Advice re: Bay Area Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sixseat

New

Advice re: Bay Area Law Schools

Post by sixseat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Last edited by sixseat on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Advice re: Bay Area Law Schools

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

retake

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:37 pm

your post unfortunately is riddled w errors. allow me to disabuse. you will not get into Boalt or SLS. further davis/hastings are bona fide shitmills unless you are going for free. the CA economy is tough. retake for happier outcomes otherwise shitlaw LOOMS.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Retake or get a huge scholly somewhere.

You probably already know this but just in case, check out http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

best of luck

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Your softs are average. Good softs would be something that no one you've ever met has.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 pm

stillwater wrote:your post unfortunately is riddled w errors. allow me to disabuse. you will not get into Boalt or SLS. further davis/hastings are bona fide shitmills unless you are going for free. the CA economy is tough. retake for happier outcomes otherwise shitlaw LOOMS.
Harsh post, but probably true. You either need to retake in order to get a score high for Boalt/SLS or at least a T14, or a score high enough for a big scholarship to Hastings/Davis or perhaps UCLA or USC.

sixseat

New

Post by sixseat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Last edited by sixseat on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 pm

People on this site love to be dicks. Your softs are above average for law school, but probably not for Berkeley. Your numbers are on the cusp, and in this environment you may be a good "sticker" candidate for Berkeley. If you are comfy with that, congrats.

Depending on your goals, maybe a full-ride or close to it at Hastings might be worth it. SCU is so bad right now that you shouldn't go there regardless of any factors. Like 1/3 people from SCU are becoming anywhere close to actual lawyers, many of those with science backgrounds.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:People on this site love to be dicks. Your softs are above average for law school, but probably not for Berkeley. Your numbers are on the cusp, and in this environment you may be a good "sticker" candidate for Berkeley. If you are comfy with that, congrats.

Depending on your goals, maybe a full-ride or close to it at Hastings might be worth it. SCU is so bad right now that you shouldn't go there regardless of any factors. Like 1/3 people from SCU are becoming anywhere close to actual lawyers, many of those with science backgrounds.
I wouldn't pay out of state sticker for Boalt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:People on this site love to be dicks. Your softs are above average for law school, but probably not for Berkeley. Your numbers are on the cusp, and in this environment you may be a good "sticker" candidate for Berkeley. If you are comfy with that, congrats.

Ditto.

While D1 varsity athlete is good as far as softs go, I don't think OP is getting Boalt anyways with a 3.7/166. She's got a shot, but an outside shot.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay out of state sticker for Boalt.
$50k okay, but $54k no-go?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:23 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Ditto.

While D1 varsity athlete is good as far as softs go, I don't think OP is getting Boalt anyways with a 3.7/166. She's got a shot, but an outside shot.
Albeit my gpa is substantially lower, that soft actually worked against me during an interview with an unnamed school. The person brought up the subject about my low gpa and told me "Looks like you should have spent more time studying then benchwarming".

I never competed in a sport that even had benches.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 am

bluepenguin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay out of state sticker for Boalt.
$50k okay, but $54k no-go?
I wouldn't pay in state sticker for Boalt unless CoL was free.

Also that $12k lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 am

Get a job in tech sales- forget law school. Make 75k-125k a year and be done with it.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 am

Seems right to me. I'd say start studying for June retake and see how this cycle plays out. You can decide in April-May what to do based on acceptances, money, PT scores.

sixseat

New

Post by sixseat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Last edited by sixseat on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm

sixseat wrote: Many of the attorneys I work for think that if I don't get into Boalt I should just go to Hastings on a scholarship and aim for top 5-10%,
This should tell you all you need to know. If you have to aim for the top 10% to feel comfortable about getting a halfway decent job, there is no reason to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”