Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tier Two Blues

CWRU w/ 15k
33%
Chicago-Kent w/11k
28%
Wait out WL at UIUC until the last moment
39%

Total votes: 18

ashen

Bronze

Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western

Post by ashen » Wed May 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Already committed to retaking and aiming for 170+ in October but for the sake of recent developments in my cycle, I thought I'd make this thread for a better idea of how my current offers look.
This said, there is no point in "retake" replies as I will be retaking regardless.

In at Chicago-Kent with 11.5k/yr guaranteed and Case Western with a 15k/yr (some sort of national security law scholarship? ) as long as I remain in good academic standing.
Both options will let me stay under 80k total debt.

I realize that the scholly at CWRU probably has no bearing on my future career as said International Law careers are pretty much only available to the top students at T14 schools but the money is kind of significant and Chicago-Kent isn't doing great in an already tough market.
My parents, who, despite having agreed to me retaking in October, are still insisting I start law school this Fall. I will be eating a deposit at one of the two schools.
Which one should I choose?

Paul Campos

Silver

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western

Post by Paul Campos » Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 pm

You're planning to retake the LSAT in the middle of your first semester of law school?

Or are you planning to defer your admission at one of these schools?

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm

My parents are forcing me to deposit but I won't be attending.
Kind of a complicated situation.

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Wed May 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I voted for Kent. I visited there and rather liked it, for the little that's worth. Location couldn't be better, right in the Chicago loop. I'm from Chicago, so obviously biased, but it seems a much better place to be for three years and/or to practice than Cleveland. Employment stats seem slightly better as well (half the unemployed but mostly from "bus and ind" and very small firms). They also seem to have some very successful programs going, for example in trial advocacy and IP. I don't know what your goals are, but that might help if you're into those things.

Are you from Ohio? CWU might make more sense then. Where do you want to practice? My impression is that Kent is very Chicago-centric and Case is a little more whole-midwest.

I'm with the above poster though in not understanding the October retake. Why not June and try and use that to get UIUC this cycle? I don't think a new LSAT score is helpful at all for transfer apps, 1st year grades are certainly much more important.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Why are your parents forcing you? You said you'd still have debt. Are they helping out with some but not all?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 pm

LeninLunchbox wrote:I voted for Kent. I visited there and rather liked it, for the little that's worth. Location couldn't be better, right in the Chicago loop. I'm from Chicago, so obviously biased, but it seems a much better place to be for three years and/or to practice than Cleveland. Employment stats seem slightly better as well (half the unemployed but mostly from "bus and ind" and very small firms). They also seem to have some very successful programs going, for example in trial advocacy and IP. I don't know what your goals are, but that might help if you're into those things.

Are you from Ohio? CWU might make more sense then. Where do you want to practice? My impression is that Kent is very Chicago-centric and Case is a little more whole-midwest.

I'm with the above poster though in not understanding the October retake. Why not June and try and use that to get UIUC this cycle? I don't think a new LSAT score is helpful at all for transfer apps, 1st year grades are certainly much more important.
To clarify:
I took the LSAT cold in December and scored a 159. Dumb and uninformed, I went ahead and applied to law school anyway.

Regarding the October retake: If I can consistently break into the 170s before August rolls around (already prepping in the high 160s, which is already 7-9 points higher than my previous score), I'm eating the deposit and foregoing law school for a year to reapply.

The June LSAT is a no-go for me because I'm really busy this month and don't have enough time to study.

I'm from Chicago as well, which is why I'm seriously considering Chicago-Kent even though the scholly isn't that great.

As to my parents "forcing" me to deposit... in short: it took me a while to convince them that a retake would be in my best interests and they still are pushing for me to give up on a retake and begin law school as soon as possible.

I created this poll to help me make a decision in the event that I suddenly don't feel confident that I can score higher and decide to attend in the Fall.

