What's wrong with American Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

Gold

Re: What's wrong with American Law?

Post by androstan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:sorry OP, i tried, but the elitist on this forum always bashes American U
No elitists in this thread but a lot of American bashing, can't parse statement.

American has dismal employment statistics. Specialty rankings are a feather on the scale of whether you should attend somewhere or not, and some plausibly argue that this is generous. A 0L has no idea what kind of law they will end up liking. American is a private school that costs a hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition and opportunity cost, and is already geographically rubbing shoulders with GULC, GW, and George Mason, all three of which outplace it. Additionally, its market is targeted heavily by Vandy, Duke, and UVA, and to a (only marginally) lesser extent the rest of the T14, but perhaps to an even greater extent HYS. It is directly outclassed by neighbor George Mason, which has better employment statistics and lower tuition. Oh yeah, and there are a slew of other schools in the same geographic region that will be competing for jobs. U Richmond, Catholic, UDC, and Howard.

Everyone wants to do "international law." Whatever "it" is exactly, "it" is incredibly competitive, and firms will sort you based on how well they regard your institution and on your grades.

None of this is elitist, because all of it is true. All of it weighs against American.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 pm

jchiles wrote:Say what you want about American but leave The Dude out of this, honestly you're just a out of your element
TYTY

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:36 pm

androstan wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:sorry OP, i tried, but the elitist on this forum always bashes American U
No elitists in this thread but a lot of American bashing, can't parse statement.

American has dismal employment statistics. Specialty rankings are a feather on the scale of whether you should attend somewhere or not, and some plausibly argue that this is generous. A 0L has no idea what kind of law they will end up liking. American is a private school that costs a hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition and opportunity cost, and is already geographically rubbing shoulders with GULC, GW, and George Mason, all three of which outplace it. Additionally, its market is targeted heavily by Vandy, Duke, and UVA, and to a (only marginally) lesser extent the rest of the T14, but perhaps to an even greater extent HYS. It is directly outclassed by neighbor George Mason, which has better employment statistics and lower tuition. Oh yeah, and there are a slew of other schools in the same geographic region that will be competing for jobs. U Richmond, Catholic, UDC, and Howard.

Everyone wants to do "international law." Whatever "it" is exactly, "it" is incredibly competitive, and firms will sort you based on how well they regard your institution and on your grades.

None of this is elitist, because all of it is true. All of it weighs against American.
tldr: In terms of employment statistics, American is terrible like justin bieber

edit: OP, what most people are trying to say is that if you get into higher ranked schools with better shots at legal employment, you should think LONG AND HARD about turning them down for American

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:39 pm

cc.celina wrote:American is terrible like justin bieber
This makes no sense.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
cc.celina wrote:American is terrible like justin bieber
This makes no sense.
Jah'rakal wrote:
arkansawyer wrote:Jah'rakal = TennesseeJed
i just noticed ur avatar looks awfully like the avatar of "the dude", same actor? never paid too much attention before cause the big lebowski is terrible like justin bieber

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
i just noticed ur avatar looks awfully like the avatar of "the dude", same actor? never paid too much attention before cause the big lebowski is terrible like justin bieber
Not liking Big Lebowski, not seeing True Grit and not knowing who Jeff Bridges is? This trolling has gone too far now
sorry, I am URM
Cool. How's your other troll account JD Janitor going?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:03 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
cc.celina wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:TITCR
Did you just TITCR your own R?
Only American U students think they're T1.

This. American is an extremely expensive school in a bloated legal market with two vastly superior options. I see nothing to distinguish it (in a positive manner) from any of a number of T2s like Cardozo, Tulane, Temple, Uconn, etc.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:06 pm

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:American was hanging on barely to its T1 status in 2011 at 49, but since has improved in the ranks. I think it's a good school with a solid reputation, and most importantly, it is right at DC where most opportunities are, that being said, the reason it is bashed often is because it is surrounded by even better schools in the region, while top grads from other top schools are attracted to DC as well, so American cannot get much of the pie in the end, but like many other lower t1 schools, u work hard and do well in classes, you will have a prestigious gig in DC where international law thrives
I know you're a troll, but American being in DC is probably the only reason its held on to its T1 "reputation" as long as it has, not the other way around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:American was hanging on barely to its T1 status in 2011 at 49, but since has improved in the ranks. I think it's a good school with a solid reputation, and most importantly, it is right at DC where most opportunities are, that being said, the reason it is bashed often is because it is surrounded by even better schools in the region, while top grads from other top schools are attracted to DC as well, so American cannot get much of the pie in the end, but like many other lower t1 schools, u work hard and do well in classes, you will have a prestigious gig in DC where international law thrives
TITCR
This post made fucking LOL.
Must have been a long day

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 pm

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm

facile princeps wrote: Image
TITCR

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 am

What do 0Ls think international law is exactly? Making it rain in night clubs in Paris? Wake up OP, it isn't a real field and adding "international" in front of things doesn't make it more cool or prestigious.

