UMN vs. Rutgers-Newark Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ru2486

Bronze

Re: UMN vs. Rutgers-Newark

Post by ru2486 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm

keg411 wrote:OP, where are you from? If you're FROM NJ, go to Rutgers.
I'm from NJ: http://i.imgur.com/Pwnf4.jpg

If you look at my first post, the $23,000 tuition for RU-N is the in-state tuition, which after the $15,000/year scholarship comes out to about $8,000 excluding student fees. Do people think this is a good deal for RU-N?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:38 pm

ru2486 wrote:

If you look at my first post, the $23,000 tuition for RU-N is the in-state tuition, which after the $15,000/year scholarship comes out to about $8,000 excluding student fees. Do people think this is a good deal for RU-N?
I went to RU-C for a little over what you paid for 1L. Personally, I think it's a great deal for someone from NJ :D.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 07, 2012 4:16 pm

keg411 wrote:
ru2486 wrote:

I went to RU-C for a little over what you paid for 1L. Personally, I think it's a great deal for someone from NJ :D.

When did you graduate and how did you do finding work, if you don't mind saying (PM if you'd like)? R-N has always been a strong consider for me because of the in-state tuition, life-long connections here, and the large amount of $$$ I might be able to scoop up. I just hear so many mixed things about what type of job one could land. I know one person isn't indicative of the whole school, but it can't hurt to ask. I know I'd be happy working in NJ, breaking into NYC would be better, but it's gonna be tough with the limitations my GPA puts on me.
Last edited by Easy-E on Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 07, 2012 4:18 pm

ru2486 wrote:

I love that graphic. I'm in Springsteen country! "Sad black people and misguided tourists" kills me though.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 pm

emarxnj wrote:
keg411 wrote:
ru2486 wrote:

When did you graduate and how did you do finding work, if you don't mind saying (PM if you'd like)? R-N has always been a strong consider for me because of the in-state tuition, life-long connections here, and the large amount of $$$ I might be able to scoop up. I just hear so many mixed things about what type of job one could land. I know one person isn't indicative of the whole school, but it can't hurt to ask. I know I'd be happy working in NJ, breaking into NYC would be better, but it's gonna be tough with the limitations my GPA puts on me.
I just finished 2L. Finished 1L in the top 5% at Rutgers and transferred my ass to Michigan :P. (Sometimes I regret it though... I really really <3 NJ. Back here now and it's like the best thing ever).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:09 pm

@emarxnj: haha stuck in "bankers and businessmen," but see my avatar to know where my heart lies.

@keg411 yeah if you're from NJ its tough to ever really leave. awesome job on doing well at RU-C and mega-congrats on getting into michigan!!

For all those wondering what I've decided, I withdrew my application and scholarship offer from minnesota and submitted my deposit to RU-N. Still waiting on a few other waitlists, but I'll start up a new thread if anything comes through.

I'll leave with some jersey shore love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5weU2olAl-E

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 am

keg411 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
keg411 wrote:
ru2486 wrote: I'm from NJ: http://i.imgur.com/Pwnf4.jpg

I just finished 2L. Finished 1L in the top 5% at Rutgers and transferred my ass to Michigan :P. (Sometimes I regret it though... I really really <3 NJ. Back here now and it's like the best thing ever).

Yeah, it's something else in the summer. Like I said, I live down by the beach (Monmouth County), and I love it. I just hope to make enough money so I can own my own place here! Congrats on that transfer, must have been tough.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:24 am

emarxnj wrote:Yeah, it's something else in the summer. Like I said, I live down by the beach (Monmouth County), and I love it. I just hope to make enough money so I can own my own place here! Congrats on that transfer, must have been tough.
Ah, so jealous. I'm up in North Jersey (and I'll be in NYC this summer), but I'll probably go down a bunch of times. There is still *nothing* like the shore in the summer :).

And yeah, the transfer wasn't easy, but it's a top 10 school, so you do it for the name. I think after the T14 or so, everything is basically regional. After going through the whole thing, the only schools I'd tell someone from NJ to even *consider* outside the T14 are BU/BC.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 am

keg411 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Yeah, it's something else in the summer. Like I said, I live down by the beach (Monmouth County), and I love it. I just hope to make enough money so I can own my own place here! Congrats on that transfer, must have been tough.
Ah, so jealous. I'm up in North Jersey (and I'll be in NYC this summer), but I'll probably go down a bunch of times. There is still *nothing* like the shore in the summer :).

And yeah, the transfer wasn't easy, but it's a top 10 school, so you do it for the name. I think after the T14 or so, everything is basically regional. After going through the whole thing, the only schools I'd tell someone from NJ to even *consider* outside the T14 are BU/BC.

Yeah my decision is basically going to be Rutgers vs. a T-14, assuming I do how I expect on the LSAT. I need to talk to some people about what kind of work I might be able to line up if I stayed in NJ. The good news about that is that I could continue doing work for my current company.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 am

I am not from NJ but have solid ties and RU-N was my solid second choice. I ended up getting in at Fordham so will be bowing out of Rutgers this week.

OP, enjoy your choice....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”