Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Schools are the Most Conservative?

University of Chicago
24%
NYU
4%
UC Berkeley
9%
University of Pennsylvania
2%
University of Virginia
33%
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
1%
Duke University
16%
Northwestern University
3%
Georgetown University
4%
Cornell University
3%

Total votes: 362

Samara

Gold

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Post by Samara » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am

Bildungsroman wrote:This is a lot of space that could be used to point out moronic someone needs to be to let the student body political composition rule out schools.
You're right, and since there's a limited number of posts that can be made on this site, I shouldn't be wasting them with posts that aren't beating a dead horse.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 am

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long and that what OP has got out of it is that he should not apply to Virginia. There is no difference in politics between the T14 significant enough to even qualify as a factor in your decision, let alone to cause you to drop a school from your list.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Bronte wrote:I can't believe this thread has gone on this long and that what OP has got out of it is that he should not apply to Virginia. There is no difference in politics between the T14 significant enough to even qualify as a factor in your decision, let alone to cause you to drop a school from your list.
Pretty much. Although I appreciated that Michigan was qualified as a liberal haven that is actually not nice to URMs. Pro-tip: T14s are universally liberal havens that get butthurt about any disagreement on URM/gay issues, and you will be surrounded by liberals that think like you at any of them. But they'll probably make one statement you disagree with and your world will be fucking crushed by all the ignorant idiots around you.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Bronte wrote:I can't believe this thread has gone on this long and that what OP has got out of it is that he should not apply to Virginia. There is no difference in politics between the T14 significant enough to even qualify as a factor in your decision, let alone to cause you to drop a school from your list.
I dunno, if he's as hypersensitive to politics as he sounds, then staying away from UVA might be a good idea.

He'd at least be doing UVA students a favor that way.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
I dunno, if he's as hypersensitive to politics as he sounds, then staying away from UVA might be a good idea.

I'll revise: to the extent differences in politics between T14s are going to be a problem for OP, he should strongly consider opening his mind a little bit before he drops any schools from his list. If the diversity of views between the T14 is going to be a problem for you OP, the real world is going to crush you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Bronte wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I'll revise: to the extent differences in politics between T14s are going to be a problem for OP, he should strongly consider opening his mind a little bit before he drops any schools from his list. If the diversity of views between the T14 is going to be a problem for you OP, the real world is going to crush you.
I am still guessing there isn't any real "diversity of views" on the kinds of conservative positions OP is looking to avoid, but since he refuses to explain what he has in mind by "conservative," I guess we'll never know. Maybe he thinks Originalism is a super offensive concept.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 pm

IAFG wrote:I am still guessing there isn't any real "diversity of views" on the kinds of conservative positions OP is looking to avoid, but since he refuses to explain what he has in mind by "conservative," I guess we'll never know. Maybe he thinks Originalism is a super offensive concept.
Yeah I still think the political differences are likely negligible. But I guess that's premised on the idea that learning a little bit about transaction costs is not going to be deeply offensive to most people.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 am

Samara wrote:
Swimp wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.
Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.
You don't need to believe in God to be a dumb conservative.

real conservatism has a great tradition but if you are calling the current republican party "conservatives" than you have a problem.. The current republican party are a bunch of neo-fascists, ultra reactionaries completely bought and paid by the big special interests. Calling the republicans "conservative" is as dumb as calling the democrats "liberals". There is nothing liberal about the democratic party and there is nothing conservative about the republican party.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Who comes up with this crap? I would estimate that liberals outnumber conservatives at UVA by more than 2 to 1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

zman wrote:real conservatism has a great tradition but if you are calling the current republican party "conservatives" than you have a problem.. The current republican party are a bunch of neo-fascists, ultra reactionaries completely bought and paid by the big special interests. Calling the republicans "conservative" is as dumb as calling the democrats "liberals". There is nothing liberal about the democratic party and there is nothing conservative about the republican party.
Is that you?

RightWingConspiracy

New

Post by RightWingConspiracy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm

I would hate to attend a school with like-minded conservatives. I am looking forward to attending a far leftist law school :D

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this site* in a long time. Virginia and Chicago, even if they are the two most conservative schools in the T14**, are still overwhelmingly liberal by every reasonable measure. And the only reason Duke got any votes at all is because of ignorant people who don't know anything about it but assume a yankee-infested law school in the third most liberal town† in a purple state that only voted for Obama by a little bit last time must be full of "are country" Republicans.

Don't apply to BYU or George Mason. Other than that, you should be fine.

*Excluding the acronyms "T10" and "T13".
**And in Chicago's case, I'm just assuming based on my one visit that "conservative" means "85% Democrat, 15% Ron Paul Revolution".
†And it's within 10 miles of the other two.

quiver wrote:Is that you?
+1

While I'm at it, I'll also troll for my school a little bit: Despite NYU's rep as a left-wing haven (which it is), people here are actually pretty tolerant of both moderates and Actual Republicans. Much moreso than at UNC and Duke, in fact.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Threads like this are the ultimate facepalms for me. I've always been pretty turned off with how far left law schools are and the mindset of some of these applicants (not because of my particular political proclivity, but because I don't like one-sided groupthink stampedes). Scratching a school of your list because its a 7 or 8 on the uber-liberal meter vs. a 9 or 10? Gimme a break. All top law schools are quite liberal, and saying that one is slightly "conservative" simply means that its slightly less liberal than the others. Not a reason to run away from some perceived conservative boogeyman.