So sick of listening to 0L liberal artists with zero professional background talk about "international law", while the scumbag faculty at these type of TTTs just encourage the myth and collect the money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 am

JamesChapman23 wrote:What do 0Ls think international law is exactly? Making it rain in night clubs in Paris? Wake up OP, it isn't a real field and adding "international" in front of things doesn't make it more cool or prestigious.

So sick of listening to 0L liberal artists with zero professional background talk about "international law", while the scumbag faculty at these type of TTTspublication USNWR just encourage the myth and collect the money through specialty rankings..

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:27 am

HOW DID THIS MANY PEOPLE WHO SPEND ENTIRE DAYS DOING NOTHING BUT POSTING "FLAME!" AND "TROLL!" ABOUT EVERY SINGLE COMMENT GET FOOLED BY THIS? YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS. THE GUYS POSTS THAT A) AMERICAN IS GOOD, B) THAT HE WANTS TO DO INTERNATIONAL LAW, C) THAT HE WANTS TO ENROLL IN THEIR SHITTY MBA PROGRAM, AND D) THAT GW IS ON PAR WITH BERKELEY ET AL. HOW DOES THIS NOT SCREAM FLAME WHEN YOU READ IT?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:29 am

Yukos wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
133, trying too hard now.
+1

Come on, bro, you were actually doing ok before that.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
TITCR

He quotes self FTW. LMFAO

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 am

Borg wrote:HOW DID THIS MANY PEOPLE WHO SPEND ENTIRE DAYS DOING NOTHING BUT POSTING "FLAME!" AND "TROLL!" ABOUT EVERY SINGLE COMMENT GET FOOLED BY THIS? YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS. THE GUYS POSTS THAT A) AMERICAN IS GOOD, B) THAT HE WANTS TO DO INTERNATIONAL LAW, C) THAT HE WANTS TO ENROLL IN THEIR SHITTY MBA PROGRAM, AND D) THAT GW IS ON PAR WITH BERKELEY ET AL. HOW DOES THIS NOT SCREAM FLAME WHEN YOU READ IT?
You mad bro? Plus look at the OP post history, he seems legit. (Maybe I'm too trusting.) As for the OP, I go to school with people who have actually said things like, "maybe I would have been better at X Law School b/c I really want to do international law and they're ranked higher than our school in that." I just nod and quietly thank the universe that this thought process was not part of their original decision making.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:40 am

Icculus wrote:
Borg wrote:HOW DID THIS MANY PEOPLE WHO SPEND ENTIRE DAYS DOING NOTHING BUT POSTING "FLAME!" AND "TROLL!" ABOUT EVERY SINGLE COMMENT GET FOOLED BY THIS? YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS. THE GUYS POSTS THAT A) AMERICAN IS GOOD, B) THAT HE WANTS TO DO INTERNATIONAL LAW, C) THAT HE WANTS TO ENROLL IN THEIR SHITTY MBA PROGRAM, AND D) THAT GW IS ON PAR WITH BERKELEY ET AL. HOW DOES THIS NOT SCREAM FLAME WHEN YOU READ IT?
You mad bro? Plus look at the OP post history, he seems legit. (Maybe I'm too trusting.) As for the OP, I go to school with people who have actually said things like, "maybe I would have been better at X Law School b/c I really want to do international law and they're ranked higher than our school in that." I just nod and quietly thank the universe that this thought process was not part of their original decision making.
FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 am

Borg wrote:
Icculus wrote:

DudewutYeah.... but u mad?

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 am

All caps, it gets my attention.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 am

Borg wrote:
Icculus wrote:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:49 am

vpintz wrote:
Borg wrote:
Icculus wrote:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING
WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK I'M MAD AND HOW CAN YOU EVEN YELL ON THE INTERNET???

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am

By typing in all caps, calling people idiots, and using 10-50 exclamation points

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:16 am

Borg wrote:
vpintz wrote:WHY ARE YOU YELLING
WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK I'M MAD AND HOW CAN YOU EVEN YELL ON THE INTERNET???
--LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”