Texas, USC, or Georgetown? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bstbll

New

Texas, USC, or Georgetown?

Post by Bstbll » Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi everyone,

So I'm torn. I've gotten into Texas, USC, and Georgetown off waitlists, and have to make a decision quickly. Money isn't an issue, so I'm really just deciding where I should go. I don't know if I want to do BigLaw yet, but I think I might. I do know if I were to end up being locked into a region, I'd much rather it be California than Texas or DC. On the other hand, I might be locking myself into a region by going to USC and if I went to Georgetown I'd be keeping my options open. I know I'm not really giving any helpful information, and nobody's going to be able to give me some deep insight here, but I'm really just looking at what some other people think of the situation.

FWIW, I'm on the waitlist at some other schools (UCLA, Duke, UVA, NYU, Penn), so if I got into any of them it'd all be up in the air again.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Texas, USC, or Georgetown?

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Any scholarships? Also where do you want to work and where do you have ties.

Bstbll

New

Post by Bstbll » Fri May 04, 2012 2:58 pm

I've got 34000 a year to Texas, 20000 a year to USC, and nothing from Georgetown (that I know of yet, I just heard back from them two days ago so I haven't actually gotten the letter yet, but the deadline is the 9th, so I need to make a fast decision). As I said though, money isn't really going to be much of an issue, I'm not going to have to take out loans or anything like that. I don't really have ties to any of the places (born and raised in Florida, undergrad in Chicago), the father of one of my parents' friends is this guy, but I've never actually met him. That's the closest thing to a tie to any of the areas I've got. I'm more or less open to places for where I'd live afterwards, I suppose my top three would be New York, Chicago, or one of the big cities in California, but I don't really have a strong draw to any one location.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri May 04, 2012 3:00 pm

If money is really no object, then GULC has the best job prospects for NYC biglaw of these three.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I wouldn't do sticker at GULC. UT is the best monetary option, but you don't want to be in Texas. USC with $60k is still scary because you'll still be in $100k+ debt, which would be difficult to pay back w out big law. But at least it's in Cali.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bstbll

New

Post by Bstbll » Fri May 04, 2012 3:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't do sticker at GULC. UT is the best monetary option, but you don't want to be in Texas. USC with $60k is still scary because you'll still be in $100k+ debt, which would be difficult to pay back w out big law. But at least it's in Cali.

I won't be in debt, I'm not going to have to take out loans or anything. Money isn't going to be an issue. Obviously I wouldn't turn down extra scholarship money, but it's not going to cause me financial problems to go to Georgetown at sticker.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Bstbll wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't do sticker at GULC. UT is the best monetary option, but you don't want to be in Texas. USC with $60k is still scary because you'll still be in $100k+ debt, which would be difficult to pay back w out big law. But at least it's in Cali.

I won't be in debt, I'm not going to have to take out loans or anything. Money isn't going to be an issue. Obviously I wouldn't turn down extra scholarship money, but it's not going to cause me financial problems to go to Georgetown at sticker.
Oh didn't see that.

GULC. But without prior ties to CA and Chi, you're not gonna find a school that gives you a good shot at ALL your desired markets.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 pm

depends on how little of an object money is, exactly. $100k+difference is pretty significant. That said, GULC is your best option (in a true vacuum)

If you get off the WL at any of the other T14 I would say any of those would be the right move.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Nelson wrote:If money is really no object, then GULC has the best job prospects for NYC biglaw of these three.
This. GULC gives you the most flexibility and portability with your degree.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Unless you're comfortable with Texas, don't come here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”