UVA vs rest of T777 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Diamond

Re: UVA vs rest of T777

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Just call it the top nine from now on and I think DF will be fine.
Nah, the lower t14 are all peers.
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell
GULC

One of these things is not like the others.
Because their students stupidly bid DC even if they have poor grades.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The problem is that if you give a firm a set number of interviews, they are mostly just going to pick really good GPA. Firms don't seem to operate based on strict GPA floors. A firm would hire someone with a 3.3, might just pick the twenty students who have a 3.7-3.45. Even though they would have taken lower. If the firm has to narrow, they'll use GPA to do it.

Lottery works because people will want to target firms that will actually hire you. The 3.0 guy won't bid on Cravath. And the 3.9 won't bid on DLA Piper North Dakota. But in lottery, the 3.0 kid has to compete for an interview with the 3.9.

The only people who benefit from preselect are high grades / terrible interviewers.
Lol say what? That's exactly what (big) firms do. To a point where it's kind of amazing actually. I'm not even sure why they do screeners. NYC and DC firms are especially bad with this.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Just call it the top nine from now on and I think DF will be fine.
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell
GULC

Ill take your word for it, but I see you saying this a lot and imagine there has to be more to it than that.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Br3v wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell
GULC

Ill take your word for it, but I see you saying this a lot and imagine there has to be more to it than that.
I think it has more to do with their nearly 600 student entering class size.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The problem is that if you give a firm a set number of interviews, they are mostly just going to pick really good GPA. Firms don't seem to operate based on strict GPA floors. A firm would hire someone with a 3.3, might just pick the twenty students who have a 3.7-3.45. Even though they would have taken lower. If the firm has to narrow, they'll use GPA to do it.

Lottery works because people will want to target firms that will actually hire you. The 3.0 guy won't bid on Cravath. And the 3.9 won't bid on DLA Piper North Dakota. But in lottery, the 3.0 kid has to compete for an interview with the 3.9.

The only people who benefit from preselect are high grades / terrible interviewers.
Lol say what? That's exactly what (big) firms do. To a point where it's kind of amazing actually. I'm not even sure why they do screeners. NYC and DC firms are especially bad with this.
They may have a bottom floor, absolutely won't go below this for anyone floor. But Northwestern callback data suggests the lowest called back GPA is way lower than the median callback GPA.

My point was they don't just say, hey everyone above a 3.5 gets a callback, nobody below gets one. With preselect, I believe they tend to say, everyone below 3.5 won't even get a screener.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey, where in the south are you from? PM me if you dont want to out it. 1L here at UVA with multiple 1L SA offers. I think this is an absolutely great place to come, especially with that money. I have friends from the south who also had 1L SA offers before grades. As long as you are personable and work your ass off there is no reason you wont be in the same boat. Wanting the south is great from UVA whether that Alabama or Texas. If you want NYC I have also heard people from here do really well.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

What that callback data doesn't show you is if those low GPA callbacks were kids with IP credentials, diversity characteristics, or had good relevant work experience, I'm willing to bet that few of those low GPA callbacks were your average K-JD.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey, where in the south are you from? PM me if you dont want to out it. 1L here at UVA with multiple 1L SA offers. I think this is an absolutely great place to come, especially with that money. I have friends from the south who also had 1L SA offers before grades. As long as you are personable and work your ass off there is no reason you wont be in the same boat. Wanting the south is great from UVA whether that Alabama or Texas. If you want NYC I have also heard people from here do really well.
Slow down just a bit there. "working your ass off" won't guarantee you the grades needed to get a Southern firm job--or any firm job at all. And wanting the South is great from UVA--if you have the grades and by South you're excluding the biggest Southern market (Atlanta). Because I assure you Atlanta is one of the most brutal markets in the country. Charlotte's not all that great either. And both markets hate taking below median UVA kids (even with Southern ties). Birmingham however, is quite friendly.

Hoocheez

New

Post by Hoocheez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 pm

BruceWayne, what do you like most about UVA? I'm trying to get a remotely positive response from you, for once.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Hoocheez wrote:BruceWayne, what do you like most about UVA? I'm trying to get a remotely positive response from you, for once.
I'm curious as well. Surely there are some positives?

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Suralin wrote:
Hoocheez wrote:BruceWayne, what do you like most about UVA? I'm trying to get a remotely positive response from you, for once.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=199680

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Suralin wrote:
We have a strong reputation in the South (but not to the extent that the previous UVA poster described), our CSO is nice, having a fellowship as an option as opposed to no salary at all is good, Charlottesville/ the campus is nice, and LRAP is pretty decent. And although the link to the hook up culture was probably a bit tongue in cheek, if you want to date/have relationships there is probably more of that going on here than at a place like UChicago or Penn. I actually prefer a younger law school population--that being one of the main reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”