USF Law or Mcgeorge School of Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dcespedes

New

Re: USF Law or Mcgeorge School of Law

Post by dcespedes » Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

@BmoreOrLess check out that last thread bro

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

tfleming09 wrote: Kaplan is garbage.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 pm

dcespedes wrote:@timbs4339 I took a prep course through kaplan. It started roughly 3 months before the test but that last month i kicked it into high gear. My method was spending everyday on a different section. some days I would split 4 hours with one section, and another 4 with another. I did practice problems and then would do a timed section, go over it, and then usually do another one. On weekends I would do a practice test and then review to gauge my improvement. I thought that was an effective way to study and improve but my score only improved 2 points from my first score which led me to the conclusion that maybe that was just my limit lol.
Kaplan is terrible. Self-studying the help of your good friend TLS, the Powerscore bibles and the official LSAT questions is much cheaper and much more effective. I raised my PT average a good 5 points for under $300 and probably 10 hrs per week of study time.

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm

@tfleming09 Well put. Point taken

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
dcespedes wrote:@timbs4339 I took a prep course through kaplan.
Didn't read past this. Kaplan is garbage.

Get the three logic games bibles from PowerScore. Self study with the help of the LSAT Prep forum plans. You'll thank me in a year. A PM will suffice. Good luck.
This +1000. Also, the way I prepped the last month the second time around was taking a full prep test, straight through with no breaks, every other day (so 3-4 times a week). It really gets you in a grove and makes you get a good feel for the exams. Additionally it prepped me well for the full 5 sections because the 3 and 2 section splits felt like nothing since I was so used to doing 4 sections straight.

Also feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Post by ryemanhattan » Thu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Take the last 40 (or so) LSAT tests and retake. Start with the books of ten ("10 actual complete lsat preptests", etc.) and buy the newest ones individually.

Or:
Your law school options are comparable, and not great. You're looking at around 200k debt. Most applicants who accept that level of debt for those schools will come to regret their decision, I would bet. Maybe you shouldn't go.

Or:
If you want to work in Sac, McGeorge wins out. But you better be hustling while you are there to build contacts around town. Do not expect your UPac Law degree to guarantee you anything. Otherwise, go to USF. Both of these schools are still somewhat respected in their areas. But in this economy they are significant financial gambles.

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah these def arent my choice schools, but with the money that USF is offering for my first year, my tuition would be pretty much covered. It would just be up to me at that point to earn additional funding to cover my 2nd and 3rd year

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 am

So does anyone recommend taking the actual Powerscore Prepcourse at this point and prepping for June/Oct? If I take the June test than I may be able to add the new score to my application file at other schools that I have been waitlisted at or use it as an appeal for schools that denied me. If I do Oct then im looking at next year for law school.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm

dcespedes wrote:So does anyone recommend taking the actual Powerscore Prepcourse at this point and prepping for June/Oct? If I take the June test than I may be able to add the new score to my application file at other schools that I have been waitlisted at or use it as an appeal for schools that denied me. If I do Oct then im looking at next year for law school.
I took a course through them and found it helpful, though one on one tutoring if you're struggling will be more helpful. Regardless, since it's your third retake, I wouldn't bank of the June test unless you're feeling supremely confident. If I were you I would study as hard as you can for the June one and if you're not scoring where you want to, suck it up and take it in October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Did you find it very helpful or only somewhat? Im asking because I already shelled out a ton of cash for kaplan already and with my decent understanding of the test already im wondering if it would benefit me to take a course or if I should just purchase the bibles and do some self studying. the one on one tutoring through powerscore is just way too expensive for me even though I know that would help the most.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 04, 2012 2:30 pm

I HIGHLY recommend the PowerScore materials - the bibles specifically. The benefit to taking a full length class is you get a shitton of extra material to work with. Whether you would benefit from a class is really up to you - I'm self studying this go-around with some materials and the LSAT prep forum here and find it helpful and way less expensive.

If you have the time/discipline/patience to self study, it's way way cheaper and just as effective, if not more so. The problem with classes (and why I recommended 1 on 1 tutoring) is because you need to work on YOUR weaknesses, not the whole class's.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Man what is with usf and their non renewable scholarships?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Man what is with usf and their non renewable scholarships?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs ... st_fallacy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Ya I know right?? If only they offered me that for each year. Then I wouldnt have much to lose at all.

