USC v. Cornell v. Illinois v. IU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Feddy250

New

USC v. Cornell v. Illinois v. IU

Post by Feddy250 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm

USC (90K)
Cornell(Haven't received financial aid decision yet)
Illinois (60K)
IU (Full Scholarship)

Waitlist- Duke, Penn, Chi, NU, Mich, UVA, GULC, NYU

3.95/170 weak undergrad institution and major

I am not sure what to do. I am interested in the Corporate/Business Law, Dispute Resolution, Sports/Entertainment Law in the Chicago or LA markets, but preferably the Chicago market. I am leaning right now towards USC. I haven't heard back from UCLA yet, but I figured if I got accepted I would choose between the two based on money. Also, which school(s) should I go to if I get off a waiting list at most likely the sticker price? I need some help here....

roaringeagle

Bronze

Re: USC v. Cornell v. Illinois v. IU

Post by roaringeagle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:22 pm

make a poll. it is very useful. you can find the poll form underneath the big white text box in the first post when you edit. BTW I vote either USC even though their admissions committee are a bunch of shitheads in my opinion or ride out the waitlists. I am a bit puzzled though, why wouldn't your grades and LSAT get you into top 14? Did you write a bad personal statement?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Feddy250 wrote:USC (90K)
Cornell(Haven't received financial aid decision yet)
Illinois (60K)
IU (Full Scholarship)

Waitlist- Duke, Penn, Chi, NU, Mich, UVA, GULC, NYU

3.95/170 weak undergrad institution and major

I am not sure what to do. I am interested in the Corporate/Business Law, Dispute Resolution, Sports/Entertainment Law in the Chicago or LA markets, but preferably the Chicago market. I am leaning right now towards USC. I haven't heard back from UCLA yet, but I figured if I got accepted I would choose between the two based on money. Also, which school(s) should I go to if I get off a waiting list at most likely the sticker price? I need some help here....
I mean... I'd do Cornell here with those goals. I wouldn't go to USC hoping to get back to Chicago. If you're cool with California, USC is really a solid choice though. And in that case, I don't think any of the waitlists at sticker are going to be better options. Either take Cornell (or one of the waitlists at sticker) for geographic mobility or go to USC for California or IU for midwest.

You can try to leverage your other offers with Cornell though. It's worth a shot.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 pm

I am surprised by your cycle. You definitely underperformed your numbers. How poor is this undergrad institution of yours? Also, did you apply late in the cycle or early? Are you up for waiting a year? You should have better options than this.

Retaking the LSAT is dangerous with a 170 but I think you should consider it. Your GPA is baller despite whatever your weak undergrad and major were. Even without a new LSAT, you're leaving money on the table if you take any of these options. IMO, you should:

1. Take a year off and gain some work experience and re-take LSAT (even if you score lower, the schools you're looking at will take the highest score).
2. Take a year off and gain some work experience, don't re-take LSAT

Either option puts you in a better place than you are now. Good luck.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

woeisme wrote:
I mean... I'd do Cornell here with those goals. I wouldn't go to USC hoping to get back to Chicago. If you're cool with California, USC is really a solid choice though. And in that case, I don't think any of the waitlists at sticker are going to be better options. Either take Cornell (or one of the waitlists at sticker) for geographic mobility or go to USC for California or IU for midwest.

You can try to leverage your other offers with Cornell though. It's worth a shot.
I agree with everything except the last bit: Illinois places far better in Chicago than Indiana and, given your goals, it's worth the extra money. That being said, You should probably decide between Cornell/waitlists and the LA schools (assuming Chicago doesn't outpace LA in your mind by a really long ways...)...Or, if you can take a year off and reapply...do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:35 pm

You could also try negotiating with Illinois. Supposedly a lot of people have successfully negotiated with them this year. They might bump you up to 75%.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Betharl wrote:You could also try negotiating with Illinois. Supposedly a lot of people have successfully negotiated with them this year. They might bump you up to 75%.
If they aren't giving him a fullride who are they giving one to?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Betharl wrote:You could also try negotiating with Illinois. Supposedly a lot of people have successfully negotiated with them this year. They might bump you up to 75%.
If they aren't giving him a fullride who are they giving one to?

Amen. As a current student, I'm annoyed that they're not.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 pm

If you get off the waitlist, Chicago is worth sticker price since Chicago is your target market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 pm

You should have better options on the table. Any idea why your cycle went the way it did? Did you apply late? I feel like you should be competitive from CCN on down, and you should have T14 with big money. I'm also shocked you don't have a full ride from Illinois.

