Michigan State U (MSU Law) or SUNY Buffalo Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blackprism2

New

Michigan State U (MSU Law) or SUNY Buffalo Law School?

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I have finished my 1L year at a third-tier law school and have recently been accepted for transfer at both Michigan State University (MSU) Law School as well as the State University of New York (SUNY) Buffalo Law School. I have looked through the forums and have not found anyone deciding between these two schools.

Things to keep in mind is that I am a dual U.S.-Canada citizen and plan to possibly practice in Ontario when I graduate. So far I am leaning slightly more towards SUNY Buffalo Law since I have heard that one can use their legal license in New York as well as in Ontario (some form of agreement across the border). However I have also heard that New York has the hardest BAR of all the states and this is another factor I am factoring in.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/info/suggestions anyone has about my decision between these law schools.
Info regarding the legal community, hiring perspectives (I know that neither are very high) after graduation, the city itself, etc... would be very helpful!

Thank you very much :)

JD Janitor

Bronze

Re: Michigan State U (MSU Law) or SUNY Buffalo Law School?

Post by JD Janitor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 pm

blackprism2 wrote:I have finished my 1L year at a third-tier law school and have recently been accepted for transfer at both Michigan State University (MSU) Law School as well as the State University of New York (SUNY) Buffalo Law School. I have looked through the forums and have not found anyone deciding between these two schools.

Things to keep in mind is that I am a dual U.S.-Canada citizen and plan to possibly practice in Ontario when I graduate. So far I am leaning slightly more towards SUNY Buffalo Law since I have heard that one can use their legal license in New York as well as in Ontario (some form of agreement across the border). However I have also heard that New York has the hardest BAR of all the states and this is another factor I am factoring in.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/info/suggestions anyone has about my decision between these law schools.
Info regarding the legal community, hiring perspectives (I know that neither are very high) after graduation, the city itself, etc... would be very helpful!

Doesn't MSU have some deal that allows grads to practice in Canada?

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:11 pm

I asked MSU Law and they said the joint Canada-U.S. program is not available to transferring students... only to entering 1L students :(
JD Janitor wrote:
blackprism2 wrote:I have finished my 1L year at a third-tier law school and have recently been accepted for transfer at both Michigan State University (MSU) Law School as well as the State University of New York (SUNY) Buffalo Law School. I have looked through the forums and have not found anyone deciding between these two schools.

Doesn't MSU have some deal that allows grads to practice in Canada?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Compare total COA for each school.
Decide whether you prefer to practice law in Michigan or Western New York.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:46 pm

I'd go Buffalo. MSU is probably the 3rd best law school in a state that's not exactly oozing prosperity. Buffalo isn't so hot, either. But it's not a bad place to live in my opinion if you can stomach the winters (which I'm assuming you can being Canadian and all). Plus, I'd say their only competition for jobs in the city is Syracuse (peer school) and Albany (worse school), plus the random guy from Buffalo who went to Cornell but wants to go home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wake875

New

Post by wake875 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 pm

all options equally bad ----> choose cheapest option.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:25 pm

wake875 wrote:all options equally bad ----> choose cheapest option.
Going to wake?

wake875

New

Post by wake875 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:27 pm

No, going to Maryland. I've always been a huge college basketball fan, grew up watching Tim Duncan and co. tear shit up, plus all my friends were duke fans and I couldn't join them.

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Is anyone from these schools or know of people whom have gone? Statistics are important, but i'd like to hear a bit about people's actual/second-hand experiences :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 pm

blackprism2 wrote:Is anyone from these schools or know of people whom have gone? Statistics are important, but i'd like to hear a bit about people's actual/second-hand experiences :)
"Cold hard facts are good, but I want to hear some hearsay and anecdotes to make myself feel better about what I'm doing"

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:39 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
blackprism2 wrote:Is anyone from these schools or know of people whom have gone? Statistics are important, but i'd like to hear a bit about people's actual/second-hand experiences :)
"Cold hard facts are good, but I want to hear some hearsay and anecdotes to make myself feel better about what I'm doing"
That's why we're here aren't we? If we just wanted to read hard facts/statistics we could do that on our own. I just want some insightful comments about the situation I'm in right now (from people that have been in similar/same situations) :)

Not from some elitist douchebag that has nothing better to do than go on forums making him/herself feel better by bashing those in a less favorable position...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm

It's not elitist to point out that's a dumb request. Spoiler alert, people who go to MSU love it and people who go to SUNY Buffalo love it. Very few will ever tell you otherwise.

Just go to the cheaper one and good luck

wake875

New

Post by wake875 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm from NY. I've visited people in Buffalo before, and never in a million years would I want to spend 3 years there. Walking "downtown" reminded me of 28 days later as the only people outside were homeless people. But they did invent the buffalo wing, so thats something I guess. Thats just me however, I enjoy a city that offers large amounts of easily accessible entertaintment. FWIW my friend who went to undergrad there had a grand time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wake875

New

Post by wake875 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:43 pm

but again, if these are your options take the smaller number because everything else means less than a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on

wake875

New

Post by wake875 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm

And your options could have been better had you made smarter decisions, the LSAT is a completely learnable test and is the most important criteria for getting into a good school, it has nothing to do with elitism

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Apparently any school not within the Top 20 list is not worth going to and people who apply/attend them should just jump into a ditch right? I'm sorry but the world doesn't work like that. Events happen in people's lives that prevent them from attaining what they could have... not ALL OF US have the time to just live in our parent's basement, study, and have someone wipe our asses for us.

