"If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JCFindley

Silver

Re: "If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home"

Post by JCFindley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Seriously, you would live with your parents during law school? What the hell is wrong with you?
lol is this someone in your class?
I see this "I'll just live with mom and dad!" sentiment constantly on this website, and I just wanted to inform all prospective law students that it's crazy talk.
Why is this crazy talk? I won't be living at home, but if living at home and saving $10k/yr means that you won't have to move back in with your folks after you graduate, then I say go for it. Imagine not having to pay back that extra $30k or so. Check your ego at the door. I love the douchebaggery that runs rampant on this website, especially when it comes from people in their early twenties who have never had a real job in their entire lives.
This

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Geist13 wrote: If you can't see why some people get along with their parents enough to live with them and see incredible value in saving close to $30,000 over the course of their law school attendance, what the hell is wrong with you?
I get along with my parents too well to live with them.

As much as I hate to admit it, they want to bang to. Plus the thought of making them pay, or feel obligated to pay for, my living expenses and food on a regular basis makes me feel horrible. They did more than enough getting me here.

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 pm

chimp wrote:Sweet thread, d bag.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I am like 20% as productive when I live with my parents.
Same here. Too many distractions.

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm

chimp wrote:Sweet thread, d bag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I could see going either way. It probably depends on the person and the parents.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Aren't poor people just the grossest?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 pm

kwais wrote:Aren't poor people just the grossest?
There's no possible way you're this stupid.

Also, I had no idea there was such a strong contingent of people on here who supported continuing adolescence into one's mid-20s even after you have the means not to.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Don't you people have any money?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Also, I had no idea there was such a strong contingent of people on here who supported continuing adolescence into one's mid-20s even after you have the means not to.

Living with parents =/= continued adolescence.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:56 pm

senorhosh wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I'll take that bet.

Also, lol at the person who said he could save a ton of money on food staying with the folks. Unless you're a huge moocher you should save exactly $0 on food living at home. Carry your weight.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

If you're going to a crap law school in a city where your parents live, and you don't have a full ride, you'd be an idiot NOT to live with your parents. Law school isn't about being the cool kid in class, hosting parties, or bringing home strange. It's about getting a good job - BigLaw, basically - and minimizing debt, and then GTFO.

I would have had no problem living with my parents if there had been a T14 in my hometown. Sorry if your parents aren't as credited.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
senorhosh wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I'll take that bet.

Also, lol at the person who said he could save a ton of money on food staying with the folks. Unless you're a huge moocher you should save exactly $0 on food living at home. Carry your weight.
Why you so mad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

pooling resources with family does not equal continuing adolescence you idiot. Some people continue adolescence from 1000 miles away by calling mommy to ask permission to cross the street. Some people live with family to save money. You sound retarded right now and your responses are only digging you deeper.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

RVP11 wrote: Why you so mad?
My internet cut out right in the middle of my WoW time.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
RVP11 wrote: Why you so mad?
My internet cut out right in the middle of my WoW time.
You really are mad about this topic, bro. I'm guessing either your parents suck or you have a younger sibling who takes advantage of them to what you consider an unacceptable degree. Amirite?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

kwais wrote:pooling resources with family does not equal continuing adolescence you idiot. Some people continue adolescence from 1000 miles away by calling mommy to ask permission to cross the street. Some people live with family to save money. You sound retarded right now and your responses are only digging you deeper.
I mean, I'd feel bad bumming rent-free off my parents for 3 years of my mid-20s,but if your parents are cool with that and you could tolerate living with them for another 3 years then more power to you, even though I can't understand it myself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

I mean I guess if you don't get the guest house it might be rough but even then it is passable as long as you avoid the wings that your parents or siblings like to occupy.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kwais wrote:pooling resources with family does not equal continuing adolescence you idiot. Some people continue adolescence from 1000 miles away by calling mommy to ask permission to cross the street. Some people live with family to save money. You sound retarded right now and your responses are only digging you deeper.
I mean, I'd feel bad bumming rent-free off my parents for 3 years of my mid-20s,but if your parents are cool with that and you could tolerate living with them for another 3 years then more power to you, even though I can't understand it myself.
lulz at the moderate response after starting the douchiest thread ever

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

No, bro, you totally shouldn't live in your parents' 5 bedroom house to help take care of them, you should go rent a small expensive apartment in the citeh and pay extra utility bills and be totally independent and free and grown up and urban. Let your parents live alone and miss you, and let your mom's chicken pot pies go uneaten. To do otherwise would be so immature and weak of you.

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Rent: 550
Electricity: 45 (summer)
Food: 400
Water: 9.00
Cable: 35
Total: 1039.

Not being interrupted/annoyed by your parents...
Not having to tell a girl to be quiet because your mom is in the next room..
Priceless.

And i agree that living away from home doesn't make you an adult. Freshman year a kid on my floor made his parents drive two hours to do his laundry each weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Translation: my parents are insufferable, so fuck you if yours aren't.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:14 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Translation: my parents are insufferable, so fuck you if yours aren't.
You keep trying to make this about my parents but I'm not going to indulge your weird obsession with proving I somehow have a shitty family life.
HuskyHopeful wrote:
And i agree that living away from home doesn't make you an adult.
Never said it did.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:15 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Rent: 550
Electricity: 45 (summer)
Food: 400
Water: 9.00
Cable: 35
Total: 1039.

Not being interrupted/annoyed by your parents...
Not having to tell a girl to be quiet because your mom is in the next room..
Priceless.

And i agree that living away from home doesn't make you an adult. Freshman year a kid on my floor made his parents drive two hours to do his laundry each weekend.
For real do your parents ever interrupt you? No they don't. Also, making normal sex sounds isn't a problem. Otherwise you would have heard your dad hitting the walls your entire childhood.That is a made up worry.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Lots of normal people would prefer not to live with their parents. But in my experience, the only people who get really judgey about others' close relationships or living with their parents (like, to the point of making a thread about it) are those who have bad relationships with family.

There's nothing weird about you not wanting to live with your parents. There's a lot weird with you caring about whether anyone else does.
Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”