Some help getting started... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shoeshine

Silver

Re: Some help getting started...

Post by shoeshine » Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 am

I hope you do get your GPA up and kill the LSAT.

Honestly, an IP focus is the easiest way to be Big Law secure (That is a 160K starting salary at a top firm with pretty good exit options).

This why TLS exists to help people like you that have a lot of misconceptions about the law school application process. Almost two years ago I found this site and it stopped me from making some very dumb choices. The people here helped me get a partial scholarship at a top law school.

It feels good to pass on the knowledge to the next generation of applicants.

GMChappe

New

Post by GMChappe » Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks, dude. I hope I do too. I've met a lot of people during my undergrad stay here that have some ridiculously patentable ideas/products/research. I'm excited to play out the next 12-18 months of my life!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 am

GMChappe wrote:Prefacing everything with "being blunt" makes it less blunt. It's a full-time job with legitimate biotech experience attached to it. The 2.8 is a result of unforeseen circumstances throughout my undergraduate career - something I could definitely explain given a personal statement or interview opportunity. Yes, I understand that the number's too low for most departments to even give me that chance. It's just a shame I have to live with a few mistakes during undergrad for the rest of my life.

In terms of thinking to highly of chemistry and Purdue's program, maybe I am and maybe I'm not. I'm still saying I could have pulled a 3.6 in communications if someone told me the number was all that mattered when I started college. I can write a paper way better than I can transcribe Engrish into meaningful notes for quantum physics exams. Once I realized who I was working with at Purdue, I decided the best way to use my time was to build a rapport with the amazing department and actually understand what was going on in the labs - as opposed to locking myself away and studying for exams for days on end.

That said, I will own the LSAT, and I will get into a decent law school. All I need is a chance.
Yeah it sucks. Everyone knows the system is really screwed up and leaves behind a lot of good candidates who just don't do their research. That said, if you can get into an elite law school, your chances of getting a better job increase considerably over your classmates without a STEM background. The employment market recognizes how rare you are. But this advantage is wiped out if you can't get into a good law school in the first place.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 am

Good luck! As others said, get your GPA up as high as possible, and then study your ass off for the LSAT. You can still get some pretty solid schools if you have a 170+ LSAT and a GPA just south of 3.0.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”