Texas Law Schools, Baylor vs Wesleyan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
soph

New

Texas Law Schools, Baylor vs Wesleyan

Post by soph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 pm

I've been accepted to Baylor at sticker price and have yet to hear from Texas Wesleyan. I can only assume that I'll be given a gratuitous scholarship (full ride maybe?) for Wesleyan, but I'm not sure if I should go there. My top choice was SMU since I wanted to practice in Dallas, but I was dinged for FT. I was also accepted to STCL and St. Mary's with $ but their seat deposits have passed. Unfortunately, I had neglected to really research Wesleyan. After perusing TLS, TWes seems to come off as a pretty bad school (possibly one of the worst, although I thought that was Texas Southern). Is it really that terrible even considering a full ride and pushing for being top of the class? I'm becoming more reluctant to possibly go there if it's literally tossing all job prospects down the toilet.

mtyler19

Bronze

Re: Texas Law Schools, Baylor vs Wesleyan

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm

soph wrote:I've been accepted to Baylor at sticker price and have yet to hear from Texas Wesleyan. I can only assume that I'll be given a gratuitous scholarship (full ride maybe?) for Wesleyan, but I'm not sure if I should go there. My top choice was SMU since I wanted to practice in Dallas, but I was dinged for FT. I was also accepted to STCL and St. Mary's with $ but their seat deposits have passed. Unfortunately, I had neglected to really research Wesleyan. After perusing TLS, TWes seems to come off as a pretty bad school (possibly one of the worst, although I thought that was Texas Southern). Is it really that terrible even considering a full ride and pushing for being top of the class? I'm becoming more reluctant to possibly go there if it's literally tossing all job prospects down the toilet.
Don't go to TxWes. Did you apply to UH?

Archoholic

New

Post by Archoholic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm

FWIW, a practicing friend of mine warned me to not attend Wesleyan. He said he does know good lawyers who went there, but that they will always be viewed as "coming from TxWesleyan." He likened it to having an anchor around one's neck.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Everyone will be pushing to be at the top of the class. The fact that you might get a full ride to that utter craphole doesn't mean you have a good chance of being at the top.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 pm

You shouldn't go to Wesleyan even if they pay you to attend. Go to Baylor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soph

New

Post by soph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
soph wrote:I've been accepted to Baylor at sticker price and have yet to hear from Texas Wesleyan. I can only assume that I'll be given a gratuitous scholarship (full ride maybe?) for Wesleyan, but I'm not sure if I should go there. My top choice was SMU since I wanted to practice in Dallas, but I was dinged for FT. I was also accepted to STCL and St. Mary's with $ but their seat deposits have passed. Unfortunately, I had neglected to really research Wesleyan. After perusing TLS, TWes seems to come off as a pretty bad school (possibly one of the worst, although I thought that was Texas Southern). Is it really that terrible even considering a full ride and pushing for being top of the class? I'm becoming more reluctant to possibly go there if it's literally tossing all job prospects down the toilet.
I did apply to UH but was denied. What are my chances of say going to TWes for a year and transferring to SMU? I'm so surprised that a school could be so stigmatized.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

soph wrote:
I did apply to UH but was denied. What are my chances of say going to TWes for a year and transferring to SMU? I'm so surprised that a school could be so stigmatized.
5-10%

Way easier to study and retake the LSAT and start out at a school that isn't a festering toilet.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
soph wrote:
5-10%

Way easier to study and retake the LSAT and start out at a school that isn't a festering toilet.
I would say its worse than 10%. Maybe if your in the top 10% they will look at your ap for a transfer, but no guarantee they accept you. 3%?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 pm

soph wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
Don't go anywhere you wouldn't be OK graduating from.

Wesleyan is an awful, awful school. Think of it this way: employers in Fort Worth would rather drive 320 miles to Lubbock or go to Dallas to get attorneys, instead of going to the school in their own backyard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
soph wrote:
5-10%

I would say its worse than 10%. Maybe if your in the top 10% they will look at your ap for a transfer, but no guarantee they accept you. 3%?

All of the transfers I've met were at the very top of the class.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm

DO NOT go to Tex Wes.

Baylor at sticker is not an ideal situation either....

The best decision, if you believe you can imporve, is to retake the LSAT. Consider taking the June LSAT, so if you dont improve much, you can still attend Baylor this fall.

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Unless you want your personal information released to the general public, I wouldn't go to Baylor.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:20 pm

kalvano wrote:Go to Baylor.
I never thought I would see the day.

That shows you how bad TexWes sucks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Nova wrote:DO NOT go to Tex Wes.

The best decision, if you believe you can imporve, is to retake the LSAT. Consider taking the June LSAT, so if you dont improve much, you can still attend Baylor this fall.

Saying Baylor is not an ideal situation at sticker is like saying having a fat, naked dude sit on your face is not an ideal situation. Don't go unless someone else is paying your tuition..

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Nova wrote:DO NOT go to Tex Wes.

Saying Baylor is not an ideal situation at sticker is like saying having a fat, naked dude sit on your face is not an ideal situation. Don't go unless someone else is paying your tuition..
That certainly would not be an ideal situation either :shock:

I agree though. Retaking the LSAT to get scholarships to UH/SMU/Baylor is the best move.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 pm

OP, what are your stats?

1. If retake is possible, retake and aim for Texas/SMU/UH.
2. If retake is not possible, see if you get any money from Texas Wesleyan but DON'T GO THERE. Instead, see if you can use that to maybe negotiate getting a little something out of Baylor. Even if you can't, still go to Baylor.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 pm

That's a hefty price tag for Baylor. What about Tech? I can understand not liking Lubbock but it would be way cheaper in state with pretty similar potential outcomes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:04 pm

soph wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
Chances are much worse than attending Baylor for a year and attempting to transfer.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

You got rejected from UHLC? Interesting...Seems like they're really gunning for higher LSATs than ever before. :O

OP, definitely pay attention to what these smart guys have to say...But put it into context. Can you see yourself affording three years of sticker Baylor? That's:

1L: $49,000 2012-2013 Source
2L: $52,000-$53,000
3L: $55,000-$57,000

The second and third years are just estimates based on research I've done, but since tuition has gone up for an average 3-4K a year for the past 6-7 years, I think I'm right on the money.

But yeah...The point is that your debt situation is atrocious unless you do just super-well in 1L. Factor in three years of CoL, and that's $200k. Even for a fantastic regional school like Baylor, that's still a monstrous amount.

Of course, don't settle for TexWes either, and don't go there under any circumstance. You are a classic case of someone who would benefit greatly from taking a year off, regathering your strength, and then hitting up the apps process really hard. Talk it over with someone and give it some real thought, but from someone who's been there before, I can tell you that it makes a difference. :)

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 am

I don't see why you are not considering Tech.

You know there is middle ground between Baylor and a TexWes.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:01 am

Ironically, Tech gives you a better shot at D/FW than Wesleyan, which is actually in the FW part.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 am

kalvano wrote:Ironically, Tech gives you a better shot at D/FW than Wesleyan, which is actually in the FW part.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 am

Titleist wrote:I don't see why you are not considering Tech.

You know there is middle ground between Baylor and a TexWes.

True. Plus Tech is only 23k a year. Since you got in Baylor, I would venture to say you would be have a good shot at a scholly at Tech.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”