Tell me about Texas Ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Tell me about Texas Ties

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:One thing to remember about Texas is that Texans are convinced that they live in Paradise. They really don't have an issue understanding why you would want to live here. If you try to convince a Texan that you want to leave their golden state, THATS when you'll get a blank stare.

Anyway. I really don't think "Texas ties" are necessary. Network, act like you love the place, and wear some cowboy boots and nobody will give it a second thought.
0L alert

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm

fathergoose wrote:played baseball at Rice.
You want to admit to this?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:One of my bros got TX biglaw with no ties from UT, but said that people who were around his level of academic achievement with ties got more offers and at "better name" firms.

See also:

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: If you don't find something in the region your 1L summer, that's a huge red flag. If you got a 1L biglaw SA, then probably is most likely solved but this won't happen for most people. If you do what everyone else is doing (judicial internship/PI/RA/small firms/summer classes) than that's not a very compelling story by itself about why you want to stay in the area. I know someone at UT with good grades, who was in Texas in 1L summer, and whiffed on 2L OCI. Why? Biggest reason is that this person didn't have many Texas ties and that made firms paranoid.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Sometimes attending a school in an area might be enough to show local employers you want to live there. But many times that's not going to be enough. If you attend UT with 0 ties to Texas and go to interviews and say you like the weather and you don't want to pay income taxes--many firms will ding you (even if you have high grades). Many secondary firms do not want to invest in associates who bail after a few years.
cosigned. TX is insular, but not that insular. Going to UT and demonstrating that you have a desire to stay here (e.g., staying 1L summer in TX or working on things TX-related) should be sufficient ties-wise during OCI for many firms. My situation was a bit more unique in that since I wasn't K-JD and had pretty extensive personal and professional ties to my hometown (also a large market), there would always be some skepticism about my true intentions on whether I really did want Houston/Dallas.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:04 pm

If I've tried the Texas Toast at DQ is that sufficient for ties?

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Gail wrote:
Rice is a perennial powerhouse in baseball. They are currently ranked in the top 10, were in the CWS as recently as 2008, and won a title in 2003.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
Gail wrote:
Rice is a perennial powerhouse in baseball. They are currently ranked in the top 10, were in the CWS as recently as 2008, and won a title in 2003.
Yeah but playing college baseball is pretty TTT.

OP, I'm working in Houston this summer as a 1L with literally zero ties; I grew up in Maryland and go to school at Michigan. If you go to school in TX and work there your 1L summer I'm sure you will be able to come up with a convincing reason you want to live their long term. That's all that ties accomplish for most people.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Gail wrote:
I didn't play at Rice, just that Rice is one of those schools down here that if you find a hiring partner who went there and you are socially functional (hard to find at Rice so I used an athlete as an example because they tend to be the most normal there in my experience) then it's a huge door opener.

I also did not go to St Marks but I do admit to being a homer for the Astros

The point is that Texas is so insular and standoffish with the rest of the country that it gives you an easier opportunity to connect with the person you are interviewing with. Rice people love Rice people. Aggies love Aggies. Longhorns love longhorns. Also each of the major cities has distinct personalities and usually people from there can tell if you are sincere in your interest or faking.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Gail wrote:
Rice is actually one of the top baseball programs in the country.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:
Gail wrote:
Yeah but playing college baseball is pretty TTT.

OP, I'm working in Houston this summer as a 1L with literally zero ties; I grew up in Maryland and go to school at Michigan. If you go to school in TX and work there your 1L summer I'm sure you will be able to come up with a convincing reason you want to live their long term. That's all that ties accomplish for most people.
The T-Sips take it very seriously. So do the Aggies. Generally, college baseball is seen as one of the three major college sports in Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote: The T-Sips take it very seriously.
:lol:

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 pm

c/o 1972..Gig em'

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Would having family live in TX count as "ties"? I am not from TX and have only visited a handful of times.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:41 pm

lisjjen wrote:Texas Ties
ONLY $75!?! I think this is a must have for all OCIs in Texas. Esp if you are from OOS.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:53 pm

f0bolous wrote:
rad lulz wrote:One of my bros got TX biglaw with no ties from UT, but said that people who were around his level of academic achievement with ties got more offers and at "better name" firms.

See also:

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: If you don't find something in the region your 1L summer, that's a huge red flag. If you got a 1L biglaw SA, then probably is most likely solved but this won't happen for most people. If you do what everyone else is doing (judicial internship/PI/RA/small firms/summer classes) than that's not a very compelling story by itself about why you want to stay in the area. I know someone at UT with good grades, who was in Texas in 1L summer, and whiffed on 2L OCI. Why? Biggest reason is that this person didn't have many Texas ties and that made firms paranoid.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Sometimes attending a school in an area might be enough to show local employers you want to live there. But many times that's not going to be enough. If you attend UT with 0 ties to Texas and go to interviews and say you like the weather and you don't want to pay income taxes--many firms will ding you (even if you have high grades). Many secondary firms do not want to invest in associates who bail after a few years.
cosigned. TX is insular, but not that insular. Going to UT and demonstrating that you have a desire to stay here (e.g., staying 1L summer in TX or working on things TX-related) should be sufficient ties-wise during OCI for many firms. My situation was a bit more unique in that since I wasn't K-JD and had pretty extensive personal and professional ties to my hometown (also a large market), there would always be some skepticism about my true intentions on whether I really did want Houston/Dallas.
Yeah, I may have come across a bit too pessimistic in those quotes. Texas is insular and ties can matter, but I do know a good chunk of people that did not have trouble getting something either 1L summer or 2L summer with no ties before law school. (And I know a person who did 1L summer out of Texas and was able to get offers for 2L SAs in Texas.) Ties can matter at the margins and can be a problem that needs to be overcome by 1) people with a resume that screams another location outside of Texas or 2) people with zero ties who maybe aren't the strongest interviewers (or just not able to sell the interviewers on the idea that they want to stay in Texas).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:00 pm

I think as every year goes past and more and more people flock into Texas, the ties become less and less important.

Hell, half the people in D/FW weren't born here.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Nova wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Texas Ties
ONLY $75!?! I think this is a must have for all OCIs in Texas. Esp if you are from OOS.
I was thinking of cocktail party/ boat cruise type situations where it's somewhat expected to be FaF.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”