/HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abc12345675

Bronze

Re: /HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP

Post by abc12345675 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am

Paul Campos wrote:I was talking this morning to somebody whose GPA is less than a tenth of a point higher than yours and whose best LSAT score is 165 (very achievable for somebody who semi-winged a 154).

This person just got into Chicago. (Not a URM btw).
OP. Listen to this man.

Unless you went to clown college or majored if German Polka History, you have smarts. You don't get a 3.8 without being bright. There's no way you should be a 154.

daffy7856

New

Post by daffy7856 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:35 am

Ok fuck it I'm convinced. Taking a year off to retake lsat.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:36 am

daffy7856 wrote:Ok fuck it I'm convinced. Taking a year off to retake lsat.
good decision, I'm glad that the TLS community did you some good

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:36 am

Good luck, feel free to PM with questions.

This place is full of people who act like dildos but in reality are very helpful once you get past the snark.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

TLS saves another one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 am

Good for you OP. You have got a solid gpa. You can really help yourself out. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. You'll get snark, but in general it's really solid snark mixed with really good advice.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 am

Great to hear it. Best of luck to you!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Good luck, feel free to PM with questions.

This place is full of people who act like dildos but in reality are very helpful once you get past the snark.
ROFLMAO, yupp, took me a month or so to get over the DB part of it but T is right on here.....

And to the OP, GOOD and enjoy Penn in the fall of 13......

UltraNonTraditional

New

Post by UltraNonTraditional » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Nova wrote:I would caution everyone about assuming OP is a troll/flame. Maybe they are, and if so, fuck them. But there is a chance they are not. Hundreds of people matriculate to these schools every year.

I just wanted to agree with you on this. I have to say that before finding this site, I had no idea about a lot of things. I'm sure you all would've thought I was a flame or an idiot if I had started posting BEFORE reading scores of threads.

I'm glad I found TLS. I now have a new-found peace that I may have never known otherwise. My ex's new live-in girlfriend is a 2L and although I couldn't bring myself to admit it, I was a little jealous. I stalked her FB page the other day and found out that she attends Concord. No lie. Needless to say, I feel much better about life. :D

But yeah anyway. She brags about being a law student all the time. Clearly, she doesn't realize just how horrific her decision was... and I'm guessing her classmates don't either.

The moral of the story: don't assume that everyone who posts here walks through these doors with a knowledge of the importance of attending a T14 and how piss poor the legal market is, etc. Some people just want to be lawyers and assume that if you get a JD, you'll get a lawyer job and make $150k. End of story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Nova wrote:TLS saves another one.
Is it just me or has the TLS rescue rate been pretty good lately?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Nova wrote:TLS saves another one.
Is it just me or has the TLS rescue rate been pretty good lately?
I think having access to more accurate employment stats helps

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17 pm

daffy7856 wrote:Okay so I got accepted to Drexel Law in Philly which is an up and comer, but I also got accepted to UNLV which is currently higher ranked. UNLV hasn't mentioned any scholarship or anything, which should I go to?

My understanding is that you are instate for Nevada, right? Go to UNLV and don't pay the 50K/year to go to Drexel.

Even if you aren't instate, you'll get instate after your first year. You'll never get instate at Drexel. Also, ask the admissions office for a scholarship to upset your first year of out of state tuition.

Housing is cheap in Nevada, so give your child a nice home to play in with great neighbors. A lot of those are Mormon Christian neighborhoods where they have 20 kids your son's age.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:33 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
daffy7856 wrote:Okay so I got accepted to Drexel Law in Philly which is an up and comer, but I also got accepted to UNLV which is currently higher ranked. UNLV hasn't mentioned any scholarship or anything, which should I go to?

My understanding is that you are instate for Nevada, right? Go to UNLV and don't pay the 50K/year to go to Drexel.

Even if you aren't instate, you'll get instate after your first year. You'll never get instate at Drexel. Also, ask the admissions office for a scholarship to upset your first year of out of state tuition.

Housing is cheap in Nevada, so give your child a nice home to play in with great neighbors. A lot of those are Mormon Christian neighborhoods where they have 20 kids your son's age.
Come on dude, read the thread before posting

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

MormonChristian wrote:

20 kids and 3 wives

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 pm

mattviphky wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

20 kids and 3 wives
I love that show!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 pm

JCFindley wrote:
daffy7856 wrote:Wow I thought I was explaining myself but I guess that my question seems inauthentic might be an answer. I didn't think these schools were that bad but I guess I'm wrong and haven't really achieved anything. Thanks everyone.
Daff, unfortunately there are people that like to see how spun up they can get people by posting questions like yours... That makes it hard to recognize when the question is genuine.

I am going to assume it is and will also say it is not retarded at all but is uninformed. Hey, I was uninformed as well at one time.

