Arizona in-state tuition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Arizona in-state tuition

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Can anyone vouch for how difficult it is to gain AZ residency for their 2L and 3L years?

lookingin

Bronze

Re: Arizona in-state tuition

Post by lookingin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm interested in this as well...

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm

bump

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 am

I've made some calls and done some research and apparently it is quite difficult. The part that trips up most people is that you have to show "financial independence" for two years prior to applying for residency. This is NOT the same as your parents no longer claiming you as a dependent on their taxes. You need to show that for the two previous years that you were responsible for 51%+ of your expenses. In addition, the website said in general, students who are in Arizona for educational reasons only, are almost never granted residency. I know of people who have lived in Arizona their whole life then left for 6 months prior to enrolling for an internship and lost their residency. My guess is that a lot of this is the result of Arizona's (*cough unconstitutional *cough) immigration/residency laws.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

Aroldis105 wrote:I've made some calls and done some research and apparently it is quite difficult. The part that trips up most people is that you have to show "financial independence" for two years prior to applying for residency. This is NOT the same as your parents no longer claiming you as a dependent on their taxes. You need to show that for the two previous years that you were responsible for 51%+ of your expenses. In addition, the website said in general, students who are in Arizona for educational reasons only, are almost never granted residency. I know of people who have lived in Arizona their whole life then left for 6 months prior to enrolling for an internship and lost their residency. My guess is that a lot of this is the result of Arizona's (*cough unconstitutional *cough) immigration/residency laws.
This is what I was told when I was considering Arizona. As for the educational reasons only part, you really need to be able to convince them that you're going to stay in Arizona for good after graduation. I know people who were able to do this, but also people who weren't. It wasn't easy/automatic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am

I read, re: scholarships, that if you switch from out of state to in-state your scholarship takes a cut as well, since out of state scholarships are proportionally larger.

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:I've made some calls and done some research and apparently it is quite difficult. The part that trips up most people is that you have to show "financial independence" for two years prior to applying for residency. This is NOT the same as your parents no longer claiming you as a dependent on their taxes. You need to show that for the two previous years that you were responsible for 51%+ of your expenses. In addition, the website said in general, students who are in Arizona for educational reasons only, are almost never granted residency. I know of people who have lived in Arizona their whole life then left for 6 months prior to enrolling for an internship and lost their residency. My guess is that a lot of this is the result of Arizona's (*cough unconstitutional *cough) immigration/residency laws.
This is what I was told when I was considering Arizona. As for the educational reasons only part, you really need to be able to convince them that you're going to stay in Arizona for good after graduation. I know people who were able to do this, but also people who weren't. It wasn't easy/automatic.
Do you know how strict the financial independence rule is? I've heard the same requirement at others schools, albeit for only one year, not two. How can the school go about analyzing your financial independence? Tax returns? Bank Statements? Trust fund accounts? Seems...invasive and unnecessary. Living there year round, registering to vote/Arizona license, and applying to join the Arizona bar should suffice IMHO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”