Penn State vs. Florida, 36 hours to decide Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rwhyAn

Bronze

Penn State vs. Florida, 36 hours to decide

Post by rwhyAn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey all, I just got off the wait list at Florida, which I didn't really expect given my numbers, and now I'm really torn. I had been planning to go to Penn State for the past 4 months, but Florida has been my top choice. I have a half-tuition scholarship from PSU, which has a 3.0 stip (top 60%), but I would be OOS at Florida and paying sticker. I have no ties to either area; however, I am from NJ, only 3-4 hours away from PSU. I would prefer to live/work in FL, but it will be an extra $20k for at least the first year and maybe subsequent years if I can't get residency. Thoughts?

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Re: Penn State vs. Florida, 36 hours to decide

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Not Penn State

BK201

New

Post by BK201 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:22 pm

I'd vote for Florida, assuming you can get residency there. I almost went to FSU and I don't think you should have a problem getting residency if you are diligent about getting the paperwork and whatever requirements done. But look into it and make sure it won't be a problem because you do not want to pay sticker all three years.

Amoore114133

New

Post by Amoore114133 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:22 pm

you wanna get sanduskied? go to FLA

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Amoore114133 wrote:you wanna get sanduskied? go to FLA
Too soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 pm

No ties to either place? Don't go. LOL @ FL OOS sticker, and LOL @ PSU.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:28 am

Negotiate as much as possible. I imagine Florida will be the final choice, given that you want FL (I'm assuming that's why it was your top choice)

Also, number? LSAT/GPA? I'm guessing Retake...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 am

Neither are good options... Florida is not worth OOS sticker and PSU is too expensive even at half scholly. If you're dead set on going do PSU and drop out if you lose your scholarship.

Oh, and enjoy Harrisburg.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:14 am

I feel for the people of Sandusky, Ohio. Random Saturday thought.

Go to Florida! :) If its good enough for me, it must be the best choice. haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:33 am

rad lulz wrote:No ties to either place? Don't go. LOL @ FL OOS sticker, and LOL @ PSU.
this, especially without ties the the Florida legal market.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:34 am

You're from NJ. You could probably get a scholarship to one of the Rutgers' and have the same employment opportunities you would at Penn State/UF. If you haven't turned them down yet, seriously consider switching gears ASAP. (I'd even go as far as to say that for the price, you'd have BETTER employment outcomes at either Rutgers than at Penn State, rankings be damned.... and especially for NJ).

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 am

This has to be a flame. Who wants to live in Florida?

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:44 pm

keg411 wrote:You're from NJ. You could probably get a scholarship to one of the Rutgers' and have the same employment opportunities you would at Penn State/UF. If you haven't turned them down yet, seriously consider switching gears ASAP. (I'd even go as far as to say that for the price, you'd have BETTER employment outcomes at either Rutgers than at Penn State, rankings be damned.... and especially for NJ).
Rutgers is out. Also, I didn't receive any money from them (only applied to Newark). Penn State will only be $4k cheaper for tuition each year, but the cost of living is also a lot less. Plus, I actually liked the school and felt comfortable there. I'm not a rankings whore; if I were, I would've chosen UF hands down. I did contact the person in admissions at UF to see if there is any sort of financial help I can get, and I have yet to hear back. So, I guess we'll see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

You're in a tough spot here OP because you're trying to break into Florida without any ties and Florida is supposed to be quite hard to break into. Given that goal, I guess I would have to say UF. But really, I don't think either option is great and I think you should re-evaluate your goal, skip this cycle, and possibly retake.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:No ties to either place? Don't go. LOL @ FL OOS sticker, and LOL @ PSU.
TITCR

PSU is terrible, and Florida is really only a good option if it is cheap. Not a good idea to go into a bunch of debt for a decent school in a saturated, awful market.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TITCR

PSU is terrible, and Florida is really only a good option if it is cheap. Not a good idea to go into a bunch of debt for a decent school in a saturated, awful market.
Yeah psu is in a tough spot. Pittsburgh and Philly each have their preferred regional TTs (Pitt and temple/nova respectively). It's hard to see a legit reason to pick psu.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TITCR

THIS. UF in state is getting tough to acquire and may not happen until your 3L year. Don't bank on it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
keg411 wrote:You're from NJ. You could probably get a scholarship to one of the Rutgers' and have the same employment opportunities you would at Penn State/UF. If you haven't turned them down yet, seriously consider switching gears ASAP. (I'd even go as far as to say that for the price, you'd have BETTER employment outcomes at either Rutgers than at Penn State, rankings be damned.... and especially for NJ).
Rutgers is out. Also, I didn't receive any money from them (only applied to Newark). Penn State will only be $4k cheaper for tuition each year, but the cost of living is also a lot less. Plus, I actually liked the school and felt comfortable there. I'm not a rankings whore; if I were, I would've chosen UF hands down. I did contact the person in admissions at UF to see if there is any sort of financial help I can get, and I have yet to hear back. So, I guess we'll see.
But are you an employment whore? Because you should be. Do you have any connection whatsoever to the state of Florida? Have you been to Gainesville? Because if not, I don't see how UF can be your "top choice," nor how can you be pursuing it at OOS sticker vs. regional options. Isn't RU-C handing out full rides to people who didn't even apply there? Call them up.

siscokyd

New

Post by siscokyd » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Florida

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm

36 hours to let Florida know that they better sweeten the deal or you're going to PSU.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:10 pm

siscokyd wrote:Florida

What is this, OP's alt? You're seriously misguided.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

you can't defer a wait list acceptance can you? if you are wealthy or have wealthy parents you should go to UF. If not there is no way you can attend this year, sorry. Move to Florida and retake.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 am

Decision?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm

TTTehehe wrote:36 hours to let Florida know that they better sweeten the deal or you're going to PSU.

This is what I would do. But I also pay an awful amount of money that I should have never agreed to pay, all while going to school in a state that I had no ties to and now hate/don't want to live in ever again after i graduate.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Ask PSU for more money.

P.S. Aren't New Jersey residents given automatic resident status in Florida ? Or does that only apply to the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area ? :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”