ties ties & more ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
izy223

Bronze

ties ties & more ties

Post by izy223 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 am

A friend of mine has decent numbers (lower t-14) and wants biglaw doesn't care where (though not NYC/ west coast).

She got decent money from duke or UVA (maybe both) and was considering going there and asked me if its a good idea. Besides the usual Duke UVA discussion (I know the TLS wisdom) i just had a question about ties.

Will she be hurt bec she is a New Yorker when it comes to OCI. Everyone always speaks about ties but since it never impacted me I never cared to find out their importance, so do ties to a location work like this:

Option A
Going into OCI firms will be wary of granting a call back to a NYer whose in UVA who "claims" they want to work in other regions

or do they work like this:

Option B
after striking out in OCI your lack of connection and opportunities to network, bec your not from that region, will be detrimental to you finding a job through mass mailings etc.

She would be willing to go to NYC if she cannot find down south but if ties work like option A I am going to tell her to gun for Cornell and gun for NY in the first place.

Thanks

bk1

Diamond

Re: ties ties & more ties

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 am

The vast majority of biglaw jobs are in NYC, making NYC the easiest to get. If she absolutely wants biglaw she should seriously reconsider NYC.

Since she lacks ties anywhere else this is doubly foolish. Tell her to take the best scholly she can get from UVA/Duke/Cornell (assuming those are the only 3 T14s she gets) and gun for NYC.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes, she will be hurt. This was my situation. If firms in secondary markets find out that she's from NYC, they will be far less interested.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 pm

thanks! now lets hope she listens

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”