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 pm

@tfleming09 so which study plan are you using off of the LSAT Prep forum? I see that they have a lot of different threads with everyone giving their own opinion on what would be the best strategy. If you have any recommendations as well as far as study method and regimen id appreciate that as well. I think im gonna take ur advice and just buy the books and study hard. I already have a good understanding of the test and I already wasted enough money with kaplan. If I can get the logic games down to a perfect game or even get to the point where im finishing them in time I think ill be in good shape. Ive done and reviewed every single game and type in my kaplan practice book and I still could never finish a whole timed section...smh

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 am

Quick update for you guys...so at the beginning of this thread I said that I needed to make a decision between these two schools by Friday....I just turned down McGeorge and their scholarship today. :cry: Im kicking myself but i think it was the right decision. So, IF I end up not doing the retake then USF is my fallback option for the Fall as it stands.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Sun May 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Seeing threads like this make me happy. Seriously, you guys are literally going to save this guys life. Just take the time off, study smart, get a 165+ and you will be so fucking happy you did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SnapSnapSnap

New

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I HATE to be a troll... But you will not be practicing international or environmental law out of either of these schools. If you refuse to retake, take the front loaded USF scholarship and drop out if you don't make top 5-10% first year. Graduating either of these schools outside of that is career suicide.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 am

dcespedes wrote:@tfleming09 so which study plan are you using off of the LSAT Prep forum? I see that they have a lot of different threads with everyone giving their own opinion on what would be the best strategy. If you have any recommendations as well as far as study method and regimen id appreciate that as well. I think im gonna take ur advice and just buy the books and study hard. I already have a good understanding of the test and I already wasted enough money with kaplan. If I can get the logic games down to a perfect game or even get to the point where im finishing them in time I think ill be in good shape. Ive done and reviewed every single game and type in my kaplan practice book and I still could never finish a whole timed section...smh
Since I'm retaking it's a little different than the standard threads like the PithyPike one.

I'm re-working through the bibles. After I do literally all the work and drills in those, I'll take a practice test to see where I stand. Then I'm going to drill the fuck out of any question types/game types that I'm missing. Then I'm going to rinse and repeat.

My biggest mistake was not going through all the material that is available. I should have gone through EACH game (my weakest section which was always a crapshoot) 2-3 times. I know what I did wrong so I'm correcting it. Just look through the guides and see what works for you from each one. You know your strengths/weaknesses more than anyone.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am

Although I agree that neither law school is a good option for one intending to practice law, one year of free tuition & fees at USF might be great training & a solid foundation for a paralegal career. If you must select between the two, take the full tuition scholarship for a year, do well & transfer or drop out & pursue a paralegal career.

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for all of your replies guys. I really appreciate it. Before this thread I wouldnt have even thought to take the LSAT again. I was done with that SOB but ive been really thinking about how important this decision is and the effect that it will have and if I can do much better this third time then sitting out one more year could be worth it. I wonder how it will look taking it a third time though. If I were to score at least a 165 with my 2.5 LSAC GPA what kind of options do you guys think will become available to me? Im also a URM as well for whatever good that does.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheRedMamba

Bronze

Post by TheRedMamba » Mon May 07, 2012 8:46 pm

dcespedes wrote:Thanks for all of your replies guys. I really appreciate it. Before this thread I wouldnt have even thought to take the LSAT again. I was done with that SOB but ive been really thinking about how important this decision is and the effect that it will have and if I can do much better this third time then sitting out one more year could be worth it. I wonder how it will look taking it a third time though. If I were to score at least a 165 with my 2.5 LSAC GPA what kind of options do you guys think will become available to me? Im also a URM as well for whatever good that does.
Also consider doing something like teach for America that will enhance your application. As a URM with somewhat strong softs and those numbers I think you can definitely improve your prospects given the expected drop in applications both this year and next. I realize all this advice isn't easy to swallow as you want to get on with your life and take the next step to law school but be patient and do what you can to get into the best school possible. You will be really fucking happy you did a decade from now.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 pm

dcespedes wrote:Not really sure what my career goals are yet to be honest. I figured I would get a better idea after my 1L as to where I gravitate towards more but for now I have interests in the International, Business, and Environmental Law areas. As far as debt goes both schools are around the same in tuition which is about 42-43k a year. San Francisco is going to be much more expensive to live than Sacramento, but they give you around the same aid at both schools to cover cost of living so they are pretty comparable as far as debt goes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dcespedes

New

Post by dcespedes » Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm

@TheRedMamba Yeah for sure man. I graduated undergrad back in Dec 2010 and I just wanted to start that next chapter and get those three years over, but im really trying to make the best decision for my future and not act out of haste. I know a few people that have done Teach for America, but I heard its hard as shit to get into...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”