Suffolk vs. New England School of Law $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PishPosh

New

Suffolk vs. New England School of Law $$

Post by PishPosh » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

So..I got 15k at NESL vs. sticker at Suffolk. (I am going to email Suffolk and try to negotiate a scholly with the NESL money)

Does NESL really have that bad of reputation? I work in the field now.
I'm not looking to leave Boston or do big law..I will probably stay in the same company or field. (health care/non profit)

I need a part-time program in Boston because I'm not leaving my job. So NESL and Suffolk are my 2 options. And I'm not retaking the LSAT! Thoughts? Thank you!!

flem

Diamond

Re: Suffolk vs. New England School of Law $$

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am

PishPosh wrote: I'm not looking to leave Boston or do big law..I will probably stay in the same company or field. (health care/non profit)

I need a part-time program in Boston because I'm not leaving my job. So NESL and Suffolk are my 2 options. And I'm not retaking the LSAT! Thoughts? Thank you!!
Do you have a job lined up? If so, is your company LRAP eligible? You're looking at pretty large debt no matter what, even going part time.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 am

PishPosh wrote: Does NESL really have that bad of reputation?
NESL is definitely far down the pecking order in Boston. Neither Suffolk nor NESL has a great reputation, but a lot of older people have some regard for Suffolk. While it is positive you are retaining your job, I would try to minimize the price of these options. Normally I would say they're only worth it if they're free.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

NESL is a non-issue, do not go.

As for Suffolk, I know it used to be a school for blue-collar kids from the Greater Boston area who wanted to get a decent, cheap education while working. The older generation still believes that. But now it's an overpriced TTT just like the rest of them. I'm not sure how a JD would benefit you in your current job, but if you are going to do it, retake and reapply until you can get enough scholarship money so you don't hamstring your lifestyle for the next 10 or 20 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”