UC Hastings w/ 75k a year scholarship - Worth it??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ashburgh

New

UC Hastings w/ 75k a year scholarship - Worth it???

Post by ashburgh » Wed May 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello all,

I am currently debating attending Hastings in the fall. At the moment, I have a 75k a year scholarship; which would leave me about 65k in debt at the end of my 3 years (this does not include living expenses. I might be able to live at home while I attend school, so I am factoring that in at the moment.)

Keep in mind this scholarship is also not dependent on how well I do; I just have to be a student in good standing to maintain it.

Is it worth it to attend Hastings with this deal? At this point, It's pretty much Hastings or nothing.

I also have a 96k Scholarship @ Loyola waiting for me; but I need to be in the top 40% of my class to keep it. From what I hear, I will most likely lose that scholarship after my first year.

Would very much appreciate your guys' input on this.

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings w/ 75k a year scholarship - Worth it???

Post by onedavetoomany » Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm

ashburgh wrote:Hello all,

I am currently debating attending Hastings in the fall. At the moment, I have a 75k a year scholarship; which would leave me about 65k in debt at the end of my 3 years (this does not include living expenses. I might be able to live at home while I attend school, so I am factoring that in at the moment.)

Keep in mind this scholarship is also not dependent on how well I do; I just have to be a student in good standing to maintain it.

Is it worth it to attend Hastings with this deal? At this point, It's pretty much Hastings or nothing.

I also have a 96k Scholarship @ Loyola waiting for me; but I need to be in the top 40% of my class to keep it. From what I hear, I will most likely lose that scholarship after my first year.

Do you mean $25k/year and $75k total?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

ashburgh wrote:Hello all,

I think you messed up somewhere, otherwise you are saying that the tuition and fees alone run about 290K for the 3 years.......?

If it is 25k a year, which I think is what you meant, this is a MUCH better deal than Loyola. Please dont go to Loyola especially with stips!!!

ashburgh

New

Re: UC Hastings w/ 75k TOTAL scholarship - Worth it???

Post by ashburgh » Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Yes, you both are totally right - its 75k over 3 years (25k a year.) Sorry for the mistake!

OK, I was leaning towards Hastings, but i just thought I would ask.

I am also just wondering about whether it is worth going to Hastings at all with this scholarship. Guess reading all of these posts about employment statistics & debt have just gotten me a little down on Law school... Ahh, decisions decisions.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Hastings will still cost 130-160k COA. You have to factor in large increases in tuition every year (the scholarship loses value every year), lack of subsidized loans and SF's massive cost of living.

Both options are bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChardPennington

Silver

Post by ChardPennington » Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Hasting JD like clunker car, take Obama American money and run with $4,500 voucher away for not dance in stinking stool of sub-par degreeings.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 pm

:shock: :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”