So Confused..... Help Pleased Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ThreeRivers

Silver

So Confused..... Help Pleased

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 pm

So I was all set for Minnesota. I visited it, I loved it, said I could picture myself living here.. I got 23 k a year... everything was great

Then all these schools that sent me shitty offers that I withdrew from are suddenly sending me "PLEASE COME HERE!!!" RE-OFFERS"

Now, I'm very confused
UMN for 20 k a year in tuition (no stips)
Cardozo full ride (In top 80%).. just came
Pitt 9 k a year (but with a MEDIAN stip, that I need to try to get rid of).. came a week ago

Thoughts?

theavrock

Silver

Re: So Confused..... Help Pleased

Post by theavrock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm

You have 1200 posts. You should know TLS needs more info than you provided.

where do you want to practice and what do you want to do after you practice?

What will total COA be, not just tuition?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Where do you want to work, where do you have ties, and what is your lsat/gpa? Are you on your own for living expenses?

You know better bruh

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry, I do know better. Just in a "wtf" moment after I thought I knew exactly where I was going

I'm from a small no-one-achieves-much town about an hour south of Pittsburgh. So I guess I have "ties" there, but I don't really know anyone in the professional world of Pittsburgh at all

I have no SO / not much tying me down so I figured I'd pretty much be willing to live wherever I can get the best job. I like Pitttsburgh / Minneapolis.. I've never been to NYC

167/3.44

According to all their TCOA estimates, add about 20 k for each... but Idk how accurate that is (really, NYC is just as cheap as Minn / Pittsburgh?)

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Edit N/m

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:46 pm

If you want to work in Minnesota/Midwest, then Minnesota.

If you want to work in NYC/East Coast, then Cardozo.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 pm

As stated in the fourth-post, I just want a decent job

I'm guessing my odds of that are better with Minn (they dominate their market), but the full ride is tempting

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Pick between all these cities. Actually was Pitt only 9k a year or a 9k scholarship? Don't go to Pitt if the latter.

Edit: did you really withdraw before receiving these new offers?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:58 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Cardozo full ride (In top 80%).. just came
Seems like Cardozo had quite the effect on you. Maybe you should go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: Edit: did you really withdraw before receiving these new offers?
Can't speak for OP, but I did get the same offer at 'dozo, and it was indeed after withdrawing. Also got another call from another t25 earlier today that I had withdrawn from. Weird eh?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:03 pm

I think I'd do Cardozo. They are both even on biglaw placement and since you don't have Midwestern ties, you're going to have a tough time with the secondary market options that Minnesota provides. Not sure what total COA is at both schools, but I'm guess 'Dozo is substantially cheaper.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: Edit: did you really withdraw before receiving these new offers?
Can't speak for OP, but I did get the same offer at 'dozo, and it was indeed after withdrawing. Also got another call from another t25 earlier today that I had withdrawn from. Weird eh?
CANADIAN?

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
What are y'all writing in your WD emails? Are these schools you just withdrew from or long ago?

Veterans: Does this sort of thing happen every year or might this have something to do with test taker #s?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 pm

I would take the full ride at Dozo over UMN. Access to a bigger market and cheap enough that you could go the small firm route if you have to. I still think you should retake though.

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

Please come to Minnesota. Cardozo blows for the following reasons:

1. You would have to compete for jobs with every other school in NY (and every other state)
2. They don't even have a hockey team. Probably.
3. Rankings and all that.
4. New York City loses its novelty quickly, Minneapolis is timelessly delightful.
And most importantly:
5. I will not be there. Haha

Just come to the U of MN, I'm willing to bribe you with beer at gopher games haha. Then in three years, we'll score sick jobs in a market that our school dominates and make bank. That's the dream. Don't turn your back on the dream for dozo.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am

woodscommaL wrote:Please come to Minnesota. Cardozo blows for the following reasons:

1. You would have to compete for jobs with every other school in NY (and every other state)
4. New York City loses its novelty quickly, Minneapolis is timelessly delightful.
And most importantly:
5. I will not be there. Haha

Just come to the U of MN, I'm willing to bribe you with beer at gopher games haha. Then in three years, we'll score sick jobs in a market that our school dominates and make bank. That's the dream. Don't turn your back on the dream for dozo.
You left off Big Ten football games and one of the largest populations of undergraduates in the country to help the OP fix the lack of an SO problem.....

