W&M w/out VA ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arkaeo

New

W&M w/out VA ties

Post by arkaeo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 am

So, I recently got a full ride to W&M. I love the school & what it offers, and want to make it work. I'd also like to work in the VA market. However, I'm from Florida, and have most of my familial ties there. I'd like to gtfo of Florida, though.

I'm not looking for biglaw, and ideally I'd like to become a career prosecutor or do other government work. But I do have other interests and don't want to shut myself out of anything.

Should note that I'm married, my wife will have a job in VA if/when we move. Don't know if that would constitute any kind of tie to the VA market with the people who matter.

How concerned should I be about the lack of familial ties, and most importantly, what kinds of things can I do during/before law school to overcome this? Are the ties even important for gov't work?

perfecttender

New

Re: W&M w/out VA ties

Post by perfecttender » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:22 am

arkaeo wrote:So, I recently got a full ride to W&M. I love the school & what it offers, and want to make it work. I'd also like to work in the VA market. However, I'm from Florida, and have most of my familial ties there. I'd like to gtfo of Florida, though.

I'm not looking for biglaw, and ideally I'd like to become a career prosecutor or do other government work. But I do have other interests and don't want to shut myself out of anything.

Should note that I'm married, my wife will have a job in VA if/when we move. Don't know if that would constitute any kind of tie to the VA market with the people who matter.

How concerned should I be about the lack of familial ties, and most importantly, what kinds of things can I do during/before law school to overcome this? Are the ties even important for gov't work?
either make up a story about how you have aunts/uncles in VA and used to spend your summers there or just tell them the truth: that you want to relocate to VA.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 am

Your wife having a job there is pretty good but if VA is like the rest of the South you may have trouble.

arkaeo

New

Post by arkaeo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the input. Will be sure to emphasize my wife's career in VA.

Can anyone provide any insight as to how much of a liability this will be in VA in particular? The importance of ties seems to differ by region. Would like to work in east VA, anywhere from DC area to Va Beach. Might be that the preference for locals decreases the closer you get to DC.

Also, any insight into how the preference for strong ties changes when we're talking about landing a prosecutor job? I've heard that ties are less important in these positions, wondering if anyone here can confirm/deny.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”