Tulane Vs. Cardozo Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lear22

Bronze

Tulane Vs. Cardozo

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Wondering what are people's thoughts on this.

I don't have ties anywhere (my family is not from the US) and I would want to find myself in NYC after school but as much as I like the city I don't know how kind it will be to me with no $ coming in and large living expenses. I am also a little worried about being 4th in rank in line for jobs when coming within the city. Tulane sounds like a great school and it seems that as long as you work hard and stay on 1/3 of your class you'll be okay.

Any thoughts or advice? Read a few tulane threads from last year but am still left wondering.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Re: Tulane Vs. Cardozo

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:47 pm

100% anecdotal and no statistics to back this up, but a girl I know who went to Tulane is working in NYC and has a good job. If you finish at the top of your class, you'd have a shot at getting there.

That said, NYC and NOLA are not very similar worlds.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:57 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:100% anecdotal and no statistics to back this up, but a girl I know who went to Tulane is working in NYC and has a good job. If you finish at the top of your class, you'd have a shot at getting there.

That said, NYC and NOLA are not very similar worlds.
Totally agree. But on my end I'm thinking that because I want to be in NYC post school I don't mind living somewhere else - especially if it's a place as awesome as NOLA - for three years and get to NYC when I - hopefully.... - have a paying job. And as I said, I'm kind of worried on how Cardozo students are perceived in the city while in school when you have NYU students all around you and CLS and even Fordham to look down on you.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Only do it if you are OK with living in New Orleans long term.

And everyone here will tell you to retake the LSAT if you can.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Only do it if you are OK with living in New Orleans long term.

And everyone here will tell you to retake the LSAT if you can.

I will know tomorrow if I am LSAC approved to take the LSAT one last time. If not, a retake is not an option and it will prob come down to these two plus 4-3 other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Lear22 wrote:Wondering what are people's thoughts on this.

I don't have ties anywhere (my family is not from the US) and I would want to find myself in NYC after school but as much as I like the city I don't know how kind it will be to me with no $ coming in and large living expenses. I am also a little worried about being 4th in rank in line for jobs when coming within the city. Tulane sounds like a great school and it seems that as long as you work hard and stay on 1/3 of your class you'll be okay.

Any thoughts or advice? Read a few tulane threads from last year but am still left wondering.
If you go to either one you could be about 10th or 15th in line as opposed to 4th. Aside from NYU, CLS, Cornell, Fordham, Harvard, Yale, BLS, BU, and BC, you'll also be competing with Penn, U-Chicago, Duke, U-Michigan, GULC, Vandy, W&M, and W&L. In a good economy that would be ok, but in this economy it isn't. Retake the LSAT and go T14.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:33 pm

PDaddy wrote:

You could be about 10th or 15th in line as opposed to 4th. Aside from NYU, CLS, Cornell, Fordham, Harvard, Yale, BLS, BU, and BC, you'll also be competing with Penn, U-Chicago, Duke, U-Michigan, GULC, Vandy, W&M, and W&L.

That is true, I would most likely be 28th or 45th in line when discussing both schools. However I was talking about inside NYC where it is no4 after CLS/NYU/Fordham.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Lear22 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

You could be about 10th or 15th in line as opposed to 4th. Aside from NYU, CLS, Cornell, Fordham, Harvard, Yale, BLS, BU, and BC, you'll also be competing with Penn, U-Chicago, Duke, U-Michigan, GULC, Vandy, W&M, and W&L.

That is true, I would most likely be 28th or 45th in line when discussing both schools. However I was talking about inside NYC where it is no4 after CLS/NYU/Fordham.
You have to consider all of your competition, and although most people consider Cardozo to be a notch above BLS, it isn't a given. Some employers will favor BLS grads over Cardozo grads. Hence, even using your calculus you could be no higher than 5th on the food chain. These days the risk of graduating without a job is too great not to consider the worst case scenarios.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

You have to consider all of your competition, and although most people consider Cardozo to be a notch above BLS, it isn't a given. Some employers will favor BLS grads over Cardozo grads. Hence, even using your calculus you could be no higher than 5th on the food chain. These days the risk of graduating without a job is too great not to consider the worst case scenarios.
Again, I fully agree with what you are saying. And once I know if LSAC approves my LSAT registration (hopefully by tomorrow) I will retake in dec and hopefully will not have to make this call. But.. there's a chance I will hence my question here. At the end of the day, as much as I admire many of the successful people on here, not everyone is going to go to a T14 school and will make a decision between UVA/Duke or UMich/NU. I hope that I will do the former once I retake. But if I don't me and many others will have to make similar decisions in this cycle so I think looking at this does have merit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm

NYC isn't likely coming out of Tulane. Most Tulane students stay in New Orleans or go to Texas or Florida (or back home).

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 pm

dextermorgan wrote:NYC isn't likely coming out of Tulane. Most Tulane students stay in New Orleans or go to Texas or Florida (or back home).
from the threads I read here it appears that if you're in the top 1/3 you have a chance to strike there. Wrong?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Lear22 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:NYC isn't likely coming out of Tulane. Most Tulane students stay in New Orleans or go to Texas or Florida (or back home).
from the threads I read here it appears that if you're in the top 1/3 you have a chance to strike there. Wrong?
A chance yes, but it isn't likely. You would be surprised by how many students want NYC at Tulane, and how few actually get it. Top 1/3 does okay job-wise, but the vast majority of those jobs are in New Orleans, Texas or Florida (and with small/midsize regional firms). You can't discount how important networking is to finding a job, and being 1,500 miles from the city you want to be in makes networking a little hard.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Lear22 wrote:
I'd like to see those threads. Class of 2011 had 19/241 make it to New York.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tulane&show=ABA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
I'd like to see those threads. Class of 2011 had 19/241 make it to New York.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tulane&show=ABA
I didnt say that it's bound to happen, but that theres a chance for it. so if my eyes are set on nyc and it's between these two, would you say that Cardozo would be a better choice?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Cardozo's a better choice for NYC between the two, but is post-graduate debt a consideration?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Cardozo's a better choice for NYC between the two, but is post-graduate debt a consideration?
At this point, no. I am now evaluating job prospects wise, with the starting point that I want to end up in NYC and in the chance that I am not approved to test one last time.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Dozo offers about 13% of their class full-tuition - not sure what numbers are needed for that. What about Brooklyn? They give out a little money too

