BU v Fordham (30k) v GW (75k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

Boston University (unsure if scholarship - accepted yesterday)
7%
Fordham (30k)
13%
George Washington (75k)
73%
Neither... shouldn't have so quickly ruled out Pepperdine or W&M
No votes
Neither... seriously? Reapply next year.
7%

Total votes: 15

chaoticreassembly

New

BU v Fordham (30k) v GW (75k)

Post by chaoticreassembly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:39 pm

I need to make a quick decision, as seat deposits are due in a couple days. I am not picky about where I live except that it has to be a major metropolitan area, but if I had to rank based on location, it would probably be 1. NYC, 2. DC, 3. Boston. I have also been accepted to Pepperdine with a 90k scholarship (that comes with a grade stipulation) and William & Mary (sticker). I think it is safe to rule those out at this point.
I have already paid Fordham's deposit because they accepted me before the other two schools did and I was becoming pretty thrilled by the possibility of life in NYC. But now I am excited about George Washington because of the scholarship, the fact that I'd get to stay close to my boyfriend, and its higher ranking. Recently I started lurking this forum and have found that GW doesn't seem to have a very strong reputation here.
Boston U called me yesterday afternoon and accepted me. I still have not received an official letter and do not know what, if anything at all, their scholarship offer would be. I definitely don't want to pay three seat deposits. That would be insanely indecisive. Fordham gave me $10k/year and GW gave me 25k/year. Neither appear to have any stipulation attached. Right now, I am most interested in studying Constitutional appellate law, but I am keeping my mind open for the things I experience during my 1L year and this is subject to change.

tennisking88

Silver

Re: BU v Fordham (30k) v GW (75k)

Post by tennisking88 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

chaoticreassembly wrote:Right now, I am most interested in studying Constitutional appellate law
LOLwut

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm

chaoticreassembly wrote:I need to make a quick decision, as seat deposits are due in a couple days. I am not picky about where I live except that it has to be a major metropolitan area, but if I had to rank based on location, it would probably be 1. NYC, 2. DC, 3. Boston. I have also been accepted to Pepperdine with a 90k scholarship (that comes with a grade stipulation) and William & Mary (sticker). I think it is safe to rule those out at this point.
I have already paid Fordham's deposit because they accepted me before the other two schools did and I was becoming pretty thrilled by the possibility of life in NYC. But now I am excited about George Washington because of the scholarship, the fact that I'd get to stay close to my boyfriend, and its higher ranking. Recently I started lurking this forum and have found that GW doesn't seem to have a very strong reputation here.
Boston U called me yesterday afternoon and accepted me. I still have not received an official letter and do not know what, if anything at all, their scholarship offer would be. I definitely don't want to pay three seat deposits. That would be insanely indecisive. Fordham gave me $10k/year and GW gave me 25k/year. Neither appear to have any stipulation attached. Right now, I am most interested in studying Constitutional appellate law, but I am keeping my mind open for the things I experience during my 1L year and this is subject to change.
If you want NYC Fordham is the way to go. However, 10k/yr is not nearly enough in aid and you'll still have to take out an insane amount of debt for Fordham. GW sounds like an OK choice here. You will probably not go back to NY but, you have a shot at DC, and it's cheaper, and your bf will be there. Do that.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 pm

chaoticreassembly wrote:I need to make a quick decision, as seat deposits are due in a couple days. I am not picky about where I live except that it has to be a major metropolitan area, but if I had to rank based on location, it would probably be 1. NYC, 2. DC, 3. Boston. I have also been accepted to Pepperdine with a 90k scholarship (that comes with a grade stipulation) and William & Mary (sticker). I think it is safe to rule those out at this point.
I'd say GW unless you can negotiate.

You will have plenty of opportunities to STUDY constitutional appellate law in law school. You will have close to no chance at ever getting a job in this area. To quote a famous video:

"Listen, there are like three lawyers in America who argue constitutional issues. They all went to Harvard and graduated in the 1970s. Did you go to Harvard? Do you have a time machine that you can use to go back to the 1970s and graduate with those guys? You are going to make me take all my Ambien at the same time and then chase it with a glass of scotch."

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm

GW - take the money

BU, GW and Fordham are peer schools; theyre very similar in terms of rankings and prospects so there are really only two factors to consider when choosing between them:
1) location
2) money

You already said location doesn't really matter, so it all comes down to money

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”