SHU vs Rutgers Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Platinum

Re: SHU vs Rutgers

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:according to LST 126 grads from SHU had private sector lt/ft jd required jobs w the median salary at 130,000... is that just bs?
Well, thats only 9% of the class reporting.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

mmm understood. so its best to assume those not reporting salaries are making under (possibly drastically) the median?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm

That would be prudent

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:shu: top 75% stip
RU-N: maintain 2.8

Ru-N: 12000 a year plus in state tuition aka 13,000 a year
stillwater wrote: Seton Hall also ruthlessly section stacks so people lose their scholarships
Seton Hall and Rutgers are practically speaking a wash in terms of outcomes (although Rutgers has a slightly better rep outside of north jersey). I'd recommend going to whichever is cheaper - but keep in mind that your chance of retaining a scholarship with a top 75% stip, at a school known for section stacking, is pretty low

*section stacking is when most, if not all, students with a scholarship are stuck in the same section, which is graded on a curve - basically pitting them all against each other so that a good number of them are guaranteed to lose their scholarship (for example, if the entire section consists of students with a top 75% stip, 3/4 will lose their scholarship)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

dingbat wrote:*section stacking is when most, if not all, students with a scholarship are stuck in the same section, which is graded on a curve - basically pitting them all against each other so that a good number of them are guaranteed to lose their scholarship (for example, if the entire section consists of students with a top 75% stip, 3/4 will lose their scholarship)
Huh??
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 pm

LST and Rutgers has a 6.5% big firm score while SHU has 5.5%, so SHU actually has no advantage.
I was using NLJ, which is probably more accurate and has SHU slightly on top in recent years, but you are correct that the difference is negligible and the number going to big law firms is small either way.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm

dingbat how is that possible? i think your numbers are off? that would mean 25% of the section loses their scholarship...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Wholigan wrote:
LST and Rutgers has a 6.5% big firm score while SHU has 5.5%, so SHU actually has no advantage.
I was using NLJ, which is probably more accurate and has SHU slightly on top in recent years, but you are correct that the difference is negligible and the number going to big law firms is small either way.
Rutgers has an edge in state clerkships, which often lead to Jersey biglaw (NJ has a robust state clerkship program and the local firms prefer to hire clerks rather than through OCI)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:dingbat how is that possible? i think your numbers are off? that would mean 25% of the section loses their scholarship...
Holy shit. This is what I get for TLSing while distracted. You're right; I fucked it up.
:oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

I don't get why people are concentrating on the stips. I mean if OP is in the bottom 25% after 1L year, s/he should drop out anyway, so the effect of the stip is negligible.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I don't get why people are concentrating on the stips. I mean if OP is in the bottom 25% after 1L year, s/he should drop out anyway, so the effect of the stip is negligible.
Plus you're wasting negotiating capital.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:shu: top 75% stip
RU-N: maintain 2.8

Ru-N: 12000 a year plus in state tuition aka 13,000 a year
Negotiate the stips away or don't go to SH. You do not want the school to have a financial incentive for your grades to blow.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 am

Wholigan wrote:
I meant to mention that the LST probably includes more than big law since its cutoff is firms of 100+ lawyers. I believe NLJ 250 cuts off around 150 lawyers or so. What are the NLJ figures? I assume they are lower than the LST figures, which should illustrate even more dramatically why going to these schools in pursuit of big law just doesn't make sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:according to LST 126 grads from SHU had private sector lt/ft jd required jobs w the median salary at 130,000... is that just bs?
Undoubtedly BS. Check the salary tab- they could only confirm 10.8% of the class making over $60,000 per year. And the people working at big firms will probably be overrepresented in this since their salaries and employment status are quasi-public info.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
I meant to mention that the LST probably includes more than big law since its cutoff is firms of 100+ lawyers. I believe NLJ 250 cuts off around 150 lawyers or so. What are the NLJ figures? I assume they are lower than the LST figures, which should illustrate even more dramatically why going to these schools in pursuit of big law just doesn't make sense.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... AW_SCHOOLS

