UC Davis vs Loyola vs. Pepperdine (15k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino

New

Re: UC Davis vs Loyola vs. Pepperdine (15k)

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:Would not attend any unless it was cheap as hell. A measly 10k is pocket change when you're talking about this big of an investment.
Exactly how I feel about it. I've just completed their Need Access form to see if I'm eligible for grant money, as well. They've offered to try to find more scholarship aid within their funds if i don't qualify for a grant.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Would not attend any unless it was cheap as hell. A measly 10k is pocket change when you're talking about this big of an investment.
What do you consider "cheap as hell?"
i'm up to 24k from UC Davis.

Thoughts, anyone?
I'm hoping to renegotiate my scholarship with Pepperdine based on the above.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:

Thoughts, anyone?
Loyola is full of shit - I'd skip them completely. Granted, you said your grandparents want you staying local and at the same time they want to cover tuition..?

And you should be able to get a good amount of aid from Pepperdine with $24k from Davis...

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm

splitbrain wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:

Thoughts, anyone?
Loyola is full of shit - I'd skip them completely. Granted, you said your grandparents want you staying local and at the same time they want to cover tuition..?

And you should be able to get a good amount of aid from Pepperdine with $24k from Davis...
That's what I'm hoping to do. Hopefully, their response doesn't turn out to be as disappointing as Loyola's was.

Might I ask why you are so strongly against Loyola?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Nothing personally against them, they just seem to play their prospective students too much and they're just not performing well ITE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:10 pm

splitbrain wrote:Nothing personally against them, they just seem to play their prospective students too much and they're just not performing well ITE.
Well, they sure are playing me =/
I thought with an offer from a higher ranked school, they would come into play.

Now i'm really confused, maybe those USN&WR rankings don't really matter. Well, say maybe outside of T14 or wherever. I mention Davis/Pepperdine and Loyola just won't budge.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

update: 24k/yr from Davis
And just received an increase in my scholarship from Pepperdine this morning to 25k/yr.

It's a tough decision. I've been reviewing CA Bar Passage rates and now Davis doesn't seem that much better than Pepperdine or Loyola. Their CA Bar exam passage rates are actually lower. =/

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:51 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:update: 24k/yr from Davis
And just received an increase in my scholarship from Pepperdine this morning to 25k/yr.

It's a tough decision. I've been reviewing CA Bar Passage rates and now Davis doesn't seem that much better than Pepperdine or Loyola. Their CA Bar exam passage rates are actually lower. =/
In other words, still well over 100k for the degree? No dice.

Retake or don't go.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:update: 24k/yr from Davis

In other words, still well over 100k for the degree? No dice.

Retake or don't go.
If i go with Davis it will be 90k if I keep the scholarship (factoring in the additional housing costs).

If i stay in L.A. and commute to Pepperdine and remain in good academic standing i will be paying 60k for the three years. I also have an outside scholarship that will pay for my textbooks and some of the gas for the commute to school.

The way i see it if i can't maintain good academic standing at Pepperdine then I might as well drop out after 1l. Then I would know I shouldn't have gone to law school to begin with. Sure worst case scenario it might be 20k down the drain, but i'll be in a better position to find my true calling. Of course, i'm hoping this doesn't happen as I've taken time off undergrad and i know with certainty law school is what I want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Honestly? $60k for Pepperdine seems fine for your circumstances. It's obviously not without risks, but you seem to understand that, so I'd say go for it.

I hope you'll still keep trying to get more money, though, since they just upped you today (worst they can say is "no").

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Are you planning to live at home or something for Pepperdine? That's not a terrible deal.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are you planning to live at home or something for Pepperdine? That's not a terrible deal.
60K seems fine, yeah.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

splitbrain wrote:Honestly? $60k for Pepperdine seems fine for your circumstances. It's obviously not without risks, but you seem to understand that, so I'd say go for it.

I hope you'll still keep trying to get more money, though, since they just upped you today (worst they can say is "no").
I haven't responded to their offer yet because I've been thinking of doing just that. I just don't know how to go about negotiating more money with them. Maybe I can try to get a better offer from Davis first and then use that as leverage. I just don't know where to begin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are you planning to live at home or something for Pepperdine? That's not a terrible deal.
Yes, I'll be living at home and commuting to campus. It'll be 45 minutes to and from, but that should help keep me even more organized. I'll leave home early and stay on campus until evening when all my studying is done and I've given traffic a chance to subside.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
60K seems fine, yeah.
Yeah it is, but I'm skeptical that's right. Even if all COL is paid, tuition + interest would be 70-80k+ assuming a 25k/yr scholarship. Not sure what OPs situation is, so I'm curious. Also curious what the current debt situation from undergrad is like.

Pepperdine for cheap is alright. But it would still be 60k and three years down the drain if OP couldn't get a job, which is quite possible.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:
60K seems fine, yeah.
Yeah it is, but I'm skeptical that's right. Even if all COL is paid, tuition + interest would be 70-80k+ assuming a 25k/yr scholarship. Not sure what OPs situation is, so I'm curious. Also curious what the current debt situation from undergrad is like.

Pepperdine for cheap is alright. But it would still be 60k and three years down the drain if OP couldn't get a job, which is quite possible.
I am debt free.
Also, I won't be taking out loans.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Not a bad deal then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:
60K seems fine, yeah.

I am debt free.
Also, I won't be taking out loans.
What does loyola define as "good academic standing"

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I don't know about Loyola, but Pepperdine's Academic Policy Handbook defines "good academic standing" as maintaining a 2.0 or above.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:12 pm

I think you're making an alright decision if you can keep costs down and keep your scholarship. It is still an uphill battle, but its a lot better than what you were facing a year ago. Congrats and good luck OP.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think you're making an alright decision if you can keep costs down and keep your scholarship. It is still an uphill battle, but its a lot better than what you were facing a year ago. Congrats and good luck OP.
Thank you and thanks for all of your advice here on TLS forums. I just spoke with admissions, they say they had only 6% of the 1L class go below a 2.0 last year, so maybe it's fair to say I have a 94% chance of keeping the scholarship. Also, I won't stop looking for outside scholarships on whatever little spare time I have. My past employer has granted me one where they are covering the price of textbooks and giving me a gas allowance, renewable for the next 3 years. And yes, although still an uphill battle, attending last year would have been a more guaranteed disaster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am

--LinkRemoved--

Just remember that your scholarship at UC Davis is worth less year-by-year considering these 10 percent fee hikes every year.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 am

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I think you're making an alright decision if you can keep costs down and keep your scholarship. It is still an uphill battle, but its a lot better than what you were facing a year ago. Congrats and good luck OP.
Thank you and thanks for all of your advice here on TLS forums. I just spoke with admissions, they say they had only 6% of the 1L class go below a 2.0 last year, so maybe it's fair to say I have a 94% chance of keeping the scholarship. Also, I won't stop looking for outside scholarships on whatever little spare time I have. My past employer has granted me one where they are covering the price of textbooks and giving me a gas allowance, renewable for the next 3 years. And yes, although still an uphill battle, attending last year would have been a more guaranteed disaster.
Great! Now enjoy the rest of your summer and don't worry about LS until the first day of classes.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah, I just need to let UC Davis know once and for all that I will not be attending, before all of their emails make me change my mind.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”