Vandy 60k vs Michigan, seeking advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
youngyodo

New

Vandy 60k vs Michigan, seeking advice

Post by youngyodo » Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I have deposited at Vandy and was recently offered a seat from at Michigan. I am on the waitlist at Cornell and Virginia. I visited Vandy, and came away really impressed. I was looking forward to attending but the Michigan offer took me a little by surprise, and the prospect of attending T-14 school close to home and family now has me pretty torn.

I have ties to the Midwest but am not opposed to relocating for school and a different region to practice. I value flexibility of a degree, and manageable debt load as well. Not sure on what type of law i'd want to practice, but would like to have the oppurtunity to have options when graduating. I would like the opportunity to do Big Law, but am not deadest on it unless my debt requires it.

Offer from Vandy right now is 20k per year, no stips. Michigan will be getting back to me soon with a potential offer.

Interested in hearing opinions on the difference in career prospects between the two schools. I'm from the Midwest, and I would like to know if going to Vandy could potentially open more doors because of my ties back home as opposed to going to a school already in my home region.

Info:
No Undergrad Debt
URM
10k a year to offset living expenses

Open to all feedback

SaintFond

Bronze

Re: Vandy 60k vs Michigan, seeking advice

Post by SaintFond » Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 pm

youngyodo wrote:I have deposited at Vandy and was recently offered a seat from at Michigan. I am on the waitlist at Cornell and Virginia. I visited Vandy, and came away really impressed. I was looking forward to attending but the Michigan offer took me a little by surprise, and the prospect of attending T-14 school close to home and family now has me pretty torn.

I have ties to the Midwest but am not opposed to relocating for school and a different region to practice. I value flexibility of a degree, and manageable debt load as well. Not sure on what type of law i'd want to practice, but would like to have the oppurtunity to have options when graduating. I would like the opportunity to do Big Law, but am not deadest on it unless my debt requires it.
If you go to either school, it sounds like you are going to come out with over $100K in debt. You will need BigLaw to pay that back in any reasonable amount of time. Michigan gives you a better shot at Biglaw. Also it probably gives you a better shot at clerkships and so forth. Ergo, Michigan is probably the better choice.
youngyodo wrote:Offer from Vandy right now is 20k per year, no stips. Michigan will be getting back to me soon with a potential offer.

Interested in hearing opinions on the difference in career prospects between the two schools. I'm from the Midwest, and I would like to know if going to Vandy could potentially open more doors because of my ties back home as opposed to going to a school already in my home region.

Open to all feedback
Vandy is a good school, but I don't think it would open up any markets that Michigan wouldn't, except maybe for a few Southern markets; but the biggest markets aren't Southern anyway. If Vandy were giving you 120K or perhaps even 105K, I'd probably tell you to go Vandy, but as it stands they aren't offering you enough to draw you away from Michigan.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 02, 2012 7:37 pm

youngyodo wrote:I value flexibility of a degree, and manageable debt load as well. Not sure on what type of law i'd want to practice, but would like to have the oppurtunity to have options when graduating. I would like the opportunity to do Big Law, but am not deadest on it unless my debt requires it.
I usually vote for Vandy in these "Vandy vs X" threads, but here I think Michigan is clearly the better option.

Michigan reputation amongst big law recruiters is better than its US News ranking suggests:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... aw-schools

And if you want to do something else, Michigan's general reputation in the Midwest is second-only to HYS:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/harvard ... ublic.aspx

Michigan also has a much better LRAP program. If you don't get/want big law, that gives you more options for living comfortably and managing your debt, which is exactly what you want.

As mentioned above, you would still have over $100k in debt from Vandy. That would be difficult to pay back without big law or LRAP.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 pm

First, ask "we don't negotiate" Vanderbilt for more money based on your Michigan acceptance. If successful, then repost with your increased offer & your scholarship offer to Michigan; if unsuccessful, then it makes it easier to reject Vanderbilt & attend a T-14 close to home.

P.S. By that time you may also know your final status with Cornell & Virginia.

youngyodo

New

Post by youngyodo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm

First of all thanks for the advice everyone, it has been a big help.

I contacted "we don't negotiate" Vanderbilt, and they stayed true to their reputation. An increase from their 60k scholarship is not happening. I am still waiting for a scholarship offer from Mich, and I am hoping to hear from them next week. It would be great for Mich to match the scholarship, but I'm guessing that this is not very likely since the schools are not peers. Realistically I'm thinking that I can now address my situation with two similar options

- Michigan with a small scholarship 10-30k
- Michigan at Sticker

What are your opinions of my prospects in light of this? Also, would being pulled of the waitlist from either Virginia or Cornell change your opinion of which school I should chose. To give further insight into my financial situation, through savings/ summer work/ family contribution etc I should be able to break about even and will not need to borrow money for my living expenses from either school. Sticker does scare me, but I'm beginning to lean towards Michigan for its increased job propsects and the lack of scholarship increase from Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Vanderbilt is still a great option. Unfortunately, you just need to wait until you get further info. from Michigan, Cornell & Virginia.

youngyodo

New

Post by youngyodo » Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 pm

I was offered a 10k a year scholarship at Michigan for 30k, half of my 60k Vanderbilt offer. Im now in a tough decision. I haven't heard anything from Virginia or Cornell, but even if accepted I think I would choose Michigan over those two. My initial thinking is that Michigan is worth 30k more than Vanderbilt, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions. Of course, the larger debt load I would take on at Mich has concerned, but I hear great things about their LRAP.

Also, if accepted into Virginia or Cornell do you think this could provide leverage for more money from Michigan? Or does coming off the waitlist make it somewhat harder to negotiate?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Easy MI, over Cornell and UVA too. Easy. 2nd best in the Midwest anyway.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue May 08, 2012 4:18 am

Michigan clear answer here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 am

vandy for a shot at your spot at mich. srsly though, michigan

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am

Michigan because it's closer to home, not much cost difference & places better nationally.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”