Rutgers-Newark or Cardozo? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rutgers newark $$ /Cardozo $$$$

Rutgers
48%
Cardozo
52%

Total votes: 21

latty

New

Rutgers-Newark or Cardozo?

Post by latty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:50 pm

I received a full scholarship offer from Cardozo ( top 80% stip )
and about 2/3 scholarship from Rutgers. I would like to practice in NJ. I am not set on biglaw, I would rather work in mid-size/small firm. Is there a big difference between these schools in terms of NJ. employment prospects? Thanks

dingbat

Gold

Re: Rutgers-Newark or Cardozo?

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 am

latty wrote:I received a full scholarship offer from Cardozo ( top 80% stip )
and about 2/3 scholarship from Rutgers. I would like to practice in NJ. I am not set on biglaw, I would rather work in mid-size/small firm. Is there a big difference between these schools in terms of NJ. employment prospects? Thanks
Rutgers is better for NJ, 'Dozo is better for NY
On a separate note, there's very little biglaw in NJ, but lots of midlaw, for which Rutgers is a great feeder school

latty

New

Post by latty » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks for the response. In terms of education am I right to assume that they are quite similar?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 am

latty wrote:Thanks for the response. In terms of education am I right to assume that they are quite similar?
I haven't studied at either :arrow: but I cant imagine there being much difference

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Between the two I chose Rutgers. Neither gives a great shot at biglaw and while Cardozo has a slight edge there is not that much difference between the two for BL.... What Rutgers does that Cardozo does't is dominate its home state in other areas.... Cardozo has NYU, CLS, Fordham in front of it, then Brooklyn in its league, then the other NYC law schools and ALL those grads to compete directly with for the non big law jobs.....

Rutgers has SH and that is about it for the "other" jobs in the state.

Actually, putting my deposit down now and unless Fordham comes calling I will be in Newark in the fall......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Oh, and in terms of NJ employment it is Rutgers hands DOWN!

Rutgers, grads in NJ 145, and in NY 51

Cardozo, grads in NY 266, NJ 17

That says it all if you are wanting midlaw or local govt in NJ

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 pm

2/3 scholly at RU-N is bordering on free and you have far more opportunities to lower your COL in suburban NJ than in NYC so I think any possible difference financially will be pretty small. When you take that into account and the fact that RU-N places significantly better than 'Dozo across the board in New Jersey (very little chance at BigLaw from either, of course) and I think this decision is pretty easy.

latty

New

Post by latty » Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 am

Sorry for driving people crazy, it turns out i'm looking at 40k at Rutgers in tuition costs. Money is a major factor, probably more than the ability to work in NJ. Either way I would live in NJ same area so COL would be the same. Thanks guys.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 am

latty wrote:Sorry for driving people crazy, it turns out i'm looking at 40k at Rutgers in tuition costs. Money is a major factor, probably more than the ability to work in NJ. Either way I would live in NJ same area so COL would be the same. Thanks guys.
Nuts, driving us nuts I tell ya...... kidding of course....

Basically, if money is a driving factor then go with whichever would cost you less.... Don't forget the extra money to commute to and from the island every day if you will be living in Jersey. I liked Rutgers better than Dozo but they would have been the same cost for me. Had Rutgers been 40K more, I would likely have gone with Cardozo myself but that is me..... 40 K at Rutgers is not bad though and might well be worth it if you really want NJ.....

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 am

latty wrote:Sorry for driving people crazy, it turns out i'm looking at 40k at Rutgers in tuition costs. Money is a major factor, probably more than the ability to work in NJ. Either way I would live in NJ same area so COL would be the same. Thanks guys.
I think Rutgers-Newark probably places a tiny bit better in its home market NJ than 'Dozo does simply because there is less competition (Law School Transparency seems to show that it is more or less a push). Further, I do also legitimately believe RU-N stands to benefit from the seemingly inevitable RU-C/Rowan merger both in terms of ranking and employment prospects. The cost/hassle of being a full-time student commuting into NYC from NJ is has to be worth some consideration but it sounds like you are from the area and therefore aware of the challenges that this presents.

All of that said, if saving 40K trumps everything else (convenience, employment in NJ etc.)...then 'Dozo is your pick and a totally rational one at that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”