Power of Penn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Gold

Re: Power of Penn

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 pm

chimp wrote:
rayiner wrote:get plastered, point yourself in a random direction, walk a mile, and still be safe.
This isn't advisable in any major city bro. C'mon now.
I did this in South Philly and survived. Don't remember how I did it, though. Wouldn't recommend it.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:10 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
chimp wrote:
Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote: U MAD that I can get PLASTERED and walk a mile in any direction while singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" in NYC, while you cower under your bed in fear of crackheads over in DC/Philly, little breh?
Yea that's what I said bruh.
This exchange is really fucking dumb.
Agreed. I'm done with it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
chimp wrote:
rayiner wrote:get plastered, point yourself in a random direction, walk a mile, and still be safe.
I did this in South Philly and survived. Don't remember how I did it, though. Wouldn't recommend it.
The night we missed the last El train after bowling league, we had to walk from Millbourne all the way through the 60s and 50s in Far West Philly, which was an interesting experience I hope never to repeat.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm

HeavenWood wrote:The night we missed the last El train after bowling league, we had to walk from Millbourne all the way through the 60s and 50s in Far West Philly, which was an interesting experience I hope never to repeat.
Dear Lord. By "we", I hope you mean yourself and the cast of The Expendables.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 pm

chimp wrote:
If you do this from NU by far the biggest danger is that you'll fall into Lake Michigan and drown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Last edited by Nelson on Tue May 21, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 09, 2012 5:24 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
chimp wrote:
The night we missed the last El train after bowling league, we had to walk from Millbourne all the way through the 60s and 50s in Far West Philly, which was an interesting experience I hope never to repeat.
Unless you are waving your iPhone around or selling cocaine, nobody in those neighborhoods is going to give a fuck.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed May 09, 2012 5:27 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:The night we missed the last El train after bowling league, we had to walk from Millbourne all the way through the 60s and 50s in Far West Philly, which was an interesting experience I hope never to repeat.
Dear Lord. By "we", I hope you mean yourself and the cast of The Expendables.
That's the funny thing. No one gave us any shit. I don't even think we garnered anything more than a slightly prolonged stare. The only really odd thing I noticed was a shit-ton of emaciated ally cats.
Nelson wrote: Unless you are waving your iPhone around or selling cocaine, nobody in those neighborhoods is going to give a fuck.
That's true for the most part. But while the violent crime rate there is 1% at absolute worst, that's still pretty fricking high compared to the national average, and something I'd rather not voluntarily expose myself to.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Nelson wrote:Unless you are waving your iPhone around or selling cocaine, nobody in those neighborhoods is going to give a fuck.
I walk home from school at 3 am in Chicago carrying my shiny aluminum MacBook without a case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Last edited by Nelson on Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Nelson wrote:Unless you are waving your iPhone around or selling cocaine, nobody in those neighborhoods is going to give a fuck.
I walk home from school at 3 am in Chicago carrying my shiny aluminum MacBook without a case.
And you could do the same in any neighborhood where Penn students actually live. Do you carry your MacBook around the south side? You're just being obtuse.
I wouldn't do that anywhere.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Nelson wrote:
rayiner wrote:
And you could do the same in any neighborhood where Penn students actually live. Do you carry your MacBook around the south side? You're just being obtuse.
Ya... no matter what city in, I'd be more afraid of myself dropping my Macbook than of people jumping me.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Wed May 09, 2012 6:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
Street smarts. You lack them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Nelson wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Ya... no matter what city in, I'd be more afraid of myself dropping my Macbook than of people jumping me.
Agree so so much with all three of these.

willwilliams1334

New

Post by willwilliams1334 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 pm

rayiner wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote: It gives better security than its peers, why its in the CCNP bracket
I'm talking about his statement re: "encouraging during exams" not about the bracket. CCNP buys you a little security, but not "bottom falls out" security. See my "YOU'RE FUCKED" statistics: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=181723.

20% of Penn students were "YOU'RE FUCKED" in 2011 versus 25% at NU/Berkeley and 30% at Michigan.

The security is really "hope I'm not bottom quarter" versus "hope I'm not bottom third" security.

That's a significant amount of extra security. Employment is foremost in every student's minds, and Penn is one of the best in terms of just getting a job and making good money. They may not have excel at all this fluff like clerkship, academia, and PI, but they are GREAT where it counts -- Biglaw. I also suspect that Penn has one of the better alumni networks, but of course it's hard to say that with any gravitas.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Wed May 09, 2012 7:19 pm

SRSLY NOBODY HAS ANSWERED THA FACT DAT PHILLY GOT GDK

AHHH MAN.

WHAT YOU GONA REP JAY Z WHILE WALKIN TO CLASS IN MAN_HAT_AN

BRO, YOU AINT EVEN REAL. YOU AINT EVEN REAL.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 pm

admisionquestion wrote:SRSLY NOBODY HAS ANSWERED THA FACT DAT PHILLY GOT GDK

AHHH MAN.

WHAT YOU GONA REP JAY Z WHILE WALKIN TO CLASS IN MAN_HAT_AN

BRO, YOU AINT EVEN REAL. YOU AINT EVEN REAL.

