. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: Muslim in the South

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:55 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Also these figures.. 140k for OU? You know, you could work while you were in law school. Especially if you go to a regional like OU, where there is no way you are getting biglaw.

Still... 70k tuition plus 70k living? I never spent more than 12k-13k a year living in oklahoma... Jesus people its called "Chilis," enjoy the damned soup and salad every once in a while.
That figure is the projected non-discounted cost that takes into account all the interest you pay back.

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 am

cooldude87 wrote:I'm usually not one to complain about racism but since this could have an impact of whether or not I get a job I'm a bit concerned. I'm a Muslim in Oklahoma. Two years ago 70% of the people in my state voted to ban Islamic Law. I don't really care about banning Islamic law but it gives one a good impression of how most people view Islam and Muslims in the state. I'd like to go to my state school OU but am a bit worried that since I am Muslim I could be at a disadvantage when looking for a job. Most graduates from OU who get firm jobs are working at small (2-11) people firms, that consist mostly of old white guys. I'm not to worried about the few big firms since its a corporate environment but the chances of getting those jobs are slim, and thus I would most probably be looking for a job at the small firms. The other school I'm looking at is Tulane. Since I'd be looking for a job in New Orleans I'm a bit less worried about the racism there but I honestly do not want to work in Louisiana. Should I be going out of state or even out of the region? Or am I making a big deal for no reason.
There are many Muslims at TU with a very nice MSA building right next door to the law school. The UG population has a much higher concentration of Muslims than the law school, but I do know several Muslims at the law school and have not heard that concern. Though I havent asked. Not saying an out of state option may not be better for you. But I'm sure if you went on a visit to either OU or TU and asked in advance if you could speak with Muslim students they could find a group you could talk with about your concerns. Good luck.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Sorry to bring back an old thread but should I basically limit where I go to states in the northeast, upper midwest and west coast

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 am

cooldude87 wrote:Sorry to bring back an old thread but should I basically limit where I go to states in the northeast, upper midwest and west coast
Where do you really want to work and live? And what schools are you interested in? The south hardly has rampant racism where getting a legal job would be a no-go just because you're muslim. Sure, it can be a consideration, especially in combination of how bad a law school's placement power is, but it shouldn't be determinative. For example: If you wanted to go to UT, you should feel very comfortable in Austin and there are plenty of biglaw firms from Houston and Dallas, along with other southern cities, where difference in ethnicity or religion is a positive. (That said, Houston is more diverse than Dallas.)

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 pm

this sounds like a straight to dvd music. do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notstevedoocy

New

Post by notstevedoocy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Don't sweat it. Law schools pride themselves on a diverse student body. Expect a radically different experience in law school than in undergraduate school. In fact, you should probably incorporate your experience as a Muslim living in Oklahoma into your essay and make it a point that you wish to use the tools you gain in law school to fight for social justice for Muslims in the south.

If I am an admissions councilor, you are looking like a stronger candidate for your diversity and can expect a large scholarship coming your way.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 am

notstevedoocy wrote:Don't sweat it. Law schools pride themselves on a diverse student body. Expect a radically different experience in law school than in undergraduate school. In fact, you should probably incorporate your experience as a Muslim living in Oklahoma into your essay and make it a point that you wish to use the tools you gain in law school to fight for social justice for Muslims in the south.

If I am an admissions councilor, you are looking like a stronger candidate for your diversity and can expect a large scholarship coming your way.
He's talking abou gettin a job, not getting in, herp derpington.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”