Free LS is a great deal but my guess is the CoL in MN is considerably less than NYC making the CoA fairly close between the two. In which case, choose whichever has more appeal to you.....

JC

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 am

Kronk wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Cardozo full ride (In top 80%).. just came
Seems like Cardozo had quite the effect on you. Maybe you should go there.
:mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 pm

JCFindley wrote:
You left off Big Ten football games and one of the largest populations of undergraduates in the country to help the OP fix the lack of an SO problem.....

Free LS is a great deal but my guess is the CoL in MN is considerably less than NYC making the CoA fairly close between the two. In which case, choose whichever has more appeal to you.....

JC
I have amended my list:

5. Big. Ten. Football. Games. fuck yeah.
6. A vast population of undergrads to choose from, and me to be your wingwoman.
7. Cost of living. Rent in NYC alone will probably run triple what it is in the Twin Cities.
8. Quality of life. In 10 years, when you have little Rivers running around, tributaries if I may, do you want them to be able to run out into their backyard and play hockey on the frozen lake before the school bus comes to take them to one of the highest rated public school systems nationally, or do you want them getting mugged while they take the smog-filled subway to an exorbitantly expensive private school in Manhattan because they would get shanked the second they walked into a New York public school. Think about it.

And still most importantly:
5. I will not be there.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:38 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:So I was all set for Minnesota. I visited it, I loved it, said I could picture myself living here.. I got 23 k a year... everything was great

Then all these schools that sent me shitty offers that I withdrew from are suddenly sending me "PLEASE COME HERE!!!" RE-OFFERS"

Now, I'm very confused
UMN for 20 k a year in tuition (no stips)
Cardozo full ride (In top 80%).. just came
Pitt 9 k a year (but with a MEDIAN stip, that I need to try to get rid of).. came a week ago

Thoughts?
Pitt ... assuming you qualify for the in-state tuition and get rid of the stip.

Dozo's cost of living is way higher than the website leads you to believe, so it wouldn't be that much cheaper than your other alternatives. It's only the fourth-best school in a cutthroat market. And you've never even been to NYC so who knows if you'll like it (some can't stand it). Out.

UMN's placement is not as good as Pitt's according to the new ABA figures (79.7% long-term employed vs. 67.25%). And if you get the in-state, the total COA for Pitt is actually lower than UMN, no?

Plus it's your home turf, more or less.

So I think this is an easy one ... again, assuming resident tuition and no stip.
Last edited by Robespierre on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 pm

i have a good friend that took a a 75 percent ride at doza over fordham sticker. he was in top 10 percent and made law review and said he was very close to not receiving an offer, he told me after the fact he would never recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: completely his opinion i dont know enough about doza employment to weigh in

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Did he say he wanted a BigLaw offer? I don't know, I thought he just said "decent job." BigLaw is going to be hard no matter where you're from. Doesn't surprise me that top ten percent at Cardozo has a tough go.

I don't at all consider getting an offer the gold standard, but it depends on what you want from life. If you have serious hobbies and / or a family I think it's a destructive career. You won't go on vacation without having to work a bit, period. You won't go more than a month or two without working until 2-3am and coming back in at 9am at least a couple times. You won't get anything interesting or with much responsibility for several years, at which point statistically you'll be ready to move on from the job anyhow.

I think there is definitely something to be said for getting a J.D. without paying a dime, so I would either A.) go to the place where you will be geographically happiest or B.) go to Cardozo and, on a full-ride, the worst thing you lose is three years of working.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:33 pm

woodscommaL wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

JC
I have amended my list:

7. Cost of living. Rent in NYC alone will probably run triple what it is in the Twin Cities.
8. Quality of life. In 10 years, when you have little Rivers running around, tributaries if I may, do you want them to be able to run out into their backyard and play hockey on the frozen lake before the school bus comes to take them to one of the highest rated public school systems nationally, or do you want them getting mugged while they take the smog-filled subway to an exorbitantly expensive private school in Manhattan because they would get shanked the second they walked into a New York public school. Think about it.

5. I will not be there.
Obviously why I've decided on UMN

Besides the B!G football thing

Big East... umm ACC for life

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:
I have amended my list:

5. I will not be there.
Obviously why I've decided on UMN

Besides the B!G football thing

Big East... umm ACC for life
Hahaha false. I'm converting you, resistance is futile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”