Villanova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kjones0127

New

Villanova

Post by kjones0127 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 am

Born and raised in New England. I'm seriously considering going to Villanova (I don't care what anybody says, I love the school) and moving to PA.

Obviously, I'd live in my own apartment, not in any type of school owned housing. I've done some research on the areas surrounding the Law School, but until I go out to visit (end of March), I cant decide what areas are decent to live in and what areas should be avoided based solely on online pictures.

As of right now, I'm looking in Wayne, King of Prussia, Bryn Mawr and Radnor.
To anybody who is familiar with the area or the school, what are some areas/neighborhoods/cities to stay away from?

magp90

Bronze

Re: Villanova

Post by magp90 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 pm

I currently live in the area, and I can say that where you want to live is determined by a few factors.

1) Do you have a car? If you don't, you're going to have to stay on the Main Line (where the Paoli-Thorndale SEPTA train runs) or else you won't be able to get anywhere. I know several Villanova Law School students who have lived in Bryn Mawr, which is a stop or two away from Villanova by train and a pathetically short drive away.

2) Cost. The Main Line is a rather expensive place to live, generally, so you're going to want to gauge how much you're willing to spend on an apartment. Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and areas around there tend to have a lot of apartments that are reasonable (I currently live in one), though Wayne may not given its demographic.

2) Obviously what kind of town you want to live in. I have a friend who went to VLS who lived out in Bala Cynwyd and then in Manayunk because there was more to do outside of school. There are a few bars and whatnot around the Main Line, but there are more exciting places to live, I assure you. They're a little further away, though, and you'd probably have to drive because I don't know about the bus routes around the suburbs. Some people even commute from the city, but that may or may not be worth it.

Transportation is a huge thing out here, because if you don't have a car... you're either stuck in one place or you have to limit where you go based on public transportation, which can stack up in terms of cost.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

1. I'm debating sharing a car with my boyfriend. So it's really no object. But we wanted to be somewhere that was close enough to school and close enough to public transit.

2. Thanks, I was trying to do research about which areas are more expensive than others.

3. Hm. Bars. I can't be without bars around, so I'll keep those areas in mind.

Thank you so much for your help!

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I would not attend a school that misrepresented itself.

http://lawforward.legalzoom.com/legal-r ... ntability/

That is just me though.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm

kjones0127 wrote: 2. Thanks, I was trying to do research about which areas are more expensive than others.
Hahaha I mean, there are bars. But they get old after a while because they're SO OVERLOADED with undergrads ALL THE TIME. But to each his own. Other than that, though, not too much around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

ajax wrote:I would not attend a school that misrepresented itself.

That is just me though.
Good luck attending one that hasn't had an issue with misrepresenting information.
Granted, VU did misrepresent GPA/LSAT scores, but it wasn't like DePaul, John Marshall, Chicago-Kent who skewed their employment numbers.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:36 pm

That is just me though.

This is exactly why most people hate top law schools

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Wahoos wrote:

That is just me though.

wahoos jones explicitly said "i don't care what anyone says" aka she didn't want this turning into a debate about nova.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:55 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:
Wahoos wrote:

That is just me though.

wahoos jones explicitly said "i don't care what anyone says" aka she didn't want this turning into a debate about nova.
This is exactly my point

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 pm

That is just me though.
Nearly all of them do this. They just got caught.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:49 pm

kjones0127 wrote:Born and raised in New England. I'm seriously considering going to Villanova (I don't care what anybody says, I love the school) and moving to PA.

Obviously, I'd live in my own apartment, not in any type of school owned housing. I've done some research on the areas surrounding the Law School, but until I go out to visit (end of March), I cant decide what areas are decent to live in and what areas should be avoided based solely on online pictures.

To anybody who is familiar with the area or the school, what are some areas/neighborhoods/cities to stay away from?
Were you admitted ED or something? It seems way early in the cycle to be making a decision about where to attend if not ED.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
kjones0127 wrote:Born and raised in New England. I'm seriously considering going to Villanova (I don't care what anybody says, I love the school) and moving to PA.

Were you admitted ED or something? It seems way early in the cycle to be making a decision about where to attend if not ED.
Villanova doesn't do ED. But it's definitely a personal choice when it comes to deciding where you want to attend, especially when many schools give responses early in the game.

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

I don't see why it would matter to you if I decide early or not. Anyways I'm actually keeping my options open and just doing research.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:03 pm

OP YOU SHOULD GO TO VILLANOVA. IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL, AND EVEN IF YOU DECIDE YOU DON'T LIKE PA YOU CAN BRING IT BACK TO MA.

EVERYONE KNOWS VILLANOVA IS CONSIDERED BETTER THAN BU AND BC BY MOST OF THE BOSTON LAW FIRMS.

VILLANOVA CONSTANTLY OUTPERFORMS UPENN IN THE PHILADELPHIA MARKET, AND FIRMS FROM NYC DOWN TO MIAMI GENERALLY PREFER VILLANOVA GRADS. IT IS A LITTLE BIT LOWER RANKED, BUT IT'S EASILY ONE OF THE BEST LAW SCHOOLS TO GET A JOB FROM ITE.

YOU SHOULD TRY TO GET SOME $, BUT DEFINITELY PAY STICKER IF YOU NEED TO. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO GET BIG LAW, MAKE PARTNER IN A YEAR OR 2 TOPS AND PAY BACK THE LOANS IN LIKE 3 YEARS. COMMIT NOW!!!!!!

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm

uvabro wrote:OP YOU SHOULD GO TO VILLANOVA. IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL, AND EVEN IF YOU DECIDE YOU DON'T LIKE PA YOU CAN BRING IT BACK TO MA.

EVERYONE KNOWS VILLANOVA IS CONSIDERED BETTER THAN BU AND BC BY MOST OF THE BOSTON LAW FIRMS.

VILLANOVA CONSTANTLY OUTPERFORMS UPENN IN THE PHILADELPHIA MARKET, AND FIRMS FROM NYC DOWN TO MIAMI GENERALLY PREFER VILLANOVA GRADS. IT IS A LITTLE BIT LOWER RANKED, BUT IT'S EASILY ONE OF THE BEST LAW SCHOOLS TO GET A JOB FROM ITE.

YOU SHOULD TRY TO GET SOME $, BUT DEFINITELY PAY STICKER IF YOU NEED TO. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO GET BIG LAW, MAKE PARTNER IN A YEAR OR 2 TOPS AND PAY BACK THE LOANS IN LIKE 3 YEARS. COMMIT NOW!!!!!!

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:03 pm

uvabro wrote:OP YOU SHOULD GO TO VILLANOVA. IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL, AND EVEN IF YOU DECIDE YOU DON'T LIKE PA YOU CAN BRING IT BACK TO MA.

Get over yourself. And you may actually convince some gullible 0Ls to make horrible choices. So really, just stop.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Live in Ardmore or Bryn Mawr (the areas close to the train stations/Lancaster Avenue). Weighted for convenience, they're both the least expensive and have the most going on.

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Live in Ardmore or Bryn Mawr (the areas close to the train stations/Lancaster Avenue). Weighted for convenience, they're both the least expensive and have the most going on.
Thank you for that! That's really helpful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”