60k UG Debt, going to UChi at sticker....how screwed? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
notcreative123

New

60k UG Debt, going to UChi at sticker....how screwed?

Post by notcreative123 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Currently stuck in a dead end job, making 40k/year in NYC. Had a mediocre GPA (3.2-3.5) from a decent private school, and lost my scholarship one year in due to personal reasons. Didn't have any chance at a scholarship anywhere else in the T14.

Do I have any chance of escaping out from this soul-crushing level of debt ever? Will work biglaw, maybe try to switch to PI or government afterwards if possible to take advantage of IBR/PSLFP. How miserable are the next 10-15 years of my life going to be?

rayiner

Platinum

Re: 60k UG Debt, going to UChi at sticker....how screwed?

Post by rayiner » Mon May 07, 2012 5:41 pm

notcreative123 wrote:Currently stuck in a dead end job, making 40k/year in NYC. Had a mediocre GPA (3.2-3.5) from a decent private school, and lost my scholarship one year in due to personal reasons. Didn't have any chance at a scholarship anywhere else in the T14.

Do I have any chance of escaping out from this soul-crushing level of debt ever? Will work biglaw, maybe try to switch to PI or government afterwards if possible to take advantage of IBR/PSLFP. How miserable are the next 10-15 years of my life going to be?
I mean, you're not screwed. You will get big law from U Chi, you'll just have a $3,500 a month loan payment for 10 years. If you gun hard in big law you can expect to make it typically at least 5 years. If you live frugally during that time you can put a pretty big dent in your loans.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon May 07, 2012 5:44 pm

notcreative123 wrote:Currently stuck in a dead end job, making 40k/year in NYC. Had a mediocre GPA (3.2-3.5) from a decent private school, and lost my scholarship one year in due to personal reasons. Didn't have any chance at a scholarship anywhere else in the T14.

Not screwed. This is what many of us are doing. Life goes on with debt as long as you have enough income (what you were planning on not having a job). You're at UChi with work experience. Not screwed. Just make sure you get big law.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm

You're about as screwed as you are if you decided not to do law school at all and just tried to pay off debt on a bachelor's degree.
How miserable are the next 10-15 years of my life going to be?
Not as miserable as you are right now. 40k in NYC sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”