Part-time programs in North Carolina/ commuters? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Carolina

New

Part-time programs in North Carolina/ commuters?

Post by Carolina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:57 pm

As this is the Top Law Schools discussion I may be out of place posting here. I am not trying to get into a top law school but I would love any feedback fellow posters can offer.

Hi. I am 31, the mother of two small children ( kindergarten and preschool) married to a solo practioner in rural NC. I currently work full-time as a reporter but have decided I am up for the challenge of law school. My husband is very supportive of the idea but due to living atleast two to three hours from any law schools I am thinking a part-time program would be best. My husband has a well-established practice and I do not want him to leave it.
With that said, N.C. Central, Charlotte School of Law and Charleston School of law (with part time programs) appear to be my only options granted I get in. All are three-day per week programs and my intent is to get a place near the school and stay there 2 to 3 nights a week --hoping for minimal impact on children as with my work I am gone 2 to 3 nights a week anyway.
I am fortunate to have my husband's practice waiting for me when I graduate so I am not as concerned about the lack of prestige for the newer schools (Charleston and Charlotte) that offer the part-time programs compared with other schools. Should I be?
Is anyone here planning to attend law school within such a distance from family and keep up a twice a week commute?
I am prepping for the LSAT now but also wondering if I should go ahead and quit my job to focus on preparing for the LSAT.
Any advice? :?:

Alan

Bronze

Re: Part-time programs in North Carolina/ commuters?

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Based on your post, my gut feeling is I dont think you should quit your job. Although Im sure its going to be very difficult to find time to raise your family, work full time, and prep for the LSAT, you are still like 16 months away from starting school (not sure if those programs have spring start dates, but thats still 9 months away).

May I ask what your practice test scores are around? gpa? Are you thinking of taking the June, Oct, or Dec test?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Part-time programs in North Carolina/ commuters?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:04 am

Take an LSAT prep course. Internet courses are available from BluePrint, Manhattan, PowerScore & others. Repost for advice after you receive your LSAT score.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”