USCvUCLAvNYUvPennvUVA-Want to practice in socal Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USCvUCLAvNYUvPennvUVA (updated)

USC ($135k)
25%
UCLA (Full Ride)
50%
NYU (Sticker)
No votes
Penn (?)
No votes
UVA ($105k)
25%

Total votes: 12

crossingforHYS

Silver

Re: USC$$$vUCLA$$$vNYU-Want to practice in socal

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am

john7234797 wrote:Don't screw over your parents. NYU isn't HYS. It's not going to give you a significantly better chance in LA than UCLA. Don't be a T14 prestige whore. Did you apply Berkely?
thats bullshit

msg me. People here do not know the market well in socal. I just went through OGI in LA from uva.

being from NYU will give you a leg up.

is it worth the money? thats your call

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am

Congrats on such a successful application season!

NYU will give you a leg up over USC/UCLA in SoCal, but not to the extent that it's worth the extra $120k (assuming sticker at all 3 would be similar).

If you want entertainment law, you have to be in NY or LA. It doesn't exist anywhere else. (And as I'm sure you already know, is really just transactional law and soft IP but with particularly eccentric clients, but the clients are only in NY and LA).

Entertainment law, like anything else in entertainment, requires networking like crazy and paying your dues before getting to do the fun stuff (of course dues paying can be fun, too, just at a very low wage). You have to be in NY or LA for this. Since you want LA in the long run, I'd stay there and build a network. Networking in NY can help you in LA (coastal people love coastal people), but not significantly. Also, in NY, you're there with Columbia and Yale kids also networking, and NY lawyers, even in entertainment law, are big prestige whores. In LA, either of those schools would be solid.

As for choosing between USC and UCLA, they're pretty equal. Go with the one you like better based on class size, course offerings, professors, etc. Factor in cost, too, particularly if you get instate tuition at UCLA.

(Basis for my advice: studied and worked in entertainment in NY, worked for a V10 in NY as a support staffer, applied and interviewed for entertainment law summer jobs in LA, declined an entertainment law internship for a higher paying regular SA in LA). Feel free to PM me with entertainment law questions.

mh013

New

Post by mh013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Upped to a full ride at UCLA...looks like I'll be staying in Westwood next year

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

mh013 wrote:Upped to a full ride at UCLA...looks like I'll be staying in Westwood next year
How did you pull that off? Feel free to PM if you don't want to share publically.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Unless CA is different from other secondaries I don't see any problems with getting back there with any T14 degree.
Your basic assumption is faulty.

SoCal IS different than nearly every other secondary. (Count the number of top 20 schools feeding this sucky market.)

I would submit that UCLA/USC with money easily trumps GULC for jobs in SoCal. Heck, I would even suggest that UCI would beat GULC in SoCal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mh013

New

Post by mh013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Just sent you a pm

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
john7234797 wrote:Don't screw over your parents. NYU isn't HYS. It's not going to give you a significantly better chance in LA than UCLA. Don't be a T14 prestige whore. Did you apply Berkely?
thats bullshit

msg me. People here do not know the market well in socal. I just went through OGI in LA from uva.

being from NYU will give you a leg up.

is it worth the money? thats your call
It's good it worked out for you. A lot of NYU people went to Chicago as well. So yeah, it's mobile.. but what happens if you fall below median. Much better to just take the full ride from the local school if you know that's where you want to be. My two cents at least.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Honestly, if your parents are paying, I would choose NYU. Given your career goals, what you really should be thinking about is a biglaw job, regardless of whether that is in "entertainment" or California. NYU is more likely to get you that. Bear in mind that most SAs don't specialize until they join the firm full-time, and many firms will let you transfer offices. I have to say that people who were too narrow in terms of markets or practice areas had the worst luck at OCI, because they either ended up with their dream jobs or nothing. JMHO.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm

dude, i wouldn't turn down a full ride from ucla. did you get back to usc on that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mh013

New

Post by mh013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

So...talked to my parents and they wholeheartedly would love to pay if I want NYU.
Also just got UVA scholarship upped...also in the mix is Penn.

From what I hear, these top 10s would destroy comprable grades at UCLA/USC in socal.
Any thoughts?
To reiterate, I would like to do entertainment if at all possible.
I thought I had it figured out, however now I am just as undecided as ever.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 pm

mh013 wrote:So...talked to my parents and they wholeheartedly would love to pay if I want NYU.
Also just got UVA scholarship upped...also in the mix is Penn.

From what I hear, these top 10s would destroy comprable grades at UCLA/USC in socal.
Any thoughts?
To reiterate, I would like to do entertainment if at all possible.
I thought I had it figured out, however now I am just as undecided as ever.
I voted USC. But if they're totally cool (as in your family will not be crippled financially with this decision) with paying for it, NYU.

mh013

New

Re: USCvUCLAvNYUvPennvUVA-Want to practice in socal

Post by mh013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 pm

They saved money specifically for this reason...while I feel bad taking advantage of it, it's what they would want me to do.

Lasers

Gold

Re: USCvUCLAvNYUvPennvUVA-Want to practice in socal

Post by Lasers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 pm

mh013 wrote:They saved money specifically for this reason...while I feel bad taking advantage of it, it's what they would want me to do.
your parents sound wealthy.

go to nyu, then. just make sure to research how difficult it would be to get back to socal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”