NYU vs. Duke for BIGLAW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or Duke for BIGLAW?

NYU @ Sticker
35%
Duke @ $70K
62%
Retake.
2%

Total votes: 93

beautyistruth

Bronze

Re: NYU vs. Duke for BIGLAW

Post by beautyistruth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm

NedStark12 wrote:
sunynp wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:I go to neither Duke nor NYU. Voted for Duke.

Think about whether you would seriously want to pay an extra ~$100,000 for a few percent increase in biglaw placement. If you would, that's fine. I don't think I would.
OP: have you ever worked in a biglaw firm? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Biglaw is a tough job, it eats most people up and most people can't take more than a few years. You shouldn't assume you will last longer than most people. If you have worked as a biglaw paralegal for a couple of years, I might be willing to think you have a clue. Right now, I'm not sure you understand a single aspect of biglaw other than the paycheck.

You are going to build your whole financial future on the chance for a job that you might not get and if you do get it, you might not keep.

You would be making a huge mistake to pay $100,000 more to go to NYU.
WOW...Game, set, match.

Well said.
But by this logic, neither law school is a good decision. You need biglaw no less at Duke in order to service $100,000 in loans. That won't be fun to service on a $40 k salary, which as I understand, is the other end of the bimodal salary distribution. What seems the most pertinent here is just how well does Duke place into biglaw? How reasonable of a chance does the run-of-the-mill Duke student have of getting a firm job? How much more of a chance do they have at NYU?

PM2353

New

Post by PM2353 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Last edited by PM2353 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:Class of 2011

101+ firms plus federal clerkships

Duke: 56%

NYU: 54%
I don't need to say how misleading this is, considering that the ~20% of NYUers who go into public interest aren't forced there because they couldn't get a biglaw job.
Damn this thread is old. Also, doesn't NYU consider its school-funded students to be in "PI"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”