I really do appreciate the comments regarding which school I should choose (whether it be experience or statistics), but I see no reason for people to belittle others' situation.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:58 pm

If

-you want to end up in Canada
-MSU won't allow you into their Canadian program
-Buffalo will

how could you choose MSU?

Also, why not try to get some big $$$ from your TTT? In my 0L opinion, I dont think MSU or Buffalo are much better than a TTT in terms of Job placement. I believe MSU actually was a TTT just a few short years ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:04 pm

JD Janitor wrote:If you want to end up in Canada, MSU won't allow you into their Canadian program, and buffalo will, how could you choose MSU?
My mistake regarding Buffalo. I just called the Law Society of Upper Canada and they informed me that no such reciprocity exists between New York and Ontario... either way I go I will still have to apply for an equal education certificate from Canada.

I suppose it is easier to decide now. Whichever school has a lower COA and "better" reputation will be the one I choose. But according to (wake) Buffalo is not very sanitary and has many bums roaming around... hmm...

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm

OP: I imagine SUNY projects better into Ontario, but I'm only basing this on hypothetical benefits of geographic proximity.

I would investigate if it provides a notable bump.

If not, pick the lower COA.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm

blackprism2 wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:If you want to end up in Canada, MSU won't allow you into their Canadian program, and buffalo will, how could you choose MSU?
My mistake regarding Buffalo. I just called the Law Society of Upper Canada and they informed me that no such reciprocity exists between New York and Ontario... either way I go I will still have to apply for an equal education certificate from Canada.

I suppose it is easier to decide now. Whichever school has a lower COA and "better" reputation will be the one I choose. But according to (wake) Buffalo is not very sanitary and has many bums roaming around... hmm...
If it were me and I absolutely had to choose to go to one or the other, I would choose MSU simply for name recognition and because maybe I could weazle my way into their MBA program which is supposed to be decent.

As I said before, why not try to get some big $$$ from your TTT? In my 0L opinion, I dont think MSU or Buffalo are much better than a TTT in terms of Job placement. I believe MSU actually was a TTT just a few short years ago.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:OP: I imagine SUNY projects better into Ontario, but I'm only basing this on hypothetical benefits of geographic proximity.
You know the province of Ontario is right across from Detroit, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blackprism2

New

Post by blackprism2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 pm

JD Janitor wrote: Also, why not try to get some big $$$ from your TTT? In my 0L opinion, I dont think MSU or Buffalo are much better than a TTT in terms of Job placement. I believe MSU actually was a TTT just a few short years ago.
Yeah MSU was... but I thought their joint-degree program was still available to transfer students. Apparently not.

But it is too late to file any other transfer applications and I really do not think it is wise to stay at my TTT (even for the $$$). It's either MSU or SUNY now. Unfortunately I am in my early 20s and do not have much experience in work yet... so an MBA may not be feasible at the moment. I agree with you regarding the name recognition part :)

Also, thank you Jeff, I'll look into the geographical proximity benefits (if any).

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm

blackprism2 wrote:Yeah MSU was... but I thought their joint-degree program was still available to transfer students. Apparently not.

But it is too late to file any other transfer applications and I really do not think it is wise to stay at my TTT (even for the $$$). It's either MSU or SUNY now. Unfortunately I am in my early 20s and do not have much experience in work yet... so an MBA may not be feasible at the moment. I agree with you regarding the name recognition part :)

Also, thank you Jeff, I'll look into the geographical proximity benefits (if any).
Which TTT and what is your class rank?

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:21 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:OP: I imagine SUNY projects better into Ontario, but I'm only basing this on hypothetical benefits of geographic proximity.
You know the province of Ontario is right across from Detroit, right?
Yes, but I'm assuming Toronto is more desirable, and attracts more across the border. Like I said, research would be the correct response.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:27 pm

blackprism2 wrote:Apparently any school not within the Top 20 list is not worth going to and people who apply/attend them should just jump into a ditch right? I'm sorry but the world doesn't work like that. Events happen in people's lives that prevent them from attaining what they could have... not ALL OF US have the time to just live in our parent's basement, study, and have someone wipe our asses for us.

I really do appreciate the comments regarding which school I should choose (whether it be experience or statistics), but I see no reason for people to belittle others' situation.
1. The top-20 comment is not true in the slightest. If someone wants to practice in NY and is choosing between Fordham and another lower-ranked school outside of NY, we will advise them accordingly. Most of the time, no one will tell you to jump in a ditch. They will just try to prevent you from taking on a crippling amount of debt at a school that features bad outcomes.

2. The whole live in our parent's basement and study thing? Utterly insulting. Many of us, like myself, worked full fucking time and managed to pay the bills and still study and do well.

So I'm not going to tell you to jump into a ditch for picking between a SUNY and MSU. I'm going to tell you to jump into a ditch for being a jerk.

But all things considered, pick MSU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”