University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2016 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dean_Ray

New

University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2016

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Season’s Greetings!

In my capacity as Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid at the University of Illinois College of Law, I am starting a new thread to share news about Illinois Law and to answer questions from applicants, prospective applicants, and admitted students.

Illinois Law is a voluntary participant in the inaugural LSAC/ABA Pilot Matriculant Certification Program. Late last week, we received the following official certification for our 198-member Class of 2015:

25% Median 75%
LSAT 158 163 165
UGPA 3.23 3.55 3.73

We are looking forward to recruiting another strong class, and I look forward to answering your questions!
Last edited by Dean_Ray on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2016

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Hope this goes better than the last time...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 pm

If those were the numbers at the time that I was applying I likely would have been at UIC right now with $. I didn't even bother sending an app when I was applying given the old "numbers".

owlie

New

Post by owlie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Hope this goes better than the last time...

+1

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello Dean Ray! My question is will you please address Ajax Adonis' question from your last thread? And if not, then why not? His question is posted below. Thanks in advance!

Dear Dean, would you please address the following post? http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... s.html?m=1

Thank you,

AA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Prospective applicants may be particularly interested to learn about the College’s new Chicago Program (through which students can take classes in Chicago in the spring of their third year) and additional scholarship opportunities (including full- and half-tuition scholarships) celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Morrill Act, which founded the nation’s land-grant system of colleges and universities.

We are continuing to review applications and will be traveling to cities and universities around the country in January and February to meet with prospective applicants. I will post our travel schedule throughout the New Year. Any applicant whose status is currently listed as “Complete – In Review” will receive a decision via email in early January. As always, please feel free to ask questions about Illinois Law here, or contact the Admissions Office at law-admissions@illinois.edu.

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:Hello Dean Ray! My question is will you please address Ajax Adonis' question from your last thread? And if not, then why not? His question is posted below. Thanks in advance!

Dear Dean, would you please address the following post? http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... s.html?m=1

Thank you,

AA
I appreciate the opportunity to clear up a misconception about a prior post.

As I noted in my post, we counsel prospective applicants to Illinois who are considering re-taking the December LSAT to weigh the likelihood of a significant increase in their LSAT score with the prospect of being considered later in our admissions cycle. (Because we consider LSAT scores as only one of many factors, retaking the exam often will not materially alter a student’s chance of admission at Illinois – even with a higher score.) The ultimate assessment is, of course, up to each individual student.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Dean_Ray wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Hello Dean Ray! My question is will you please address Ajax Adonis' question from your last thread? And if not, then why not? His question is posted below. Thanks in advance!

Thank you,

AA
I appreciate the opportunity to clear up a misconception about a prior post.

As I noted in my post, we counsel prospective applicants to Illinois who are considering re-taking the December LSAT to weigh the likelihood of a significant increase in their LSAT score with the prospect of being considered later in our admissions cycle. (Because we consider LSAT scores as only one of many factors, retaking the exam often will not materially alter a student’s chance of admission at Illinois – even with a higher score.) The ultimate assessment is, of course, up to each individual student.

Email dated July 24, 2012:
Carroll, Jennifer M

Carroll, Jennifer M
jmcarrol@illinois.edu

Add to contacts
To: [redacted]

[Name],

We still have room is our entering class, and would love to review your application. Your score credentials are impressive. If everything else in your file looks good, we could offer you admission and process you fairly quickly. Our application is free, so you can go into LSAC.org at any time to complete it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about Illinois or our application process.

Thanks,

Jenny

Illinois Law Modern Prof.jpg

Jennifer M. Carroll, JD
Interim Director of Admissions and Financial Aid
University of Illinois College of Law
(217) 244-6415
jmcarrol@illinois.edu

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Can you comment on the schools employment score? 46% (not counting school funded jobs) is not necessarily encouraging, even in this economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Can you comment on the schools employment score? 46% (not counting school funded jobs) is not necessarily encouraging, even in this economy.
Thanks for the question regarding our Class of 2011’s employment statistics. The statistics have been independently verified, and show this class as having an 80 percent employment rate as of February 15, 2012. We encourage you to review all of our employment data at http://www.law.illinois.edu/career-serv ... yment-data. Students from the Class of 2011 have secured positions in a number of large firms, and we have a deserved reputation – as recent studies have indicated – of training graduates who have a strong track record of success in these types of firms. In fact, we recently scored in the top 25 law schools in one such study.

