WUSTL 96k v. Fordham 30k (want to work in NY) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
igel

New

WUSTL 96k v. Fordham 30k (want to work in NY)

Post by igel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 pm

just got in at WUSTL, was pretty set on Fordham before as I really want to work in New York
but 96k is a lot more than 30k (in total)
my parents are paying so I don't have to worry about loans but still..........

any advices? Thanks!

ahnhub

Silver

Re: WUSTL 96k v. Fordham 30k (want to work in NY)

Post by ahnhub » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 pm

I would vote WUSTL, unless you're absolutely dead-set on NY. Where are you from?

igel

New

Post by igel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 am

I am an international student so I don't really have any ties here in the states.....
not completely set on NY but would prefer a big city either on the east or west coast
wustl is a really good school, I just wish it has a better location, but oh well you can't have everything I guess...........

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 am

WUSTL is not good for the NYC market. Do not go if you're deadset on NYC.

Fordham is much better for NYC, but with only 30k it's expensive as fuck. If you're ok with your parents paying over 200k for an ok law degree, then go to Fordham.

Both schools are very regional. They get their graduates jobs in the area that the school is located in. WUSTL can get you St. Louis or another midwestern city. Don't bank on Chicago. Probably not happening.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 am

Can you negotiate with Fordham? WUSTL's NY placement is not optimal but a $60K+ difference is nothing to laugh at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:02 am

igel wrote: my parents are paying so I don't have to worry about loans but still..........
You say this so nonchalantly; like Joe Cool at the water fountain.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Would you need an employer to sponsor your work visa?

igel

New

Post by igel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 am

ahnhub wrote:Would you need an employer to sponsor your work visa?
Yes I'll need that, which is why I'm kind of forced into Biglaw, don't know if smaller companies would do that, it seems to be a pretty time and money consuming process.......

Negotiating with Fordham now, hopefully they'll give me some more
96k just made it too hard to say no to wustl

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 am

Although I don't come from a highly affluent background, I really don't think 60k is much of a big deal if you think about it long-term wise. You mentioned that you want to work in NY. Based on that, I have a feeling that you want biglaw. If that's the case, 60k difference shouldn't play such a deciding factor. With that being said, it's probably not a bad idea to negotiate with fordham fo mo money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

igel wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Would you need an employer to sponsor your work visa?
Yes I'll need that, which is why I'm kind of forced into Biglaw, don't know if smaller companies would do that, it seems to be a pretty time and money consuming process.......

Negotiating with Fordham now, hopefully they'll give me some more
96k just made it too hard to say no to wustl
What is your home country? Honestly, as an international student myself, going biglaw or bust is dangerous. You're right about smaller companies not sponsoring H1Bs and PI is pretty much out as no public defenders is going to pay for that. I just got my H1b packet from my law firm and not even counting the money they paid the immigration attorneys, they threw down a hefty chunk of change to get it for me. I guess I would advise Fordham but even more I would advise considering whether or not an LSAT retake might get you into a higher ranked school, especially if money is not an issue.

Also, if you dont get big law you're going to have to go back to your home country I assume? Probably an idea to go to a school that people there have heard of/know as being good, not necessarily for law but just generally...

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm

I think you need to seriously reconsider these options. In this environment I would advise those who are truly Biglaw-or-bust, as your visa status seems to make you, to not go anywhere (except I don't know, Yale and Stanford?)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm

ahnhub wrote:I think you need to seriously reconsider these options. In this environmentI would advise those who are truly Biglaw-or-bust because I want to discourage the competition, as your visa status seems to make you, to not go anywhere (except I don't know, Yale and Stanford?)

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Although I don't come from a highly affluent background, I really don't think 60k is much of a big deal if you think about it long-term wise. You mentioned that you want to work in NY. Based on that, I have a feeling that you want biglaw. If that's the case, 60k difference shouldn't play such a deciding factor. With that being said, it's probably not a bad idea to negotiate with fordham fo mo money.
Lmao you say this as if wustl/fordham guarantees NYC biglaw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:15 am

dingbat wrote:
ahnhub wrote:I think you need to seriously reconsider these options. In this environmentI would advise those who are truly Biglaw-or-bust because I want to discourage the competition, as your visa status seems to make you, to not go anywhere (except I don't know, Yale and Stanford?)
Yeah, my master plan is to make it so Cravath has to take me because I scared 40,000 other people away from law school. You figured me out.

OP, optimistically WUSTL gives you maybe a 15% shot at NYC Biglaw and Fordham gives you a 35% shot? What's your plan if you don't get it?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am

WUSTL gives you around a 2% chance at NYC biglaw. Don't think the biglaw stats for WUSTL are representative of your chances at NYC; WUSTL's biglaw stats, which are very low relative to its ranking, reflect positions in sub-market 200-500 attorney firms in the midwest. Relatively few, if any, WUSTL 2Ls get summer associate positions at v50 firms in NYC (or the northeast generally).

It places well in St. Louis, just not in the northeast.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 am

The only non-T14s you should look at if you want NYC biglaw are BC, BU and Fordham.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”