GULC vs. WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC vs WUSTL

GULC w/75k
64%
WUSTL w/135
36%

Total votes: 39

EggToast

New

GULC vs. WUSTL

Post by EggToast » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

from the midwest, no undergrad debt, no location preference, paying the remaining amount of tuition and living expenses with loans

EggToast

New

Re: GULC vs. WUSTL

Post by EggToast » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 pm

though i know GULC is having a tough day on the forums, this is a little surprising to me. what type of scholarship from GULC would shift the equation?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 pm

The scales weigh in favor of GULC my friend. What about T10 acceptances though??

EggToast

New

Post by EggToast » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Lawquacious wrote:The scales weigh in favor of GULC my friend. What about T10 acceptances though??
no T10 acceptances, unfortunately

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Definitely Georgetown.

I wouldn't take WUSTL unless you were sure you were interested in non-Chicago midwest locations.

Georgetown provides maximum portability.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

disco_stu

New

Post by disco_stu » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Look at the ABA employment data. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Look only at the bar required, full time, long term jobs. Remove all school funded jobs. Remove all solo jobs. From there, remove all jobs you would find undesirable.

When I removed everything I found undesirable (I only looked at bar passage required, full time jobs. removed school funded jobs, removed solo, removed 2-10, removed "unknown", state and local clerkships, academia, and "employment unknown",)I found that both schools gave me about a 50% chance of finding a job I would find desirable.

GULC places a larger percentage of their class in big law. If you want a higher salary, go there. But you will also need big law / PI to pay off that larger debt. You will pretty much only have living expenses to pay at WUSTL, and the cost of living in St. Louis is much lower than in DC.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 pm

If you are willing to be in St. Louis long term, I think WUSTL wouldn't be a bad choice. If you are not ok with St. Louis, then GULC.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 pm

If you'd be happy with midwest mid law, WUSTL might have the edge. Otherwise, GULC.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm

disco_stu wrote:Look at the ABA employment data. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Look only at the bar required, full time, long term jobs. Remove all school funded jobs. Remove all solo jobs. From there, remove all jobs you would find undesirable.

When I removed everything I found undesirable (I only looked at bar passage required, full time jobs. removed school funded jobs, removed solo, removed 2-10, removed "unknown", state and local clerkships, academia, and "employment unknown",)I found that both schools gave me about a 50% chance of finding a job I would find desirable.

GULC places a larger percentage of their class in big law. If you want a higher salary, go there. But you will also need big law / PI to pay off that larger debt. You will pretty much only have living expenses to pay at WUSTL, and the cost of living in St. Louis is much lower than in DC.
I think this is about right. It is a coinflip, IMO. Low debt and midwestern ties make WUSTL a solid choice, as long as you are comfortable staying here. GULC gives you better biglaw chances, but the bottom half of either school is a scary place to be. If you are cool with the midwest long-term, I'd say WUSTL. Otherwise, GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EggToast

New

Post by EggToast » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 pm

thanks for the advice, everybody. i'll see if i can decide without vomiting

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

For the record, I totally misclicked the poll and voted WUSTL, which i wouldn't rec. T14, and WUSTL doesn't travel well.

So, -1 WUSTL, +1 GULC in the poll.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
disco_stu wrote:Look at the ABA employment data. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

I think this is about right. It is a coinflip, IMO. Low debt and midwestern ties make WUSTL a solid choice, as long as you are comfortable staying here. GULC gives you better biglaw chances, but the bottom half of either school 75% at WUSTL is a scary place to be. If you are cool with the midwest long-term, I'd say WUSTL. Otherwise, GULC.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:14 am

WUSTL barely places its class into biglaw, so if that is your focus, go to GULC. Otherwise, go to whichever is cheaper.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”