Hofstra reputation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
futurejdgirl

Bronze

Re: Hofstra reputation

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 am

I was considering Hofstra when choosing law schools last semester because they were literally begging me to go; increasing my scholarships, inviting me to local alumni dinners constantly, etc.

After speaking to others and actually being in law school now, I am VERY happy with my decision not to go. One of my friends in law school actually visited Hofstra and sat in on a class. She described the students as being inattentive, chewing gum, some even talking on cell phones during the professor's lecture. Being around ambitious, nice people in law school actually makes it a lot more bearable. I wouldn't want to be around those kind of unmotivated people...My advice is, If you really want to go, go visit it and see if you fit in. It's one of those schools where visiting is probably really necessary.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 am

atcushman wrote:
Nova wrote:
atcushman wrote:How did you take the lsat for the first time in 2010 and have 30 years as a practicing attorney in 2012
:shock:

Lol

Good catch.
Its cool hofstra probably uses the same math for reporting their employment numbers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am

When someone asks me "what is Hofstra's reputation?," this is what I think of.

http://www.hofstrachronicle.com/2.1153/ ... OWmwW8zNvA

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

futurejdgirl wrote:She described the students as being inattentive, chewing gum, some even talking on cell phones during the professor's lecture.
Chewing gum??? They should be expelled.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:She described the students as being inattentive, chewing gum, some even talking on cell phones during the professor's lecture.
Chewing gum??? They should be expelled.

Lol. I think it was just a small factor that added to the overall unprofessional atmosphere in the class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am

JLR wrote:As an attorney practicing in the area for more than 30 years, I take serious issue with the above comments. Hofstra has a fine reputation. It is not as well regarded as Columbia, NYU or Fordham, but it is equally as well regarded, if not regarded better than Cardozo, Brooklyn and St. Johns. Law review students at Hofstra do quite well and those down below law review doing as well as an interview will permit them to do. As a senior partner in a large firm, I can say that going to Hofstra will not get you in the door nor will it keep you from getting in the door. Anecdotes from disenfranchised young lawyers are just that--but when you are the one doing the actual hiring at a firm--your comments should carry more weight.
I think what this guy meant was "30 years ago....Hofstra had...."
Even then he's still wrong.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:52 am

h_jane_w wrote:
JLR wrote:As an attorney practicing in the area for more than 30 years, I take serious issue with the above comments. Hofstra has a fine reputation. It is not as well regarded as Columbia, NYU or Fordham, but it is equally as well regarded, if not regarded better than Cardozo, Brooklyn and St. Johns. Law review students at Hofstra do quite well and those down below law review doing as well as an interview will permit them to do. As a senior partner in a large firm, I can say that going to Hofstra will not get you in the door nor will it keep you from getting in the door. Anecdotes from disenfranchised young lawyers are just that--but when you are the one doing the actual hiring at a firm--your comments should carry more weight.
I think what this guy meant was "30 years ago....Hofstra had...."
Even then he's still wrong.
I fixed it for you

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 am

hofstra is always at the bottom in ny for bar passage and they dont even have a night program. They took almost all of the kids in the bottom 25% of Touro's 1l class last year as transfers. Their own students were the ones upset with that.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:57 am

I wish I had something substantive to contribute, but all I can say is that this thread has delivered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:50 pm

I miss Flem posting on topic

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:38 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 am

I wonder how many people chose to not go to Hofstra because of this thread.

I'll add 2 Hofstra anecdotes of my own.

1. One of my coworkers had an NYU friend who went to Hofstra law and he told me that this kid now makes $40k a year as a lawyer in Midtown Manhattan so he must have really screwed up. What's sad is that this kid probably had an above average outcome and now lives below the povertly line after factoring in student loan payments.

2. At the June LSAT, some girl in line behind me was saying the most TTT things like "I've been getting so many e-mails from law schools. It must be because I have an MBA from [shit school] and did above average on my SAT and GMAT." and "Any ABA law school is good, right?". When she asked me if Hofstra was a good law school, I couldn't even BS this person. I told her that she should go to CUNY instead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm

jingosaur wrote:I wonder how many people chose to not go to Hofstra because of this thread.

1. One of my coworkers had an NYU friend who went to Hofstra law and he told me that this kid now makes $40k a year as a lawyer in Midtown Manhattan so he must have really screwed up. What's sad is that this kid probably had an above average outcome and now lives below the povertly line after factoring in student loan payments.

2. At the June LSAT, some girl in line behind me was saying the most TTT things like "I've been getting so many e-mails from law schools. It must be because I have an MBA from [shit school] and did above average on my SAT and GMAT." and "Any ABA law school is good, right?". When she asked me if Hofstra was a good law school, I couldn't even BS this person. I told her that she should go to CUNY instead.
Remember that the expected score of any given LSAT taker in line with you on test day will be 151. So about half of them will be even lower (demographic considerations may adjust this +/- 10%).

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I wonder how many people chose to not go to Hofstra because of this thread.

Remember that the expected score of any given LSAT taker in line with you on test day will be 151. So about half of them will be even lower (demographic considerations may adjust this +/- 10%).
This was a demographic region that probably had the median around 155, but it was at a community college so who knows. That's why I mentioned CUNY instead of saying "Hey, just get a 173 and ED UVA". $60k in loans and a $40k job is better than $200k in loans and a $40k job.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 pm

jingosaur wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

This was a demographic region that probably had the median around 155, but it was at a community college so who knows. That's why I mentioned CUNY instead of saying "Hey, just get a 173 and ED UVA". $60k in loans and a $40k job is better than $200k in loans and a $40k job.
Totally agree.

I'm just saying it's not necessarily a sampling of the most capable, ambitious future law students

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:58 am

Gosh...I think I'd rather play Russian Roulette with 3 of the 6 chambers loaded than go to Hofstra Law without a guaranteed 100% scholarship.

I really hope places like this are shut down permanently. The Federal government guaranteeing loans to places like this is a scandal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”