doubt I could get in/afford/want to attend Chicago), but I don’t have much in the way of W/E and don’t have any job lined up at this point in time. Unless any W/E suffices such as helping out in a law office or something, I don’t think this is really a viable option. Also, my parents have said they may not help me out if I decide to wait a year. I'm a Chinese and Finance double major with a 3.7. Took the lsat once after a month of intense but maybe misguided self-study. Got a 160:/ I was happy with it at the time (naiively assuming I'd go to Iowa and be fine for the Chicago market), but now that I know Iowa is placing nowhere near where it was a few years ago (which still wasn't the best), I'm not so sure.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Illinois ($) vs. Iowa (in-state)?

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm

padittme wrote: Unless any W/E suffices such as helping out in a law office or something, I don’t think this is really a viable option. Also, my parents have said they may not help me out if I decide to wait a year.
No, they don't care. You could stack shelves at Walmart.

Your parents really need to understand that you aren't spending the year sitting around and partying. It's an investment in taking the LSAT that could be worth tens of thousands of dollars or vastly improved career prospects.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Why won't your parents help out if you wait a year? I would try to have a long and calm discussion with them of the benefits in waiting. Explain to them that a higher score could either mean they pay much less money for UIUC next year, or you get into much better schools.
A month of prep really isn't much. You're only cheating yourself by not retaking.
However, if you absolutely have to choose, I'd pick UIUC if you really don't want to be in Iowa.

padittme

New

Post by padittme » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 pm

I really appreciate the constructive feedback already. Their concerns are mostly financial. One's retired and the other will be sometime soon. They're very risk averse and think it's just a big gamble. I think they assume I'm being selfish and am not considering the fact that I can be a lawyer without being a Biglaw master of the Universe. But, then again, they haven't seen the employment stats that I have (50-60 %)?

One of my biggest questions that this has brought up is, if things don't go according to plan and I only get, let's say, a 165 after two retakes, will Illinois and Iowa still want me? And want me enough to throw a significant amount of money my way? Or would they wonder why I didn't just enroll in the first place? Logically, you would think they would just want me for my numbers, but does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

Also, does Northwestern really not care what sort of W/E it is? This would be great news, but I've heard that they ask about management experience in the interview process, which leads me to believe they're looking for a bit more meaningful work? (I guess I would have a shot at doing some random work for 6 mo. while trying to find a decent Finance/Business related internship for the next 6. I haven't applied anywhere b/c I figured I was going to LS and my uni's job fair is tomorrow). Would I be shooting for a 170 for NU then? (my gpa may go down to a high 3.6. There's also a distinct downward slope to my gpa trend). The only book I really used for prep (other than PT's) was the logic games bible (b/c at first I was utterly clueless when it came to the logic games)... but turns out my reading comp was pretty shit too. I only practiced RC from older exams before they revamped it.

If I am stuck with choosing between Iowa and Illinois, we are thinking Illinois then? I also don't want to be screwed and get stuck in some random city in Illinois. I'm really hoping for Chicago.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am

padittme wrote:If I am stuck with choosing between Iowa and Illinois, we are thinking Illinois then? I also don't want to be screwed and get stuck in some random city in Illinois. I'm really hoping for Chicago.
Be sure to bear in mind that when you graduate, you'll be competing for the Chicago jobs with U Chicago and Northwestern grads. That being said, if you go to UIUC, you'll be able to take classes in Chicago during your 3L year. If you take advantage of your time there and engage in lots of networking, you'll have a better shot at landing a job in Chicago. It's just a toss-up.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

padittme wrote: One of my biggest questions that this has brought up is, if things don't go according to plan and I only get, let's say, a 165 after two retakes, will Illinois and Iowa still want me? And want me enough to throw a significant amount of money my way? Or would they wonder why I didn't just enroll in the first place? Logically, you would think they would just want me for my numbers, but does anyone have first-hand experience with this?
They'll want you. Those schools don't have the luxury of being picky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”