Thomas Jefferson School of Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Platinum

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Post by Nova » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Jcosma wrote:
guano wrote:
Jcosma wrote:Egregious anti TJLS trolling
I'm not sure if it's trolling if it's all true
I was...joking
delivery is often lost in translation online

post more so people can tell when youre joking

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Isn't this the second time you posted this

Jcosma

New

Post by Jcosma » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 pm

john1990 wrote:
No

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Jcosma wrote:
john1990 wrote:
No

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 pm

S/he has 5 posts, it's not hard to figure s/he didn't post that already.

Also, you need to stop peddling this pseudo-statistical mumbo jumbo. You can't parse your employment prospects at a school by dividing the percentage of people getting a job by your predicted rank in class. You simply can't, and telling people you can is irresponsible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:28 pm

John, as entertaining as your trolling is, you have taken a turn for the dark side. Peddling your pseudo-mathematical "statistics" might actually trick someone into believing your nonsense, and more importantly, it's just not funny. Go back to being a funny troll. I liked it when you made me laugh.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:16 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:John, as entertaining as your trolling is, you have taken a turn for the dark side. Peddling your pseudo-mathematical "statistics" might actually trick someone into believing your nonsense, and more importantly, it's just not funny. Go back to being a funny troll. I liked it when you made me laugh.

bananatopia

New

Post by bananatopia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 pm

john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes
So. Much. Fail...
For starters, your method for projecting your class rank is flawed because it assigns 100% confidence to projecting Law School class rank with LSAT scores. In reality, the correlation between students' ranks among their entering class in uGPA/LSAT index and their actual class rank in law school is around 0.57. That's from memory, but it's in the ballpark. The coefficient of explanation, therefore, is around 0.325. This is the best available predictor of grades, and it only explains about one third of eventual class rank. Therefore, in practice, the best you can project yourself in final class rank upon entering a law school is 66th percentile, because the mean class rank, 50, will receive 67% of the weight in the projection and your incoming rank in the uGPA/LSAT index will receive only 33% of the weight. That means, even for students that enter with the most promising numbers in their class, there's only a 50% chance that they'll end in the 33% of the class.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:09 pm

bananatopia wrote:
john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes
So. Much. Fail...
For starters, your method for projecting your class rank is flawed because it assigns 100% confidence to projecting Law School class rank with LSAT scores. In reality, the correlation between students' ranks among their entering class in uGPA/LSAT index and their actual class rank in law school is around 0.57. That's from memory, but it's in the ballpark. The coefficient of explanation, therefore, is around 0.325. This is the best available predictor of grades, and it only explains about one third of eventual class rank. Therefore, in practice, the best you can project yourself in final class rank upon entering a law school is 66th percentile, because the mean class rank, 50, will receive 67% of the weight in the projection and your incoming rank in the uGPA/LSAT index will receive only 33% of the weight. That means, even for students that enter with the most promising numbers in their class, there's only a 50% chance that they'll end in the 33% of the class.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Its a sound choice

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”