Lets start with the transfer thing. You CAN improve your LSAT with proper study and you can probably improve it a lot. That means it is directly within your control. Though it may be something you don't want to do it is the easiest and surest way to get into a better school.... Transferring from Drexel will require you to be at the very top of your class and everyone else there also thinks they are a good student and will also bust their butt... There is a 90% or worse chance you will not be able to make the meaningful transfer cutoff.....

Now there is the legal hiring environment. Law is like very few other schools in that the school you choose directly effects your chance of getting a job. In general, the higher the ranking the better the chances at least with the T-14. After that you have a few schools with semi national reach but for the most part rankings outside the T-14 don't matter as much as how the school fairs in the market it feeds.... I am FAR from a rankings elitist and there are schools outside the T-100 that I would consider IF I was interested in the markets they feed. Ole Miss, USC, Maine are a few examples. What do these schools have that would make them worth attending? They dominate their home markets. While the legal market isn't all that great in South Carolina USC would be a good choice if you were dead set on working there, had ties there and could go for minimal costs.....

I don't know a thing about NV but lets look at Drexel. Drexel will really feed Philly and only Philly. That would be OK but it is WAY down the food chain for hiring in its one and only market. First you have ALL of the T-14 and Penn is right there. Then you have Temple, Pitt, Penn State and Rutgers-C all set to feed the Philly market and they are all going to put more grads in that market than Drexel. Its not that you can't succeed at Drexel but you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage from the start.

Between the two I have no idea but I wouldn't attend Drexel unless I just couldn't do any better on the LSAT and even then I would look into other careers....

JC

This is one of the more objective posts I have seen on TLS. Bravo sir.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Come on dude, read the thread before posting

sorry to throw you off like that. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm

OP: This should be your simple mental calculus. From a particular school, assume the people with the top grades enjoy the best post-graduate outcomes. This is mainly true. Go to lawschooltransparency.com . Look up the 2010 (or, in the next few days, the 2011, as they will then be available) employment statistics of the school you are considering. Look at the percentage of the school's graduates' post-graduate outcomes that is working for a firm of more than 20 lawyers. Assume that any other post-graduate outcome pays under $55,000 dollars a year and so would make the cost to attend the school unbearable. This is also mainly true. Understand that law school grades according to a strict, normally distributed curve. Take the aforementioned percentage and translate it into the top percentage of the class your grades must fall into to expect to achieve the post-graduate outcome of working for a firm of more than 20 lawyers. Unless you can clearly believe, based on your LSAT and UGPA as compared to the schools' graduates' LSAT and UGPA, that you will fall into that top percentage of grades, do not attend the school without a full scholarship. Allow yourself a margin of error equal to at least 20%. Simple as that.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
daffy7856 wrote:Wow I thought I was explaining myself but I guess that my question seems inauthentic might be an answer. I didn't think these schools were that bad but I guess I'm wrong and haven't really achieved anything. Thanks everyone.
Daff, unfortunately there are people that like to see how spun up they can get people by posting questions like yours... That makes it hard to recognize when the question is genuine.

I am going to assume it is and will also say it is not retarded at all but is uninformed. Hey, I was uninformed as well at one time.

Lets start with the transfer thing. You CAN improve your LSAT with proper study and you can probably improve it a lot. That means it is directly within your control. Though it may be something you don't want to do it is the easiest and surest way to get into a better school.... Transferring from Drexel will require you to be at the very top of your class and everyone else there also thinks they are a good student and will also bust their butt... There is a 90% or worse chance you will not be able to make the meaningful transfer cutoff.....

Now there is the legal hiring environment. Law is like very few other schools in that the school you choose directly effects your chance of getting a job. In general, the higher the ranking the better the chances at least with the T-14. After that you have a few schools with semi national reach but for the most part rankings outside the T-14 don't matter as much as how the school fairs in the market it feeds.... I am FAR from a rankings elitist and there are schools outside the T-100 that I would consider IF I was interested in the markets they feed. Ole Miss, USC, Maine are a few examples. What do these schools have that would make them worth attending? They dominate their home markets. While the legal market isn't all that great in South Carolina USC would be a good choice if you were dead set on working there, had ties there and could go for minimal costs.....

I don't know a thing about NV but lets look at Drexel. Drexel will really feed Philly and only Philly. That would be OK but it is WAY down the food chain for hiring in its one and only market. First you have ALL of the T-14 and Penn is right there. Then you have Temple, Pitt, Penn State and Rutgers-C all set to feed the Philly market and they are all going to put more grads in that market than Drexel. Its not that you can't succeed at Drexel but you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage from the start.

Between the two I have no idea but I wouldn't attend Drexel unless I just couldn't do any better on the LSAT and even then I would look into other careers....

JC

This is one of the more objective posts I have seen on TLS. Bravo sir.
Thanks. Ya know, I learned a LOT on this site and had even looked at Drexel myself at one point.... Just trying to give back.

I also knew which advice to basically ignore as it may be good general advice but may or may not have applied in my situation... (Specifically that it is pointless to apply in mid March and that softs will not get you in above your numbers....) I figured all I had to lose by ignoring those two pieces of CW was an app fee or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”