BLS(26k) vs. UMD(7.5k+instate) vs. Work+Poker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

me love law school

BLS
4%
UMD
15%
Work+Poker
81%

Total votes: 26

superjohnnnn

New

BLS(26k) vs. UMD(7.5k+instate) vs. Work+Poker

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 am

[
Last edited by superjohnnnn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

justicefishy

Bronze

Re: BLS(26k) vs. UMD(7.5k+instate) vs. Work+Poker

Post by justicefishy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 am

If you were into a T-14 or a T1 with good money, that'd be one thing. You're not. Your job sounds awesome and you seem to be enjoying itself and only seem to want law school to feel older. Plus, the schools you're into won't get you those 160k a year jobs (not ultra-successful at all); they'll get you 45k a year jobs, if you get one at all (you'll be better off financially if you stick with where you are, plus less stressed with no debt). Stay where you are, or, if you must go to law school, retake and get into a much better school. Hell, if another degree matters that much, wait a few years and go get an MBA.

Artistry

New

Post by Artistry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 am

You should play chess instead. It'll help you develop the logical skills you'll need to help conquer law school. :wink:

Either that or retake.

If you must go, Maryland so you can stay close to your ties.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:57 am

You don't have a single good reason to go to law school. You have a good job and a reasonable lifestyle. You should not go to law school and enjoy the lifestyle. If you want to grow up, go do some serious charity work.

Don't assume that law is rewarding. It isn't for everyone. And you don't have a certain career either.

Also, working a lot of hours one year is very different than working long hours year after year.

I think you can find what you are looking for somewhere else. Giving up you job and going to law school would be a mistake you will regret.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Considering what you make now is likely what you'll make upon graduation, staying in your current job with no debt sounds pretty sweet.

Retake and reapply to better schools if you still decide you want to go. Until then, enjoy irresponsibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 am

Would you have to take on debt for law school? If so, how much? Do you already have any student loan debt?

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Robespierre wrote:Would you have to take on debt for law school? If so, how much? Do you already have any student loan debt?
Thanks all for the replies and advice so far.
No student loan debt. Not taking on any debt for law school ... the rents are going to take care of it if need be.

And to an earlier poster : working long hours year after year - i've done my whole life.
Worked for my father while in school while double DEGREEing(not simply double majoring) and still finished in 3.5 years. FYI- double degree requires another 2 semester's worth of credits.
Last edited by superjohnnnn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Considering what you make now is likely what you'll make upon graduation, staying in your current job with no debt sounds pretty sweet.

Retake and reapply to better schools if you still decide you want to go. Until then, enjoy irresponsibility.
yes but don't people relish the challenge of being part of the upper bimodal salary distribution law graduates? yes - i have no debt and im willing to give up a pretty comfortable lifestyle to take on the challenge of finishing in the top 10%.

someone talk me out of it.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:Considering what you make now is likely what you'll make upon graduation, staying in your current job with no debt sounds pretty sweet.

yes but don't people relish the challenge of being part of the upper bimodal salary distribution law graduates? yes - i have no debt and im willing to give up a pretty comfortable lifestyle to take on the challenge of finishing in the top 10%.

Sounds like you need more interesting hobbies. In the DMV you have access to tons of sports/Nationals games, Skiing, Hiking, Traveling, Reading, Networking, Music, etc. Why spring for an unknown when the known is so...idyllic?

Edit: I think most people work because they have found their "calling" or because they feel they NEED work's benefits to enjoy life, not because of some amorphous challenge. You have the ability to just enjoy life. There are challenges everywhere, you don't need to throw away what you have to find them. Relax.
Last edited by jkpolk on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

superjohnnnn wrote: yes but don't people relish the challenge of being part of the upper bimodal salary distribution law graduates?
Yes. That's why I retook the LSAT. The easiest way to get to that side of the bimodal distribution is to answer LSAT questions quickly and accurately.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:11 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:

The deck is so stacked against you though. It depends on how much you like to gamble.

For someone who plays poker, here's an analogy:

Dude sitting across from you has pocket aces. (T14 school)

You have a 2 and a 6. (Your options)

How many thing have to go correctly for you to beat this guy? These are the people you'll be competing against. Impossible? No, just like the dude with pocket aces isn't guaranteed to win. But wouldn't you rather have pocket aces instead of a handful of nothing?

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:25 pm

polkij333 wrote:
superjohnnnn wrote:

Sounds like you need more interesting hobbies. In the DMV you have access to tons of sports/Nationals games, Skiing, Hiking, Traveling, Reading, Networking, Music, etc. Why spring for an unknown when the known is so...idyllic?
OP here.
the same reason you're going to UVA law instead of... getting a consulting job in McLean, VA. everyone with a 3.5 in any non-fine arts major who graduates around the DMV gets a job in McLean, Reston, DC, or Arlington - in their specialty, or under the "consulting" umbrella. Everyone. lol. I bet you could almost definitely get one too. But you're going to law school.
Last edited by superjohnnnn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Maybe you need smarter friends. Maybe more intellectual discussion in your life. I don't know what you need but I can promise you that law school isn't it. I feel like almost begging you not to go. Going to law because you feel young and bored and directionless is so stupid. There isn't a scale that can measure how stupid that is.

PS. Who might law school be right for? Someone who wants to be a lawyer. Even then, most of the time it is a terrible choice unless financed properly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:[
OP here.
the same reason you're going to UVA law instead of... getting a consulting job in McLean, VA. everyone with a 3.5 in any non-fine arts major who graduates around the DMV gets a job in McLean, Reston, DC, or Arlington - in their specialty, or under the "consulting" umbrella. Everyone. lol. I bet you could almost definitely get one too. But you're going to law school. Lol.
Shrug.
lol.
If I were looking at BLS/UMD I would not be giving up my consulting gig. I would be advancing my career/pursuing a Harvard MBA. Personally, I think anything worse than P/T at Gtown is a losing bet vs. consulting. You're a poker player, think in terms of ROI/expected value.

Edit: My assumption is you are doing this for the money, not because you want to grind at a tiny law firm for 45k/yr, and biglaw job coming straight out of BLS/MD seems more remote than top-10%.

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:02 pm

You sound like a spoiled child.
&
Your job sounds awful, trade up or get an MBA.
Law School isn't for people who are confused about what they want.

What was the GPA/LSAT is there a chance for better options?

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:31 pm

]
Last edited by superjohnnnn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:40 pm

]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Go part time at UMD. Stimulating discussion in the evening. Ballin' on the weekend. Money during the day.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

A few reasons why you should not go now...

1. Your life right now sounds a hell of a lot more awesome than law school. It also sounds more fun than working as an average lawyer.
2. Your reasons for wanting to go to law school are not very good or concrete.
3. Your current law school options are not very good.

If you want to do this law school thing, you need to really think it through and do it the right way. Come up with some realistic goals and sound reasons for going to law school, take a year off to continue working and playing cards, study harder for the LSAT, retake it, and do a full cycle the right way. This is a big investment, both financially and as a career. Rushing in now is not a good idea, so make sure this is something you really want, and then put yourself in a position for career success.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”