NYU or UChicago?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ruxin1

Silver

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Post by Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.
lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.
ITT: RealMadrid cements himself as the #1 Berk troll ala TaipeiMort with UChi
Please find where I've tried to indicate that Berkeley is better than Harvard. :x
It is a slippery slope you are on. Although I do agree that Berkeley has more a national reach than many if not most the other non T6's, which it doesn't seem to get credit for.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention that NYU has a diluted faculty.
Nope.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm

NYC firms have been reporting at a low rate to NLJ, and that would impact NYU a lot more the Berkeley. Also, many lower ranked schools supplement that missing data by reporting to NLJ but NYU doesn't. Finally, NLJ is only NE biased in the sense that there are more jobs there. NLJ is based purely on size. Vault, on the other hand, is very NYC centric.

You can't just look at data without critiquing the data for its flaws. Trust me, I love using hard data for analysis way more than other measures, but sometimes it just isn't sufficient and you need to start coming to terms with that.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Nope.
Oh dear God. :roll:

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Nope.
Don't worry. I followed you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 pm

at the end of the day in this argument both schools deserve better credit for their placement levels, but in no means does that mean Berkeley is at NYU level.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Nope.
It's hard to follow sarcasm when you're not following the entire course of a thread...

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.
lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.
That happened long before this thread was conceived.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 pm

UChi's made serious strides in terms of PI this past year, both as far as LRAP and as far as giving fellowships to PI minded people.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:04 pm

barneytrouble wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

That happened long before this thread was conceived.
While I've definitely trolled for Berkeley when the topic arises, as I said before I've never dreamed of pretending it was better than or equal to any of YHS. And, really, someone has to troll for Boalt because it's hated on here more than any other T14 with the possible exception of GULC. ;-)

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

dresden doll wrote:
UChi's made serious strides in terms of PI this past year, both as far as LRAP and as far as giving fellowships to PI minded people.
I am aware of this. But I have a difficult time you can change institutional support and culture by giving a few fellowships and having a good LRAP.

Not to mention that has fuckall to do with how it impacts the data from the past 5 years (which was the actual point of my comment).

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:13 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I am aware of this. But I have a difficult time you can change institutional support and culture by giving a few fellowships and having a good LRAP.

Not to mention that has fuckall to do with how it impacts the data from the past 5 years (which was the actual point of my comment).
And I don't think that data from five years ago is as relevant to OP as the current situation. Considering that the actual point of this thread is assist OP, I'd say that what is the case in 2012 is a little more worthwhile talking about than what was the case in 2008.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

And I don't think that data from five years ago is as relevant to OP as the current situation. Considering that the actual point of this thread is assist OP, I'd say that what is the case in 2012 is a little more worthwhile talking about than what was the case in 2008.
Did you follow the conversation at all? None of that was meant to be on point for OP's situation.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:52 pm

birdlaw117 wrote: Did you follow the conversation at all? None of that was meant to be on point for OP's situation.
Yeah, I did, and I find it somewhat entertaining that I somehow got to be chided for wanting to bring that pissing match back on point for OP's situation. Presumably, it began in the first place because people were trying to advise OP.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 pm

dresden doll wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: Did you follow the conversation at all? None of that was meant to be on point for OP's situation.
Yeah, I did, and I find it somewhat entertaining that I somehow got to be chided for wanting to bring that pissing match back on point for OP's situation. Presumably, it began in the first place because people were trying to advise OP.
Umm... Real Madrid made a comment regarding specific data. I gave reasons why that data isn't on point. You make random comment about how UChi is making an effort toward PI. It's not at all relevant. OP made no comment about wanting to do PI work. And yet, your point is the one that's on topic. Yeah, sure thing. :roll:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 pm

I wish uchicago and nyu would just bang already and get it over with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:14 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I wish uchicago and nyu would just bang already and get it over with.
Chicago is too aspie to understand booty calls.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 am

Chicago was pretty miserable when I visited. But hey, some people like being unhappy.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 am

Real Madrid is quickly becoming my favorite 0L troll.

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 am

why is there self-selection out of UChicago?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 am

HarlandBassett wrote:why is there self-selection out of UChicago?
Because some people don't like lay-prestige-lacking "public" schools located near poor people with nerdy undergrads.

BTW I was able to board a flight yesterday with my UChicago law ID because TSA thought it was a "government issued ID."

People have stupid misconceptions about UChicago. There are some really great reasons not to attend, but "rigor," and nerdiness, are not among them
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:22 am

HarlandBassett wrote:why is there self-selection out of UChicago?
RIGOR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”