(just adding this as I thought of it - I just realized it seems like I ignored your post)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Dozo offers about 13% of their class full-tuition - not sure what numbers are needed for that. What about Brooklyn? They give out a little money too

(just adding this as I thought of it - I just realized it seems like I ignored your post)
I'm Jewish and all my family lives in israel. So if Im going to school in the city that is not NYU or CLS (and maybe Fordham) and not somewhere else elsewhere that's a better ranked school, it'll be Cardozo. For me, the fact that it runs on the Jewish calendar is a huge advantage.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Lear22 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Dozo offers about 13% of their class full-tuition - not sure what numbers are needed for that. What about Brooklyn? They give out a little money too

I'm Jewish and all my family lives in israel. So if Im going to school in the city that is not NYU or CLS (and maybe Fordham) and not somewhere else elsewhere that's a better ranked school, it'll be Cardozo. For me, the fact that it runs on the Jewish calendar is a huge advantage.
If you want NY, Cardozo is a much better option than Tulane.

But, it's tough to get a decent job out of 'Dozo, because it's behind Columbia, NYU, Cornell and Fordham, and tied with Brooklyn, not to mention competition from other top schools - many non-NYC top schools place heavily into NY.
Good luck

As an aside, Fordham doesn't have class on Yom Kippur and has a large contingent of jews

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Lear22 wrote:

So let me get this straight: You want to end up in NYC. You like NYC. You're Jewish. And you're debating between two similarly ranked schools, one a well-respected law school in New York city that's part of Yeshiva University, or a similarly-ranked but not as well respected in NYC school in the South?

All things equal, and these your only two options, go to Cardozo. Maybe if Tulane gave you a HUGE amount of money you should consider it, but excepting that, go to the regional school that's in the region you want to practice.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:52 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

So let me get this straight: You want to end up in NYC. You like NYC. You're Jewish. And you're debating between two similarly ranked schools, one a well-respected law school in New York city that's part of Yeshiva University, or a similarly-ranked but not as well respected in NYC school in the South?

All things equal, and these your only two options, go to Cardozo. Maybe if Tulane gave you a HUGE amount of money you should consider it, but excepting that, go to the regional school that's in the region you want to practice.
I tend to agree with you. My biggest 'fear' is NYC COL while in school. The one thing I didn't mention is that if it does come down to these two schools or 2-3 more similarly ranked schools, I am also drawn to cardozo's summer start.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Lear22 wrote: I tend to agree with you. My biggest 'fear' is NYC COL while in school. The one thing I didn't mention is that if it does come down to these two schools or 2-3 more similarly ranked schools, I am also drawn to cardozo's summer start.
While the difference between New Orleans and NYC COL is not non-negligible, compared to your total COA, it's minuscule. Go to the school that gives you the best job prospects in the city where you want to work, and try to do it as cheaply as possible.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm

dingbat wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

If you want NY, Cardozo is a much better option than Tulane.

But, it's tough to get a decent job out of 'Dozo, because it's behind Columbia, NYU, Cornell and Fordham, and tied with Brooklyn, not to mention competition from other top schools - many non-NYC top schools place heavily into NY.
Good luck

As an aside, Fordham doesn't have class on Yom Kippur and has a large contingent of jews
Yah i know about Yom Kippur but Cardozo is run completely in accordance to the Jewish calendar (don't know if you know but Jews have SO MANY holidays. Way too many to some people's opinion... :roll: )

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Lear22 wrote: I tend to agree with you. My biggest 'fear' is NYC COL while in school. The one thing I didn't mention is that if it does come down to these two schools or 2-3 more similarly ranked schools, I am also drawn to cardozo's summer start.
While the difference between New Orleans and NYC COL is not non-negligible, compared to your total COA, it's minuscule. Go to the school that gives you the best job prospects in the city where you want to work, and try to do it as cheaply as possible.
Yup. The good (and bad) thing with me is that I really have no ties anywhere and am not set on any specific area where I would like to work post law school. I love NYC, but I am not 100% set on it. That's why my no1 agenda is to go to the best school I can get into, and one that would give me as many job opportunities in as many places in the US.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:00 am

And just in case you missed the point made earlier, while Cardozo is 4th in line in NYC behind Columbia, NYU, and Fordham, NYC is the legal capital of the country. You are going to be competing with every student in the T14 on top of the top students from all the schools ranked above Cardozo and Tulane. Cardozo will put you in the best position to make that happenstance connection that could land you a job. It's not a good reason to go there, and I would seriously caution you from attending any law school in that position without substantial scholarship.
Lear22 wrote: Yup. The good (and bad) thing with me is that I really have no ties anywhere and am not set on any specific area where I would like to work post law school. I love NYC, but I am not 100% set on it. That's why my no1 agenda is to go to the best school I can get into, and one that would give me as many job opportunities in as many places in the US.
All schools outside of the T14 are regional. If you want national portability, then you seriously need to retake the LSAT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”