Wake vs. American vs. Pitt ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Goldenmonkey

New

Wake vs. American vs. Pitt ($$)

Post by Goldenmonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 11:27 am

I understand that Wake is the higher ranked school, however the thought of living in North Carolina for a long time really doesn't excite me. Similarly, although Pitt offered me 14k a year, I'm under the impression that living in Pittsburgh kind of sucks. American is pretty pricey, but I would love to live in D.C. Can anyone help me weigh the pros and cons of the situation? I'm currently waiting to get off the wait lists at: UNC, W&M, UIUC, and UC Boulder but I can only work with what I've got right now.

Nelson

Gold

Re: Wake vs. American vs. Pitt ($$)

Post by Nelson » Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 am

Goldenmonkey wrote:I understand that Wake is the higher ranked school, however the thought of living in North Carolina for a long time really doesn't excite me. Similarly, although Pitt offered me 14k a year, I'm under the impression that living in Pittsburgh kind of sucks. American is pretty pricey, but I would love to live in D.C. Can anyone help me weigh the pros and cons of the situation? I'm currently waiting to get off the wait lists at: UNC, W&M, UIUC, and UC Boulder but I can only work with what I've got right now.
Are you from Pittsburgh? If not, none of these options are worth the price, assuming Wake and American are at sticker.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am

Wake or American at sticker price? GAHHHH

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 11:31 am

No I'm from New Jersey, right outside of New York.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 am

GPA/LSAT?
Career goals?
Total cost of attendance at each?
Where do you want to live and work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 am

3.7 (3.6 LSAC)/161
Want to work in a mid-sized firm, gain some clients, and eventually open my own practice in order to be my own boss.
I don't have the exact numbers but it's more or less: Pitt: 25k, American 62k, Wake 52k
I want to live in the northeast, preferably New York (not necessarily the city), or the mid-atlantic region.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 am

Goldenmonkey wrote:3.7 (3.6 LSAC)/161
Want to work in a mid-sized firm, gain some clients, and eventually open my own practice in order to be my own boss.
I don't have the exact numbers but it's more or less: Pitt: 25k, American 62k, Wake 52k
I want to live in the northeast, preferably New York (not necessarily the city), or the mid-atlantic region.
1) Have you exhausted retakes?
2) Employment data is scary from these schools, and for Wake and American you're gonna need dat biglaw $$$ to pay off those loans at first
3) Pitt is the only one of these that is financial suicide
4) None of these will get you to NY/NYC, American will likely leave you unemployed and indebted in the mid-atlantic though

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 11:49 am

Did you mean to say that Pitt ISN'T the only one that's financial suicide?
I have connections to the NY area so that's not entirely true. Moreover, why do you say that about American?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 am

Goldenmonkey wrote:Did you mean to say that Pitt ISN'T the only one that's financial suicide?
I have connections to the NY area so that's not entirely true. Moreover, why do you say that about American?
Typo, yeah, sorry.

Because according to this, 36% of American students had not secured full time employment of ANY sort 9 months after graduation. Additionally, American is only placing 15% of grads into biglaw. Not accounting for likely tuition increases, your total cost of attendance and resulting debt is 215K with interest.

That's a fucking horrible decision.

What kind of "connections"? None of these schools are even quasi-national like Notre Dame or WUSTL. You'd be better of going to Rutgers-Newark or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue May 01, 2012 11:55 am

Goldenmonkey wrote:Did you mean to say that Pitt ISN'T the only one that's financial suicide?
That's what he meant, but even Pitt is going to run you 100k in debt with cost of living, and it's not worth it.

For American and Wake, you're going to take out 200k in debt. Only about 10-15% of the class at those schools gets a job that will let them pay off that much debt in a reasonable amount of time.

You should retake for better options.

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Typo, yeah, sorry.

Because according to this, 36% of American students had not secured full time employment of ANY sort 9 months after graduation. Additionally, American is only placing 15% of grads into biglaw. Not accounting for likely tuition increases, your total cost of attendance and resulting debt is 215K with interest.

That's a fucking horrible decision.

What kind of "connections"? None of these schools are even quasi-national like Notre Dame or WUSTL. You'd be better of going to Rutgers-Newark or something.
I have very strong connections to a large company that has an in-house council and I worked for a prominent mid-sized firm last summer. No offense if you go to Rutgers-Newark (I have a sneaking sense that you do not), but you couldn't fucking pay me to go live in Newark.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Goldenmonkey wrote:
I have very strong connections to a large company that has an in-house council and I worked for a prominent mid-sized firm last summer. No offense if you go to Rutgers-Newark (I have a sneaking sense that you do not), but you couldn't fucking pay me to go live in Newark.
You're not getting an in-house "council" gig right out of law school, especially from these places. Mid sized firm might be promising, but only if you have an offer lined up - in which case, go somewhere REALLY cheap.

Fair point on Newark.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”