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 pm

K well if you're from Chicago I think you'd be crazy to deposit all the way over in Cleveland for, at best, the same quality school. The little extra $ is not going to even close to cover what you could save living at home if you were planning on that at Kent. The expense and effort of moving should not be overlooked either. If you were planning on working in the chi after, it'd definitely be more difficult moving back from CWRU.

I'm not trying to be dense, but this deposit situation is a little beyond me. I mean you convinced your parents you should retake and reapply next year. That is not go to law school this year. But your parents want you to deposit anyway? Are they thinking you'll come around eventually? Are you thinking if you aren't PTing high enough you'll just go to this school?

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Last edited by donniedarko on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Thu May 10, 2012 4:38 am

I can always count on TLS to keep my head straight!
Back to serious prep. It's funny how a WL admit or a scholarship increase can throw someone off track and tempt a sucker away from retaking.
Thinking of putting up a poster on my wall with with just the word "Retake" and "180" (180 may be too ambitious. Maybe 175 would have a more positive effect)...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Rover

New

Post by The Rover » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 am

....are your parents paying for your law school? If not, how can they "force you" to do anything?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 am

donniedarko wrote:To OP: I didn't read all the back and fourth in this thread but, I'd strongly advise you rethink and retake. The tipy top kiddoes at Kent are not doing so hot in this legal market. Retake if you can...
This. You took the LSAT cold with no prep and probably not even knowing what was on it. It would be retarded and/or extremely lazy to pin your future on that score.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 pm

ashen wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:I voted for Kent. I visited there and rather liked it, for the little that's worth. Location couldn't be better, right in the Chicago loop. I'm from Chicago, so obviously biased, but it seems a much better place to be for three years and/or to practice than Cleveland. Employment stats seem slightly better as well (half the unemployed but mostly from "bus and ind" and very small firms). They also seem to have some very successful programs going, for example in trial advocacy and IP. I don't know what your goals are, but that might help if you're into those things.

To clarify:
I took the LSAT cold in December and scored a 159. Dumb and uninformed, I went ahead and applied to law school anyway.

Regarding the October retake: If I can consistently break into the 170s before August rolls around (already prepping in the high 160s, which is already 7-9 points higher than my previous score), I'm eating the deposit and foregoing law school for a year to reapply.

The June LSAT is a no-go for me because I'm really busy this month and don't have enough time to study.

I'm from Chicago as well, which is why I'm seriously considering Chicago-Kent even though the scholly isn't that great.

As to my parents "forcing" me to deposit... in short: it took me a while to convince them that a retake would be in my best interests and they still are pushing for me to give up on a retake and begin law school as soon as possible.

I created this poll to help me make a decision in the event that I suddenly don't feel confident that I can score higher and decide to attend in the Fall.
I never really understood this- are they paying for it and that money won't be available after this year? Will they kick you out if you take the year and work at Target?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 am

You know my opinion regarding Kent and Case, but to be fair, if you can retake and score 170+, wouldn't that be a better option even "IF" you get in UIUC off waitlist? With a 170, that should get you close to, if not a full ride from UIUC; you might even get Northwestern or Chicago with a 170+, when you compare those options against getting off UIUC waitlist with no scholarship, I think the answer is quite clear.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 am

I always see people's parents push them to just start law school, because "the school doesn't matter" and "it's about who you know". These people didn't know anyone, but felt they had the personality to meet people. Their personalities were mostly 5 out of 10. Oddly, it's the kids who want to push for a 170 who normally have more likable personalities probably because they're less cocky and insecure (a common oxymoron), but just generally confident and practical.

I've had so many students start LSAT prep with a 140 one month before their test, score a 150, get into the local TTT and ignore my advise to retake, refuse to visit law school transparency, etc.

People forget it is our parents who ruined our economy. Our parents mean well, but when it comes to money, most of them are pardon my language, fucking idiots.

However, I should mention that I haven't been tutoring long enough to know if they are screwed financially.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”