Michigan ($) v. NYU (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan($) v. NYU (sticker)

Michigan ($)
15%
NYU (sticker)
85%

Total votes: 46

New

Michigan ($) v. NYU (sticker)

Post by 19871987 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

I was just accepted to NYU off the waitlist and I'm trying to solicit some input. I live in NY already and love it here, so the idea of going to NYU just feels better on some level. However, Michigan gave me $10k year, plus the cost of living is much lower in Ann Arbor, so I'm figuring I'll have around an additional $60k of debt at the end of the 3 years if I choose NYU. I did really like Michigan when I visited (happy law students? madness!). As for me, I'm thinking probably biglaw to start (to pay off some debt) and then hopefully PI/government work in the long term. Will likely want to work in NY. Is NYU worth the extra money? Do you think people are actually happy there the way they seem to be at Michigan? Any advice would be much appreciated, my friends are all biased because they all live in NY.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Michigan ($) v. NYU (sticker)

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Of course, NYU is worth the extra $30,000-$60,000 over three years. Ask Michigan for more money before deciding.

Cartman

Bronze

Post by Cartman » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Sounds like NYU is what you really want. Hell, it's smack dab in the middle of the market you want to work in. You can't get a whole lot better than that. Plus, $10k isn't really sizable in the long run...even if you factor in a bit more for CoL. You already live in NY, I'm sure you know what to expect on that front. Congrats at getting in off the WL! Take the acceptance and run with it!

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri May 11, 2012 6:35 pm

NYU worth the better chance at Big Law.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Maybe I'm just blind to how much cheaper non-NYC life is, but I really kinda doubt that cost of living in Michigan is going to be $10,000 a year less than NYU. Over a nine-month school year that works out to a more than $1,100 per month difference. Don't forget you will in all likelihood be spending both 1L and 2L summer interning in a major city, so your cost of living will be higher for 10 weeks out of the year, plus you may be stuck with a lease on an apartment in Ann Arbor that you have trouble subletting over the break, plus NYU has guaranteed summer funding for public interest jobs (which you'll probably do 1L year), and, from what I can gather, Michigan does not.

Anyway, Michigan will be cheaper but I doubt it will be $60k cheaper.

I would go to NYU if you want to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Cartman wrote:Sounds like NYU is what you really want. Hell, it's smack dab in the middle of the market you want to work in. You can't get a whole lot better than that. Plus, $10k isn't really sizable in the long run...even if you factor in a bit more for CoL. You already live in NY, I'm sure you know what to expect on that front. Congrats at getting in off the WL! Take the acceptance and run with it!
Regardless of the merits of this advice, LOL @ it coming from someone on the UMich waitlist. Your situation makes me wonder if it also figures into your calculation of recommending someone take GeorgeTTTown with $60K over Columbia (open a space at Columbia for someone in at NYU; open up a space at NYU for someone in at Michigan).

Can't say I really blame you for trying to have some kind of influence, however.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 pm

I think this decision will be very personal. It seems to make much more sense for you to go to NYU (congrats, btw). However, if you really like Michigan and feel comfortable with your odds of getting back to NYC from there, then I don't think going to Michigan is the worse decision you can make. But, common sense says NYU.

Full disclosure: I'm deposited at Michigan and on the WL at NYU

chemE_envlaw

New

Post by chemE_envlaw » Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 pm

19871987 wrote:I was just accepted to NYU off the waitlist and I'm trying to solicit some input. I live in NY already and love it here, so the idea of going to NYU just feels better on some level. However, Michigan gave me $10k year, plus the cost of living is much lower in Ann Arbor, so I'm figuring I'll have around an additional $60k of debt at the end of the 3 years if I choose NYU. I did really like Michigan when I visited (happy law students? madness!). As for me, I'm thinking probably biglaw to start (to pay off some debt) and then hopefully PI/government work in the long term. Will likely want to work in NY. Is NYU worth the extra money? Do you think people are actually happy there the way they seem to be at Michigan? Any advice would be much appreciated, my friends are all biased because they all live in NY.

Are you my twin? I just made almost this exact same poll (before I saw this one, sorry, I probably should have looked). I was accepted off the WL at NYU today (via ASW, is that ever wrong?), with a $15k/yr offer from Michigan. I was thinking a similar career track - I'd like to work in Environmental Law, but I realize I'll have hefty loans to deal with in the beginning. For some reason Michigan is just very attractive to me, though I've never visited. I'm from Minneapolis though, and was looking for a bigger change of pace. And I mean c'mon, it's NYU.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 am

chemE_envlaw wrote:
19871987 wrote:I was just accepted to NYU off the waitlist and I'm trying to solicit some input. I live in NY already and love it here, so the idea of going to NYU just feels better on some level. However, Michigan gave me $10k year, plus the cost of living is much lower in Ann Arbor, so I'm figuring I'll have around an additional $60k of debt at the end of the 3 years if I choose NYU. I did really like Michigan when I visited (happy law students? madness!). As for me, I'm thinking probably biglaw to start (to pay off some debt) and then hopefully PI/government work in the long term. Will likely want to work in NY. Is NYU worth the extra money? Do you think people are actually happy there the way they seem to be at Michigan? Any advice would be much appreciated, my friends are all biased because they all live in NY.

Are you my twin? I just made almost this exact same poll (before I saw this one, sorry, I probably should have looked). I was accepted off the WL at NYU today (via ASW, is that ever wrong?), with a $15k/yr offer from Michigan. I was thinking a similar career track - I'd like to work in Environmental Law, but I realize I'll have hefty loans to deal with in the beginning. For some reason Michigan is just very attractive to me, though I've never visited. I'm from Minneapolis though, and was looking for a bigger change of pace. And I mean c'mon, it's NYU.
If you truly are interested in Environmental Law, it should be NYU no question. First of all, you will take admin as a 1L, which is basically a required class for those who want to do environmental stuff. Second we have some of the best professors in environmental law in the country. We even have essentially an environmental law clinic (our Admin clinic usually deals with environmental policy issues). Also, for most people in general NYU is TCR, regardless of their interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyworld22

New

Post by crazyworld22 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:54 am

I am in same situation 10k at Mich, just got in off the NYU waitlist, and want to work in NY firm after graduation. I love NY but I did feel something special about Michigan when I visited. I too felt like the students were happy there and from what I've heard NYU doesn't have as much of a community a feel. Law school is stressful enough as is I would rather be with nice people. However I don't want to make the wrong choice if NYU offers significantly better job prospects. Help Please!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 am

I'd say NYU offers significantly better job prospects for NY firms. Just the fact that you can get more exposure to firms and networking opportunities is probably worth it alone, subject to the requisite legwork, of course.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 am

N
Y
U

*edit: Obviously biased, but seriously, unless Mich gives you something more substantial than your current scholly, it sounds like you really want NYU. Don't think a small scholly at Mich overrides what seems to be a pretty clear preference for NYC and generally better career prospects in general at NYU.

New

Post by 19871987 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks everyone, this was all quite helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”