Penn State reputation post-Sandusky Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sergiokun16

Bronze

Penn State reputation post-Sandusky

Post by sergiokun16 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

Hi guys. I am very interested in applying to PSU for fall 2013, but I just wanted to see if anyone thought the whole Sandusky scandal is going to somehow negatively impact PSU's job placement. I really don't expect that it will, but figured it still didn't hurt to ask around. Thanks in advance for input.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Re: Penn State reputation post-Sandusky

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:50 am

hahahahah I thought this was a joke. "Penn State reputation post-Sandusky" sounds absolutely hilarious. To answer your question, I don't think it will have an impact at all.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am

Last edited by fanmingrui on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am

PSU was a shitty law school before and it will remain a shitty law school, kidfucking not withstanding

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 am

Have you already taken the LSAT?

Penn State is not a school you want to attend if you can help it. As for the scandal, I think it will hurt every aspect of the school as reputation is a major aspect of job placement. However, I do not think it will affect things all that much. Its not as if Penn State Law had a prestigious rep anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

sergiokun16 wrote:Hi guys. I am very interested in applying to PSU for fall 2013, but I just wanted to see if anyone thought the whole Sandusky scandal is going to somehow negatively impact PSU's job placement. I really don't expect that it will, but figured it still didn't hurt to ask around. Thanks in advance for input.
Shouldn't effect the LS at all though they have taken a hit with lay prestige.

Keep in mind, PSU feeds a very competitive market with a lot of peer or much better schools feeding the same market so make sure you do your research on job prospects coming out of PSU and if those prospects fit YOUR desires/needs.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am

JCFindley wrote:Shouldn't effect the LS at all though they have taken a hit with lay prestige.
Not flame:

PSU has lay prestige? I always just thought it was some party school in the middle of nowhere. And I lived in the northeast for a while.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 am

I think it will drive the school's elder and family law sections to new heights.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 am

Last edited by fanmingrui on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChikaBoom

Platinum

Post by ChikaBoom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 am

Don't know, man. Group showering skills could be a plus.

Seriously, I would focus on whether it's a good investment with regards to job prospects. Where do you want to practice? Does it place there? There are way too many variables in this to be worried about that.

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 am

ChikaBoom wrote:Don't know, man. Group showering skills could be a plus.

Seriously, I would focus on whether it's a good investment with regards to job prospects. Where do you want to practice? Does it place there? There are way too many variables in this to be worried about that.
Mostly interested in the Northeast, so I thought it might potentially be a good fit. I realize it has many other schools to compete with for alot of the same jobs, and it's definitely not my #1, but just wanted to hear what people had to say about it.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 am

Don't go to Penn State, lest you too fall victim to the wandering hands of the "tickle-monster".

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 am

sergiokun16 wrote:Mostly interested in the Northeast, so I thought it might potentially be a good fit. I realize it has many other schools to compete with for alot of the same jobs, and it's definitely not my #1, but just wanted to hear what people had to say about it.
Have you checked the Law School Transparency stats on it? Its placement is pure shit. If you want the Northeast, don't go there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 am

Oddly, PSU fund-raising hit an all time high of $208 million dollars this year.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 am

tfleming09 wrote: PSU has lay prestige? I always just thought it was some party school in the middle of nowhere. And I lived in the northeast for a while.
When I was younger I assumed they were a good academic school because they slaughtered the Big 10 in football most years. Obviously a faulty assumption.

Penn State is in a tough spot because Philly and Pitt both have their own local TTs that have the upper hand in their respective markets.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 am

Nova wrote:When I was younger I assumed they were a good academic school because they slaughtered the Big 10 in football most years. Obviously a faulty assumption.

Penn State is in a tough spot because Philly and Pitt both have their own local TTs that have the upper hand in their respective markets.
It's funny how often we conflate good sports teams with good academics.

