Southwestern SCALE Program??????? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thelogicalconstruct

New

Southwestern SCALE Program???????

Post by thelogicalconstruct » Fri May 18, 2012 2:27 pm

I am a nontraditional applicant. I've been 6 years out of school and am incredibly unhappy with my current career. I've always wanted to go to law school but never had the time or the financial security to do it. After years of paying off my college debts and creating a nice nest egg I'm ready to make the jump. I live in Los Angeles where my fiance has a wonderful career in the entertainment industry. I don't plan on being the bread winner but I will need to make at least 6 figures since the cost of living is quite high here. I would love to just get law school over with quickly since I'll be in my 30s by the time I'm done with school. How critical are those summer internships? Anyone know anyone who has gone through the SCALE system? Or a program like it? What has their experience been like?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Southwestern SCALE Program???????

Post by cinephile » Fri May 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Making six figures out of Southwestern is very unlikely. It wouldn't even be guaranteed out of USC/UCLA, but the odds would be better.
Also, your 2L summer is pretty critical.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:40 pm

If you want to get a 2-year JD and make six figures, Northwestern is the only option that gives you a shot at that goal. AFAIK, it's the only respectable school with an accelerated JD program so far.

Only about half of Southwestern grads get full-time legal jobs, and most of those are NOT paying six figures. They place about 5% in large law firms, the only jobs that are likely to pay six figures. Only 46 grads reported their salaries last year, and of those 46, the median salary was $70k. Only 7.6% of the class made more than $70k.

lawschooltransparency.com

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 18, 2012 2:41 pm

--LinkRemoved--

"47.5% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs."

It's a TTT charging T30 tttuition, 42k a year.

Only 7.6% of this school's graduates are known to make $70,000 or more.

Dont go there.

eta: stat scooped...

thelogicalconstruct

New

Post by thelogicalconstruct » Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. That is just what I needed to hear. Everything is so misleading and I am not about to get into debt and be jobless. Doable in the early 20s not as fun in your 30s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 pm

thelogicalconstruct wrote:Thanks for the advice. That is just what I needed to hear. Everything is so misleading and I am not about to get into debt and be jobless. Doable in the early 20s not as fun in your 30s.
Glad to see that you're receptive to the facts, disappointing as they may be. It's a lot better to be disappointed now than to suffer the kind of disappointment that accompanies massive debt and atrocious job prospects.

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 am

JasonR wrote:
thelogicalconstruct wrote:Thanks for the advice. That is just what I needed to hear. Everything is so misleading and I am not about to get into debt and be jobless. Doable in the early 20s not as fun in your 30s.
Glad to see that you're receptive to the facts, disappointing as they may be. It's a lot better to be disappointed now than to suffer the kind of disappointment that accompanies massive debt and atrocious job prospects.

Winner! You may just make it after all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”