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Undoubtedly BS. Check the salary tab- they could only confirm 10.8% of the class making over $60,000 per year. And the people working at big firms will probably be overrepresented in this since their salaries and employment status are quasi-public info.
If you're curious as to why it looks like this, it's because of the salary response rate. Obviously, people working at large law firms have more of an incentive to report their salary, so it will be skewed upward since people working at small law firms just won't answer.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
If you're curious as to why it looks like this, it's because of the salary response rate. Obviously, people working at large law firms have more of an incentive to report their salary, so it will be skewed upward since people working at small law firms just won't answer.
And it's much easier for an administrator to "fill in" the salaries of someone known to be working at a large firm either through self-reporting or Google since it's all NALP data. If you are working for a three-person firm in some suburb, you probably won't be on the website or have a posted salary.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Are they allowed to do that? Seems unethical, at the least.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 pm

timbs4339 wrote:And it's much easier for an administrator to "fill in" the salaries of someone known to be working at a large firm either through self-reporting or Google since it's all NALP data. If you are working for a three-person firm in some suburb, you probably won't be on the website or have a posted salary.
No, because:
InGoodFaith wrote:Are they allowed to do that? Seems unethical, at the least.

What happens is that if someone doesn't report back, they don't get counted. So, if a class has 10 students, and 3 report back, with salaries of $105k, $100k, $50k, the Median salary is $100k (mean salary is $85k)

still very misleading, but accurate as to the data available

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 pm

dingbat wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:And it's much easier for an administrator to "fill in" the salaries of someone known to be working at a large firm either through self-reporting or Google since it's all NALP data. If you are working for a three-person firm in some suburb, you probably won't be on the website or have a posted salary.
No, because:

What happens is that if someone doesn't report back, they don't get counted. So, if a class has 10 students, and 3 report back, with salaries of $105k, $100k, $50k, the Median salary is $100k (mean salary is $85k)

http://www.nalp.org/lseotf_bestpract

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/ERSS/erssguidelines12.pdf
Last edited by timbs4339 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Uh, have you been under a rock for the last couple of years?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 pm

holy crap - they are allowed to make that shit up. I stand corrected, thank you. Here's my favorite gem:
Additionally, law schools should consider providing national salary statistics, as provided by NALP, because that data can provide a more comprehensive picture of graduates’ starting salaries.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:00 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
No, because:

:shock: :x :evil:

ETA: Also, "Monitor social networking sites, including Facebook and Linked-In for comments related to employment status." What the fuck.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Uh, have you been under a rock for the last couple of years?
I understand them presenting the data in a misleading way such as the median salary example that dingbat gave, but straight up creating data on their own without student consent is really crossing the line.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Suralin wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
No, because:

:shock: :x :evil:

ETA: Also, "Monitor social networking sites, including Facebook and Linked-In for comments related to employment status." What the fuck.

The NALP/ABA data for individual schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, because of the leeway CSOs are given by the guidelines when reporting data. A tipoff in regard to the reliability of this data is how unrealistically complete it purports to be. Anybody who had done any sort of empirical survey knows that it's extremely difficult to get anything close to complete data. But the ABA data has no holes in it at all. For example, when you look at the 192 SHU 2011 grads with bar admission required jobs, 184 are purportedly in full-time long-term positions, while the other eight are either short-term or part-time or both. In other words, SHU is claiming to know the precise employment status of all 192 of its grads who have (or who SHU claims have) bar admission required jobs. That is extremely improbable to say the least. What happens is that the reporting guidelines allow CSOs to simply use default assumptions for missing data. The default assumption here is that a grad is employed full-time and long-term, unless the CSO has information to the contrary.

This, of course, ends up seriously overstating the number of people who actually have full-time long-term employment. Etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”