Assuming no major changes (like getting in at Chicago) I would do another cycle. Maybe even retake, because a few points would make you pretty much a CCN lock and you would be competitive at Harvard. But even assuming no retake, I think you could have a better cycle. A little work experience would likely also make you competitive at Northwestern, which is a great option if you want Chicago.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:14 pm

If you look at OP's other post it looks like this was his third retake. He got a 161 the first two times. So retake is likely not an option. Is it possible that taking the LSAT 3 times is the reason he has so many waitlists?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 pm

woeisme wrote:If you look at OP's other post it looks like this was his third retake. He got a 161 the first two times. So retake is likely not an option. Is it possible that taking the LSAT 3 times is the reason he has so many waitlists?
I took 3 times and I performed exactly as my numbers always do. I think it's more a symptom of applying late. OP, you can do so much better. Would you sit a year out and reapply for 100000 dollars at a t14? Of course.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 pm

woeisme wrote:If you look at OP's other post it looks like this was his third retake. He got a 161 the first two times. So retake is likely not an option. Is it possible that taking the LSAT 3 times is the reason he has so many waitlists?
Doubtful to the bolded, along with the fact that UG institution or major had anything to do with it. I would guess a poorly written app.

Either way, reapply for sure. You should be accepting no less than MVPD with $, although if Cornell gave you a solid scholly offer and you wanted NYC, that would probably be worth considering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Doubtful to the bolded, along with the fact that UG institution or major had anything to do with it. I would guess a poorly written app.

Either way, reapply for sure. You should be accepting no less than MVPD with $, although if Cornell gave you a solid scholly offer and you wanted NYC, that would probably be worth considering.
Lol to the bolded. Why the BCN(G) hate?

Feddy250

New

Post by Feddy250 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 pm

I went to Eastern Illinois University and my undergrad major was Sports Management with minors in Pre-Law and Business Administration. A few reasons why my cycle didn't go so well.

1. Multiple LSATS- 161, 161, and then finally got my 170.
2. Had to apply mid-late January because I took the LSAT in Jun, Oct, and then again in Dec.
3. Three years out of college, lets just say my post-grad work experience is sub-par at best.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 pm

OP, I PM'd you.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Feddy250 wrote:I went to Eastern Illinois University and my undergrad major was Sports Management with minors in Pre-Law and Business Administration. A few reasons why my cycle didn't go so well.

1. Multiple LSATS- 161, 161, and then finally got my 170.
2. Had to apply mid-late January because I took the LSAT in Jun, Oct, and then again in Dec.
3. Three years out of college, lets just say my post-grad work experience is sub-par at best.
One and three are practically irrelevant, but applying late probably did make a difference. You should definitely consider trying again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:00 am

woeisme wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Lol to the bolded. Why the BCN(G) hate?
No h8. The lack of BN was an accidental oversight. CG lag behind a bit in placement.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:21 am

If I were you, I might consider waiting a year and doing the new Northwestern Full Ride Early Decision. If you want Chicago, You almost cannot beat Northwestern for free.

Feddy250

New

Post by Feddy250 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:08 pm

So is there anyone that thinks I shouldn't wait a year? The multiple LSATs being two 161s not hurt as much as I think? How much risk is there in waiting a year with a similar application except my job experience and personal statement?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Feddy250 wrote:So is there anyone that thinks I shouldn't wait a year? The multiple LSATs being two 161s not hurt as much as I think? How much risk is there in waiting a year with a similar application except my job experience and personal statement?
1) No
2) It won't matter
3) Precisely none

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Feddy250 wrote:So is there anyone that thinks I shouldn't wait a year? The multiple LSATs being two 161s not hurt as much as I think? How much risk is there in waiting a year with a similar application except my job experience and personal statement?
It won't hurt you. Plenty of people do it every year. At the very worst, you'll be in this position again next year (although I think we all highly doubt it). The risks of waiting are minimal. The rewards of waiting could be tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships to much better schools, which in turn could lead to hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) in added income over the course of your life.

The Rover

New

Post by The Rover » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote: You almost cannot beat Northwestern for free.
Tell that to a Ruby

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Shit brah you underperformed. You need to reapply early.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Well, you nabbed Cornell which is not known to be much of a number whorey school. So I'm thinking that it really isn't your application package (e.g., personal statement) that tanked your cycle as much as it is your late application.

I'd really think about writing Cornell (which is your best bet at the moment) and explicitly ask them for some financial assistance. If they come back with some sizable money, then you're potentially in the position you'd be in if you chose to wait out a cycle anyway.

You have nothing to lose by doing the above, but if you don't think you can get down with Cornell, then yeah, withdraw your applications and reapply EARLY. Highly probably that you'll have some offers that are more appealing to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”