Does anyone here speak Jive?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

willwilliams1334

New

Post by willwilliams1334 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/best-law ... -job-2012/ Penn number one in biglaw placement.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote: It gives better security than its peers, why its in the CCNP bracket
I'm talking about his statement re: "encouraging during exams" not about the bracket. CCNP buys you a little security, but not "bottom falls out" security. See my "YOU'RE FUCKED" statistics: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=181723.

20% of Penn students were "YOU'RE FUCKED" in 2011 versus 25% at NU/Berkeley and 30% at Michigan.

The security is really "hope I'm not bottom quarter" versus "hope I'm not bottom third" security.

That's a significant amount of extra security. Employment is foremost in every student's minds, and Penn is one of the best in terms of just getting a job and making good money. They may not have excel at all this fluff like clerkship, academia, and PI, but they are GREAT where it counts -- Biglaw. I also suspect that Penn has one of the better alumni networks, but of course it's hard to say that with any gravitas.
I shouldn't feed the troll, but seriously. Most of the people who do PI at NYU could have gotten biglaw jobs if they wanted to, they aren't bottom of the class types, they are usually above median. Also, in biglaw, NYU's network is much bigger than Penn's simply based on size alone. NYU/CLS dominate the NYC market. 80% of people who wanted a big law job from NYU got one last year, I doubt the numbers are the same at Penn. They are close and Penn is a great law school, but it's not taking NYU's place in the rankings anytime soon...There's a reason why most people choosing between Penn/NYU with equal or close to equal money take NYU. Also, no Wharton grad is going to care that you went to Penn Law, to them a law student is that nerd who hangs out in the library all night while they go out and "network."

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 pm

80% of people who wanted a big law job from NYU got one last year, I doubt the numbers are the same at Penn.
I don't. We had a fucking awesome year. Also, lol at your baseless comment that most people doing PI at NYU are above median.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Wed May 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Wharton certificate is not nonsense. Ppl need to stop the nonsense

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

willwilliams1334

New

Post by willwilliams1334 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 pm

chasgoose wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I shouldn't feed the troll, but seriously. Most of the people who do PI at NYU could have gotten biglaw jobs if they wanted to, they aren't bottom of the class types, they are usually above median. Also, in biglaw, NYU's network is much bigger than Penn's simply based on size alone. NYU/CLS dominate the NYC market. 80% of people who wanted a big law job from NYU got one last year, I doubt the numbers are the same at Penn. They are close and Penn is a great law school, but it's not taking NYU's place in the rankings anytime soon...There's a reason why most people choosing between Penn/NYU with equal or close to equal money take NYU. Also, no Wharton grad is going to care that you went to Penn Law, to them a law student is that nerd who hangs out in the library all night while they go out and "network."
Baseless rabble. Penn has the proof that it puts people in Biglaw, NYU doesn't so your USNWR rankings really dont impress anyone. Your idea that "they could have gotten it" reeks of speculation. NYU is a really fluffy school; if your into PI all that jazz, then by all means go there. Penn's network in NY easily rivals that of NYU; its name is much more respectable with regard to business, and that is a big part of the NYC culture. NYU is NOT strong in the financial/corporate stuff -- whether they self select out is irrelevant.
I will admit I lol'd at your Wharton comment, but in all seriousness, some lawyers have social skills. I would definitely find the time to go out and "network" as you so aptly put it, because Penn offers connections like this that a school like NYU doesnt -- you just have to go out and grab it. Penn has fantastic opportunities to take classes in the Wharton school as cross credits, which is another great way to network a little. I'm not saying this has an immediate tangible impact, but I think it could be a great thing if you make some friendships that, down the road, allow you to bring in some business for your firm, which is one of the main aspects of climbing the partner track.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote: Baseless rabble. Penn has the proof that it puts people in Biglaw, NYU doesn't so your USNWR rankings really dont impress anyone. Your idea that "they could have gotten it" reeks of speculation. NYU is a really fluffy school; if your into PI all that jazz, then by all means go there. Penn's network in NY easily rivals that of NYU; its name is much more respectable with regard to business, and that is a big part of the NYC culture. NYU is NOT strong in the financial/corporate stuff -- whether they self select out is irrelevant.
I will admit I lol'd at your Wharton comment, but in all seriousness, some lawyers have social skills. I would definitely find the time to go out and "network" as you so aptly put it, because Penn offers connections like this that a school like NYU doesnt -- you just have to go out and grab it. Penn has fantastic opportunities to take classes in the Wharton school as cross credits, which is another great way to network a little. I'm not saying this has an immediate tangible impact, but I think it could be a great thing if you make some friendships that, down the road, allow you to bring in some business for your firm, which is one of the main aspects of climbing the partner track.
Explain your basis for knowing anything you just said.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 09, 2012 8:36 pm

This is a flame and not even a good one.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Veyron wrote:
80% of people who wanted a big law job from NYU got one last year, I doubt the numbers are the same at Penn.
I don't. We had a fucking awesome year. Also, lol at your baseless comment that most people doing PI at NYU are above median.
I laugh a little every time I read that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”