God forbid students seek out an environment that isn't so one-sided as to essentially marginalize and push aside any viewpoint outside of the uniform groupthink. An earlier post is right in that people are conflating "conservative" with what current Republicans seem to say/think. There is indeed a long tradition of conservative ideas and viewpoints that can and should be a part of law school discourse, as a way of counterbalancing the typically-liberal points. And that has nothing to do with the neo-facist, religiously-dominated things the current Republicans say. I'd say most law school "conservatives" tend to just be libertarians anyway, and focus more on economic conservatism.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:42 pm

OP here. I think a lot of people missed the point of me creating this thread. I don`t have a problem with conservative ideas. I do have a problem with racism though, and it just so happens that conservative schools are much more likely to have this type of culture on their campuses. I'm willing to bet that Virginia has a smaller percentage of minorities than most of the other T-14's. A lot of you may think this thread is foolish, but I bet it will be very useful to URM's applying in the future.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I think a lot of people missed the point of me creating this thread. I don`t have a problem with conservative ideas. I do have a problem with racism though, and it just so happens that conservative schools are much more likely to have this type of culture on their campuses. I'm willing to bet that Virginia has a smaller percentage of minorities than most of the other T-14's. A lot of you may think this thread is foolish, but I bet it will be very useful to URM's applying in the future.
"Conservative", especially when we are using the word in the context of T14 law schools, most certainly doesn't correlate with racist. But if this is a concern, why not contact the school and ask about their diversity initiatives, student groups, etc. Ask them to put you in touch with URM students or groups and ask the students themselves what their experiences are. Don't make assumptions without looking into the matter.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:20 pm

kaiser wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I think a lot of people missed the point of me creating this thread. I don`t have a problem with conservative ideas. I do have a problem with racism though, and it just so happens that conservative schools are much more likely to have this type of culture on their campuses. I'm willing to bet that Virginia has a smaller percentage of minorities than most of the other T-14's. A lot of you may think this thread is foolish, but I bet it will be very useful to URM's applying in the future.
"Conservative", especially when we are using the word in the context of T14 law schools, most certainly doesn't correlate with racist. But if this is a concern, why not contact the school and ask about their diversity initiatives, student groups, etc. Ask them to put you in touch with URM students or groups and ask the students themselves what their experiences are. Don't make assumptions without looking into the matter.
Yeah, this. Also, why didn't you just ask if there are any T14's that are racist instead of trying to analyze the issue from one (very imperfect) step removed?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:26 pm

So, when you asked which schools were the most conservative, you actually meant which schools were the most racist. And you think that a thread discussing slight differences in legal philosophy will somehow be useful to future readers in discerning which T14s are more minority-friendly. That is just... I am at a loss for words.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Bronte wrote:
So, when you asked which schools were the most conservative, you actually meant which schools were the most racist. And you think that a thread discussing slight differences in legal philosophy will somehow be useful to future readers in discerning which T14s are more minority-friendly. That is just... I am at a loss for words.
The word you're looking for is "fucktarded."

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:00 pm

If only there were a way to know what percent of the student body identifies as a minority at each school....

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Bronte wrote:
The funny thing is, a ton of people totally got the point, told him his assumptions were wrong about what "conservative" meant in this context, and now he says we missed the point. JFC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
Bronte wrote:So, when you asked which schools were the most conservative, you actually meant which schools were the most racist. And you think that a thread discussing slight differences in legal philosophy will somehow be useful to future readers in discerning which T14s are more minority-friendly. That is just... I am at a loss for words.
The funny thing is, a ton of people totally got the point, told him his assumptions were wrong about what "conservative" meant in this context, and now he says we missed the point. JFC.
Right, people have told him there's probably no difference between the T14 in terms of conservatism. Then told him that, even if there is, it's not "are country" conservatism. From that, he decides that he shouldn't go to UVA because it's more racist than other T14s.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Fall of 2012 Percentage of Minorities

University of Chicago (2011): 26%
NYU: 30%
University of Pennsylvania: 35%
UC Berkeley: 40%
University of Virginia: 21%
University of Michigan: 27%
Duke University (2011): 31%
Northwestern University (2011): 35%
Cornell University (2011): 49%
Georgetown University: 22%

Based on these numbers, it appears to me that there is some correlation between the conservative nature of a school and minorities not wanting to attend. Why do Northwestern and Cornell have a significantly higher percentage of minorities than the better schools of University of Virginia and the University of Chicago? I visited the University of Chicago a few years ago; I did not get a good vibe. Its not a school I am too excited about applying to. I phrased the poll question the way I did, because I was trying to be politically correct. I did not want to flat out ask: Which T-14 school has the most racist culture?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

NO T14 HAS A RACIST CULTURE.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Fall of 2012 Percentage of Minorities

University of Chicago (2011): 26%
NYU: 30%
University of Pennsylvania: 35%
UC Berkeley: 40%
University of Virginia: 21%
University of Michigan: 27%
Duke University (2011): 31%
Northwestern University (2011): 35%
Cornell University (2011): 49%
Georgetown University: 22%

Based on these numbers, it appears to me that there is some correlation between the conservative nature of a school and minorities not wanting to attend. Why do Northwestern and Cornell have a significantly higher percentage of minorities than the better schools of University of Virginia and the University of Chicago? I visited the University of Chicago a few years ago; I did not get a good vibe. Its not a school I am too excited about applying to. I phrased the poll question the way I did, because I was trying to be politically correct. I did not want to flat out ask: Which T-14 school has the most racist culture?
So instead you insulted approximately half of the United States?

Also, just so you know 78% of America is white, so by your own standards you should probably choose a "less conservative" country. It must have something to do with those excited feelings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”