Of the 152 Class of 2011 alums classified as employed, 19 have jobs funded in part by the University of Illinois. Many of these positions are fellowships designed to launch students into public interest careers. These fellowships have a strong track record of helping recent alums build long-term careers in these areas. As the law school of a land grant university, we take public interest and government work seriously.

However, these statistics reflect what we all know -- we face a very tough legal economy. Here at Illinois, we have recently taken measures to make our students even more competitive in the marketplace. We’ve staffed our career services office with practicing lawyers who worked at leading law firms in the United States. We have launched a nationwide outreach and mentoring program to better assist students looking outside of Illinois. We have expanded our Chicago-based class offerings, so that our 3Ls can take classes and work in Chicago, allowing better access to smaller and mid-sized firm opportunities. Our students receive regular communications from our Career Planning office, have easy access to career services staff (including the head of our office), and receive personalized attention for as long as they need it – even after they graduate. Our Executive Assistant Dean for career services, Greg Miarecki, is a former partner from Winston & Strawn, and regularly speaks with prospective students. He will be on the road with me during the coming months, and he often takes calls from students. I would be happy to put you in touch with him directly. Thanks very much.

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Dean Ray,

Does UIUC normally try to fill a certain percentage of each matriculating class with residents of Illinois like other state funded law schools such as UVA?

Also, I remember reading (from a second-hand source so I could be completely wrong) that UIUC law faces a substantial fine because of past transgressions. If this information is accurate, will this fine be paid for using money that is normally devoted towards scholarships for prospective students?

Thanks!

LSTfan

New

Post by LSTfan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:46 am

Last edited by LSTfan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 am

Dean Ray, I appreciate what you're trying to do here. But it's much better to just be honest and straightforward. The users here are generally pretty smart and informed. They know how to realistically look at employment statistics.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm

This thread had potential to be really informative. If we got some real dialogue going, then I think people would flock to this thread.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 pm

The Pless threads used to be great. Obviously what he did at Illinois was terrible but he was really helpful on TLS. He used to say exactly when acceptances were going out, how many admits, denys and waitlists, etc. It took so much stress out of the process.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 am

mattviphky wrote:
This thread had potential to be really informative. If we got some real dialogue going, then I think people would flock to this thread.
The problem is that Dean Ray's responses to questions are more as a cheerleader for U of I, rather than informative responses (this is referring to the other thread as well). Truly informative responses would be brutally honest, even if it doesn't put the school in the best light possible--attending U of I Law might not be the best decision for a lot of prospective law students. Dean Ray should be forthcoming about that by doing things like giving complete, accurate, and honest job statistics in response to questions re: job prospects. (Frankly, I think there wouldn't be such a large need for things like LST, and there would be a lot less pissed off students/alums, if all law schools were more honest about employment statistics.) IMO what Dean Ray is doing here, so far, is not helpful to anyone but her law school. Obviously, you're free to disagree.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Admitted via email/status checker as of 1-7-12! So very excited!

(See my profile for numbers)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 pm

JakeAsch wrote:Admitted via email/status checker as of 1-7-12! So very excited!

(See my profile for numbers)
This makes me happy on a lot of levels. :D

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Offered a 25% tuition scholarship within the acceptance email (how did I miss that...?) yesterday.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:42 pm

JakeAsch wrote:Offered a 25% tuition scholarship within the acceptance email (how did I miss that...?) yesterday.
Congrats!

mrjohnsterman

Bronze

Post by mrjohnsterman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 pm

JakeAsch wrote:Offered a 25% tuition scholarship within the acceptance email (how did I miss that...?) yesterday.
Congrats. If you strongly consider UI then I would suggest asking for more money in a few monhts, I got originally offered 25% and was offered 50% in April and 75% by the summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Dean Ray,

Does Illinois have a similar video for law school?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... D2v0f6SX5I

New

Post by 454 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 am

Hello, I am a coward.

I want to disobey the moderators and do exactly what I know I shouldn't do, but I would rather hide my identity to avoid suffering consequences, so I make new accounts to use for my long angry trolling screeds. This selfishness and disrespect makes me a failure in real life, but I still try to get away with it here.

Please feel free to ignore everything I say, because I am a jackass.

Thank you!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am

User "454" banned for trolling, being an alt of javancho/scammedhard.

People who alt think we can't tell who they are. They're usually wrong.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 am

mrjohnsterman wrote:
Congrats. If you strongly consider UI then I would suggest asking for more money in a few monhts, I got originally offered 25% and was offered 50% in April and 75% by the summer.
Thanks for sharing! Want to hear more about this :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”