To your second point - you're absolutely right. PSU is a feeder into no-man's land (rural PA)

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am

fanmingrui wrote: Dood, UPennState is uber-preftigious.
Between this thread and your other attempts at this joke such as the ranking T14 prestige thread, you may have killed this joke for me. :( Just wanted you to know...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 am

Last edited by fanmingrui on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 am

fanmingrui wrote: Glad I could help, brah.
It's all in the execution, friend.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 am

tfleming09 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Shouldn't effect the LS at all though they have taken a hit with lay prestige.
Not flame:

PSU has lay prestige? I always just thought it was some party school in the middle of nowhere. And I lived in the northeast for a while.
Now Dude, I agree with 99% of what you say on here but you obviously need some splain'n done on what "lay prestige" is in my world.

I have deep southern roots and with that lay prestige is Div1 (BCS Championship series or whatever it is called now) college football prowess and level of fan fanaticism, nothing more, nothing less. In MY world ALL SEC teams have this lay prestige with the possible exceptions of Kentucky and Vandy. In MY world PSU used to field teams that could run with the big dogs in the SEC and thus had some lay prestige. In MY world, HYP don't even field teams in this division and thus have NO lay prestige whatsoever! Stanford has a good QB once in a while so has SOME lay prestige. Oregon is up and coming in lay prestige. Nebraska and Michigan have enough lay prestige from past greatness to overcome current shortcomings. ND is always WAY overrated when it comes to lay prestige but they will inevitably get into a good lay prestige bowl because of that overratedness.

Oh, PSU HAD lay prestige but it took a HUGE hit with my personal lay-prestige rankings. Oh, and just for fun, here is the JC Findley Lay Prestige guide to law schools which is a mix of LS rating and MY lay prestige rankings.

1. Bama
2. Vandy
2. UGA
4. Michigan
5. Nebraska
6. LSU
7. Arkansas
8. USC
9. Oregon
10. Stanford
11. Florida
12. Texas A&M
13. Texas
14. Wisconsin
15. Iowa
Last edited by JCFindley on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:30 am

tfleming09 wrote:PSU was a shitty law school before and it will remain a shitty law school, kidfucking not withstanding
Yeah I wouldnt go here regardless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 am

Reputation? Sodomized.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Not flame:

At least in PA, it's viewed as a solid performer that produces good graduates. It was ranked #1 by recruiters in 2010 and Smeal is a top 10 public business school. Certainly doesn't have anywhere near the prestige of Penn (and the scandal will undoubtedly further affect that), but the massive PSU alumni network might help mitigate the fallout re employment for new grads.

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Not flame:

I guess you're not from PA. PSU grads LOVE LOVE LOVE PSU grads. PSU is like a cult. The school is fun mostly by people from PSU. You almost have to have gone to PSU to get a job there. The students think it's the best school ever. They offered me a really great deal, but after the whole we know a coach is raping boys and we're going to handle it internally, I couldn't convince myself to give money to them (even though it wasn't the law school). What happened, and the fact no one DID anything to stop it, or punish Sandusky, is absolutely sickening. One of my friends in grade school was molested, and he'll always be broken. The Sandusky thing is unforgivable. I personally would not become associated with PSU. But PSU grads are so in love with PSU, that they'll always higher alums. I don't think it will really impact the network PSU has.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

I guess you're not from PA. PSU grads LOVE LOVE LOVE PSU grads. PSU is like a cult. The school is fun mostly by people from PSU. You almost have to have gone to PSU to get a job there. The students think it's the best school ever. They offered me a really great deal, but after the whole we know a coach is raping boys and we're going to handle it internally, I couldn't convince myself to give money to them (even though it wasn't the law school). What happened, and the fact no one DID anything to stop it, or punish Sandusky, is absolutely sickening. One of my friends in grade school was molested, and he'll always be broken. The Sandusky thing is unforgivable. I personally would not become associated with PSU. But PSU grads are so in love with PSU, that they'll always higher alums. I don't think it will really impact the network PSU has.
Yeah, the PSU alumni network is fiercely protective of and devoted to the university. Its no coincidence that alumni giving was at its second highest level ever this past year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”