NYU vs GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
commerceclause

New

NYU vs GULC

Post by commerceclause » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 am

Apologies if this already exists.

I won't go on too long - there are endless comparisons/contrasts to make. Long story short is that I am very, very interested in public policy, government and politics. GULC seems like a natural fit in that regard, both for the academic experience and the people I'll meet. However, if I do get into "politics" (whatever that means, haha), I would love to do it in NYC, particularly if I ever were to run for office. In that sense, NYU and the opportunity to build a deeper NYC network (where I have lived for several years now) is appealing.

NYU might also be better if I want to compete for clerkships.

Any thoughts?

KevinP

Silver

Re: NYU vs GULC

Post by KevinP » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am

If equal cost, go with NYU. Also, not to be harsh, but you almost certainly won't get a job in "public policy, government and politics" directly out of law school. You may get a clerkship (federal), but that is also unlikely because it's very, very competitive. You'll want to go to the school that gives you the best chance at legal employment, and NYU is TCR here.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 am

KevinP wrote:If equal cost, go with NYU. Also, not to be harsh, but you almost certainly won't get a job in "public policy, government and politics" directly out of law school. You may get a clerkship (federal), but that is also unlikely because it's very, very competitive. You'll want to go to the school that gives you the best chance at legal employment, and NYU is TCR here.

Yep, at equal cost NYU is credited: overall better chances of getting a good job, and from what I Understand NYU has some pretty good public interest/policy placement options. If GULC throws you some money at you it could make up diff, or likewise if you are set on DC then I'm not sure NYU has such an edge.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 am

Even with a significant scholarship, NYU is TCR. GULC is just too big for its own good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”