Columbia vs. Northwestern vs. UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia 20K total vs. Northwestern full ride vs. UCLA full ride

Columbia
15%
Northwestern
80%
UCLA
5%

Total votes: 136

shumpshump

Gold

Re: Columbia vs. Northwestern vs. UCLA

Post by shumpshump » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm

rayiner wrote: .
That's not even accounting for cost of living. Just taxes. Think about it--you finished top of your class at Columbia, got into WLRK, are billing 3,000 hours a year, and the $1,100 a month extra in your paycheck is immediately eaten up by rent at a place half as nice as what the K&E bro is living in.

And the comparison with CSM is just sad. $1,500 a month means paying off your loans 50% faster.
Ray, no one is arguing with you about COL. I don't know why you're throwing it down everyone's throats.

Again, if you don't have connections outside of NY or to any big city (but want to be in a big city), are risk-averse so you want to be in a place with a lot of job opportunities, or want to work at the top of your profession in certain legal areas (financial especially), NY is the best option. Yea, you make less $. Who cares? People have other priorities.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Can I come play ITT with my anti-K&E trolling? Sure they pay dolla-dolla bills, but they're one of the worst firms for QOL out there. What are you going to do with your gorgeous apartment if you're never in it? Plus K&E Chi has a history of no-offering.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 pm

keg411 wrote:Can I come play ITT with my anti-K&E trolling? Sure they pay dolla-dolla bills, but they're one of the worst firms for QOL out there. What are you going to do with your gorgeous apartment if you're never in it? Plus K&E Chi has a history of no-offering.
I'm comparing it to WLRK and CSM.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

shumpshump wrote:
rayiner wrote: .
That's not even accounting for cost of living. Just taxes. Think about it--you finished top of your class at Columbia, got into WLRK, are billing 3,000 hours a year, and the $1,100 a month extra in your paycheck is immediately eaten up by rent at a place half as nice as what the K&E bro is living in.

And the comparison with CSM is just sad. $1,500 a month means paying off your loans 50% faster.
Ray, no one is arguing with you about COL. I don't know why you're throwing it down everyone's throats.
I'm simply trying to put into perspective what a huge pay cut you take by choosing NYC if you have other options and aren't married to finance work. I mean, the reason people fawn over WLRK is the money, right. Yet when you realize you're basically making the same at WLRK as you would at K&E Chicago, that puts into perspective just how much NYC costs. Some people might choose to work in NYC regardless, and that's fine, but the comparison really helped me put into perspective what the cost differential really is.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
keg411 wrote:Can I come play ITT with my anti-K&E trolling? Sure they pay dolla-dolla bills, but they're one of the worst firms for QOL out there. What are you going to do with your gorgeous apartment if you're never in it? Plus K&E Chi has a history of no-offering.
I'm comparing it to WLRK and CSM.
Fair :).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”